Best game YOU ever played in?!?!

Hmm. Good Question.

I played in multiple state tournaments, never won a title though. 2nd place was best finish. I never did much personally in those games, but there were a few exceptions. Had a 5 hit game once in State tournament. Almost hit for the cycle once. Got plunked twice my final two plate appearances. Would've been a cool memory.

The best game I ever played in would probably have to be the first time our Amateur team made State. So the qualifying win. Didn't get a bunt down. Got down 0-2 in the count and ended up getting a base hit to give us runners on 1st and 2nd. Ended up scoring the go-head run. We were down 2-1 at the start of the bottom of the 8th, then we held on.

lots of great sports memories, took me a while to think of that one.

• Plus1 3

My sports career was long and unimpressive. Played youth football, baseball, basketball and in high school played tennis, basketball and football. The only thing any of my teams ever did was won midget football one year and a couple years of basketball in a YMCA league. Our high school teams blew at everything except wrestling. I tried wrestling once when I was about 6th grade. I wasn’t fat or heavy but they matched me with a kid 2 years older for my very first match. He picked me up, dropped me on my head and I broke my collarbone. That was the end of wrestling for me.

I got cut from varsity basketball my senior year so a few of us ex players played intramurals and destroyed everyone, even the teachers team that had never been beat.

The high point of my basketball career was my junior year playing JV ball. We had to go play at Benson. Dave Hoppen played JV and Varsity for them that year. My job in the JV game was basically to beat the crap out of him, shove him around and keep him away from the basket. I’m only about 5’-10”...I was pretty good at defense but he still got a bunch of boards but I don’t think he scored a lot. I fouled out. Of course he only played about half the JV game, didn’t want to get too tired for varsity I guess. Played against Rathman in football and basketball all through jr high and high school. He wasn’t anything special at b-ball but football......think I still have cleat marks from him running me over. I played linebacker and some fullback. He was the fullback in a wishbone set. Senior year they beat us 42-7...

Oh, and one time I shot  a 37, 1over par on 9holes of golf. By far the best I’ve ever done. Usually doing pretty good to get below 90 on 18 occasionally. I was possessed that day.

Ha, that ought to tell you something about my athletic prowess. My best memories are getting beat by actual good players.

Edited by El Diaco
  • Plus1 2

State Championship football game my senior year.  We won.  I was also blessed enough to win an individual State Gold Medal that same year in track.  State Championship game was great.  Super cold.  I think the wind chill was near zero.  College games weren’t as memorable, probably because we weren’t as good as my HS team,.  Had a few memorable track meets in college.  I got to compete in Europe.  That was cool.

• Plus1 2

I didn't realize I was associating with such athletic royalty.  This is some pretty impressive stuff!  Mine are pretty tame by comparison.  I briefly held the 2 mile track record at my high school.  Ran small college cross country and was always the # 1 or # 2 runner for 4 years.  Started running seniors track 3 years ago and set the state seniors record for the 50 meter sprint and held it for 2 years.  It was broken this year by a guy from Illinois.  Didn't play basketball in high school but started learning the game in college.  At age 44 I took some friends to a mens basketball 32 team tournament in Iowa.  You started on Friday night and played as many as 8 games in 24 hours.  We won our first 2 games and had to play a team from I think Cedar Rapids Iowa.  They were loaded with good small college athletes and we only had two who played college.  I ended up guarding a kid who had been on the roster at Iowa State.  We lost by 10 but I held him to 8 points and I had 6.  

13 hours ago, El Diaco said:

My sports career was long and unimpressive. Played youth football, baseball, basketball and in high school played tennis, basketball and football. The only thing any of my teams ever did was won midget football one year and a couple years of basketball in a YMCA league. Our high school teams blew at everything except wrestling. I tried wrestling once when I was about 6th grade. I wasn’t fat or heavy but they matched me with a kid 2 years older for my very first match. He picked me up, dropped me on my head and I broke my collarbone. That was the end of wrestling for me.

I got cut from varsity basketball my senior year so a few of us ex players played intramurals and destroyed everyone, even the teachers team that had never been beat.

The high point of my basketball career was my junior year playing JV ball. We had to go play at Benson. Dave Hoppen played JV and Varsity for them that year. My job in the JV game was basically to beat the crap out of him, shove him around and keep him away from the basket. I’m only about 5’-10”...I was pretty good at defense but he still got a bunch of boards but I don’t think he scored a lot. I fouled out. Of course he only played about half the JV game, didn’t want to get too tired for varsity I guess. Played against Rathman in football and basketball all through jr high and high school. He wasn’t anything special at b-ball but football......think I still have cleat marks from him running me over. I played linebacker and some fullback. He was the fullback in a wishbone set. Senior year they beat us 42-7...

Oh, and one time I shot  a 37, 1over par on 9holes of golf. By far the best I’ve ever done. Usually doing pretty good to get below 90 on 18 occasionally. I was possessed that day.

Ha, that ought to tell you something about my athletic prowess. My best memories are getting beat by actual good players.

Is that also a description of your johnson?  long and unimpressive

Edited by teachercd
  • Plus1 1

8th grade football.  Down 28-0 at halftime.  Came back to bring it it to OT 35-35.  Then lost on a deep pass where our fastest player was torched.

Had a 56-55 triple OT game as a freshman in high school.  We won that one, but I didn't play much.

The most fun I ever had was a JV basketball game as a sophomore.  We only dressed 6 guys that game and 3 of them fouled out quickly, so we went 5-on-3.  2 of us were centers and a tiny nerd who never played was the 3rd guy.  We just shot 3s the entire 2nd half, and I hit a nonsense half court shot just because the coach dared me to with like 8 minutes left on the clock.  We only lost by like 15.

Edited by The Dude
  • Plus1 1

Senior year of varsity football, the last game of the year.

We won my first game as a junior then we went winless on the season. One of my good friends was severely injured nearly losing his life during a game, and was in a coma for quite awhile. We were about to be winless the whole season my senior year, playing the top 4 or 5 teams in class A. One being the eventual state champs, Millard North in their prime. We traveled to North Platte and kick some butt though. I don't remeber a whole lot of the game, but I do remember how awesome it felt to grind through two seasons like that and still go out a winner.

My favorite play on the year though was being the pulling tackle on 14 dart read option; where the QB road my block on a backer, then scrapped off for a long TD run.

• Plus1 1

Nothing spectacular for me. I played Football and Baseball. I wrestled and also threw shot and discus. My junior year was kind of the blossoming year where I became a starter on the football team, qualified for the state wrestling tournament. I would say the best game I played in would have to be playoffs vs Adams Central in football. We lost. It was a first round game. Had drawn a 7 seed with a 7-1 record (only loss to the State Runner up Boone Central) and a #9 or #10 ranking. Adams Central was like #5 I want to say.

Wrestling in the state tournament though probably doesn't constitute a "game" but qualifying 2 years would be the highlights of my career. I never medaled though I had beaten multiple medalists. I generally don't like to count it but at Midwest Classic a month after the state tournament I pinned the Class A state champion from Kearney. That was fun, cool.....yet meaningless since it wasn't a school sponsored event. So I don't have anything impressive to fit this category.

I've had way more highlights as a coach for 8 years than I did as a participant.

We won a team title at my previous school in Class C wrestling a few years ago. That state tournament was super awesome/fun.

• Plus1 1

so in 8th grade, I ran the 800, and was decent at it (played baseball in high school so I couldn't do track) and on the first turn, one of my shoes got clipped off and I ran basically 700/800 meters with one shoe, and won. That was pretty fun

Last high school football game I played, we beat our Rival York, and Beat Crete 35-20 in the state championship, our only state title (2001)

And I was in Sam Koch's class so I can always say I played with a super bowl champion in high school!

• Plus1 1