Best game YOU ever played in?!?!

19 hours ago, teachercd said:

We should make a list of Nebraska High School Football teams that have sort of stayed at the top over the last 20 years.

Norfolk Catholic

Kearney Catholic

Howells (I think that is the one)

Millard North

University of Nebraska?

I know, I know, they haven't been on top over the last 20 years and they aren't a high school team but if they were......

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:47 PM, Coach Power'T said:

Nothing spectacular for me. I played Football and Baseball. I wrestled and also threw shot and discus. My junior year was kind of the blossoming year where I became a starter on the football team, qualified for the state wrestling tournament. I would say the best game I played in would have to be playoffs vs Adams Central in football. We lost. It was a first round game. Had drawn a 7 seed with a 7-1 record (only loss to the State Runner up Boone Central) and a #9 or #10 ranking. Adams Central was like #5 I want to say.

Wrestling in the state tournament though probably doesn't constitute a "game" but qualifying 2 years would be the highlights of my career. I never medaled though I had beaten multiple medalists. I generally don't like to count it but at Midwest Classic a month after the state tournament I pinned the Class A state champion from Kearney. That was fun, cool.....yet meaningless since it wasn't a school sponsored event. So I don't have anything impressive to fit this category.

I've had way more highlights as a coach for 8 years than I did as a participant.

We won a team title at my previous school in Class C wrestling a few years ago. That state tournament was super awesome/fun.

I would list Midwest Classic in there.  It's almost as tough as the state tourney IMO.  My boys wrestle in it every year and my oldest last year had  4 state medalist in his bracket,  2 of them champs, a runner-up and a 3rd place finisher.  

On 10/23/2017 at 7:57 PM, TonyStalloni said:

They really put some good teams together starting in the early 90's till about 6 years ago when they moved up to class B for a few years.  They are now back in C2.  They often have solid skill players but struggle to get enough dominant linemen.

They are in Seward's basketball conf now!

On 10/23/2017 at 8:01 PM, teachercd said:

We should make a list of Nebraska High School Football teams that have sort of stayed at the top over the last 20 years.

Norfolk Catholic

Kearney Catholic

Millard North

What about some more recent powers? Elkhorn South, Skutt, Neumann, Aurora, ect?

Edited by skers44

Grew up in the Panhandle, a Class D1 School.  Football basketball and track. Football we were really good, my senior year lost to the eventual state champs in double OT game in a massive blizzard at their place, was 2 time All state as a DB.  Was an 8 time qualifier in track with three medals.

But basketball is where the best game occurred.  Playing Banner Co to end the regular season my sophomore year.  Had invited a senior girl from the neighboring town who I was trying to woo to the game.  Appeared to be the worse decision ever.  Missed every shot and back rimmed a dunk for the entire close game.  Until with 5 seconds left hit a 3 to send it to OT.  That was the spark.  Hit another 3 at the buzzer to send it into 2OT.  They hit on to send it to a third OT.  Ended up maybe missing one shot in the 3 OTs and finished scoring almost 30 including a redemption break away dunk to ice it.

Great back and forth game that as TO would say “they sold a lot of popcorn”. Went from an embarrassing night with my crush watching to icing the deal with her at the time.  

• Plus1 2

On 10/23/2017 at 8:01 PM, teachercd said:

Norfolk Catholic

Kearney Catholic

Millard North

Humphrey St. Francis. My senior year they were our first game of the season. First game was cancelled because the other team only had 9 kids. It was their homecoming game in an absolute downpour. I remember their starting end lining up and saying "We'll take it easy on you guys." We only had 11 kids.

Scored a 20 yard TD run via a fullback dive. My best friend who played guard created a monster hole for me

Intercepted a pass and dislocated my left shoulder at the same time and gained 15-20 yards off of it while my shoulder was still dislocated hahaha.

My last JV game I sacked the QB causing a fumble and my twin brother recovered it in the end zone for a TD

• 2 weeks later...

I was pretty hopeless at everything except golf, so that was the one thing I did competitively. I had the low scoring average for my high school team my junior and senior year; we were never a great squad though. My personal best day as a high school golfer was a three way match play competition against Madison East HS and Middleton HS (this was in Wisconsin); I aced the 13th Hole at Pleasant View CC in Middleton and broke 80 for the first time in the same round. One of my opponents later became one of Steve Stricker's brother in-laws.

I also kicked four goals in a quarter playing in a Denver metro Aussie Rules league one time.