Purdue Week Pressers

Mavric

Execution has been "hit and miss," Husker offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf told reporters following Monday's practice.

"We've had quite a few 3-4 teams (as opponents), which has hurt some of the running back stuff," he said.

Nose tackles in 3-4 defenses can be disruptive to inside screens, he said.

In addition, "We've had some man-to-man looks where we haven't gotten the screen started, both in the running back stuff and the wide receiver screens," he said. "We certainly haven't been nearly as efficient with those plays as we've had the past few years.

LJS

If by "the past few years" he means "since we've been here" then I would agree.  We are about the worst screen team I've ever seen, despite extensive work and talk.

But apparently Langs has identified the problem.  Defenses are doing what he likes them to do.  They are apparently actually trying to stop us, something we should look into.  

Apparently our screen game only works in one specific situation - if the other team is running a 4-3 with a zone defense behind it.  Other than that, we're screwed.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He’s always so positive and happy with how practice goes. Wish one of these times it would translate into a good start to finish thumping like the 2011 Michigan State game or the 2010 Missouri game. Feel like I haven’t seen a solid game since then (at least a conference/team with pulse).

Apparently the coaches told Farmer last week that Farniok would probably start at RG.  That didn't go over the greatest as Farmer has supposedly been grading out as one of the top OL all season and is well-respected in the locker room and weight room.  

But after seeing another week of practice the coaches decided to stick with Farmer.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Apparently the coaches told Farmer last week that Farniok would probably start at RG.  That didn't go over the greatest as Farmer has supposedly been grading out as one of the top OL all season and is well-respected in the locker room and weight room.  

But after seeing another week of practice the coaches decided to stick with Farmer.

It's like the coaches completely make things up for reasons to start or not start some guys.

On 10/23/2017 at 1:49 PM, ladyhawke said:

I hope Tre gets his medical redshirt approved. Man, we've had a lot of injuries this year. Love that Gifford kid.  He's got that Husker swagger that I hope he continues to spread around to others on the team.  I sure do miss  that Husker swag.  That toughness that made other teams dread playing you because they knew in advance that we would destroy them. 

I agree on both accounts.  Gifford has impressed me from day one.  He has the heart and seems to give it 100% each play.