The Fundamental Nebraska Problem With Trying To Do A BIackout

knapplc

I took this photo just before the Wisconsin game started and got a pretty decent representation of the crowd at what was supposed to be our Blackout.  As you can see, there's quite a bit of black in the stands.  Lots of red, some white/gray, etc. But mostly black, which is impressive for a social-media based campaign that started maybe a week before the game.  This is as solid of an effort from the fans as you're going to see unless the University partners with Adidas to give everyone a free shirt. 

But there's still a huge natural hindrance to the whole thing, and it basically means we can't really ever do a true Blackout at Nebraska.

Can anyone tell what the problem is?

mSBFkvG.jpg

• Plus1 1

I don't know what you're getting at specifically, but the general problem of all of this is that what we saw during the Wisconsin game is about as far as you can make a b******* go without official endorsement and draping shirts on every chair, or putting the instructions on season tickets or something.

A 60% black crowd doesn't do anything. It's gotta be 100% or 0%.

Because it's a stupid idea.  I don't own any black Husker gear, so they're asking me to wear something in generic black instead of the school colors.  I own a red hat, red shirt, red sweatshirt, and a red coat with Husker logos.  I don't own any of that in black.  So why not stick with the sea of red thing.

Plus, the opponent at the time wears red.  So there are likely thousands of them sprinkled around in the stadium;  like the guy with the W hat 3 rows down in the picture.  Better to blend them in.

At least Penn State is smart enough to pick one of their school colors.

Edited by InOmaha
  • Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The racial demographics.  The pale skin washes out whatever black a person would see....

DING!DING!DING!

We have a winner. 

Nebraska, demographically, is 86% white. Pale skin washes out the black gear.  Even if we got the university involved and handed out free shirts, we'd still have a half washed-out stadium.  No matter what we do, we'll never have the look we're interested in.