Slang Words Used In Your Area

I didn't know how to phrase the title of this thread, but at work many co-workers use different words to describe the same thing. For instance, we have always called loose meat sandwiches 'Taverns" not Maid-Rites, Sloppy Joe's, Manwhich etc. We also have never bought canned sauce to make them. Kind of like 'taco in a bag' vs 'walking tacos' or 'soda' vs 'pop'. Maybe since I am from rural Iowa we use different terms than the Metro. 

Any terms you use in Nebraska that other regions of Nebraska or the MidWest word differently? Any tavern eaters out there?? 

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

I didn't know how to phrase the title of this thread, but at work many co-workers use different words to describe the same thing. For instance, we have always called loose meat sandwiches 'Taverns" not Maid-Rites, Sloppy Joe's, Manwhich etc. We also have never bought canned sauce to make them. Kind of like 'taco in a bag' vs 'walking tacos' or 'soda' vs 'pop'. Maybe since I am from rural Iowa we use different terms than the Metro. 

Any terms you use in Nebraska that other regions of Nebraska or the MidWest word differently? Any tavern eaters out there?? 

There's a fast food place back in Nebraska where I'm from that sold Taverns and Tavern dogs

I used to say pop, but it seems like everyone almost everywhere has switched to soda (except for the South where they inexplicably call them all Cokes)

I have never heard a loose-meat sandwich referred to as a "tavern."  Interesting.

I just learned today that, in volleyball culture, super fanatic fans are called "foamers," which was a term borrowed from railroad culture to describe train fans.  Left-field reference, there.

I grew up saying "pert near," a contraction of "pretty near," meaning almost or just about. I think that's an eastern-Nebraska thing.

Of course we have our Nebraska cultural foods, like runzas and chili & cinnamon rolls, that most folks don't seem to eat.  I remember being like 12-14 and visiting family out of state and we were going to have chili for dinner and I asked if the cinnamon rolls had icing or no icing, and my out-of-state family looked at me like I was speaking French.  We had to explain to them why that was a pertinent question.  That was my first clue that we had different food experiences here in Nebraska.  We also invented the Reuben sandwich, and you are not to believe any other origin story for the Reuben. It was invented here. Full stop.

I refer to carbonated/sugary beverages as "soda," but apparently that's not a Nebraska thing.  Here's it's "pop" and that sounds weird to me, but I think I'm the weird one.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I have never heard a loose-meat sandwich referred to as a "tavern."  Interesting.

Are you sure you're from eastern Nebraska?

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I grew up saying "pert near," a contraction of "pretty near," meaning almost or just about. I think that's an eastern-Nebraska thing.

Are you really sure you're from eastern Nebraska?

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I refer to carbonated/sugary beverages as "soda," but apparently that's not a Nebraska thing.  Here's it's "pop" and that sounds weird to me, but I think I'm the weird one.

There is no way you're from eastern Nebraska. I am revoking your Nebraska card, effective immediately.

Maybe we will let you claim Scottsbluff. That will thin out any irregularities...:P

I grew up in the Platte River valley north of Fremont. Lots of family just across the river in Saunders county.  But also lots of family in Illinois, and we used to visit them a lot.

"Pert near" is pretty common around Fremont, or was when I lived there.  The soda thing is probably a Chicago influence.

I've only heard them called taverns in north eastern Nebraska.

Something that always drives me nuts especially in rural NE is "I seen". No, you saw!

Things I've learned being in Michigan

• A convenience store is called a "party store".
  • Soda is always called pop.
  • For some reason they love to make things plural. People work at Chryslers, Fords, or the grocery store Meijers. All of which do not have an S at the end. It drives me nuts!
  • Going "Up North" is colloquial for going on vacation somewhere in the less populated areas of northern Michigan.
  • UP is the upper peninsula of Michigan.
  • There is no DMV. It's the Secretary of State (S.O.S)
  • Detroit style pizza is something like an anti chicago style pizza, with a crust that is atleast an inch thick and a traditional thickness of toppings, sauce and cheese that you find on almost any other style.

Edited by ZRod
3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Something that always drives me nuts especially in rural NE is "I seen". No, you saw!

This one drives me nuts as well

Must be some lame parties in Michigan :lol: 

My gf (originally from MI) said she used call it pop but all of her Californian cousins made fun of her till she stopped

• For some reason they love to make things plural. People work at Chryslers, Fords, or the grocery store Meijers. All of which do not have an S at the end. It drives me nuts!
  • Going "Up North" is colloquial for going on vacation somewhere in the less populated areas of northern Michigan.
  • Detroit style pizza is something like an anti chicago style pizza, with a crust that is atleast an inch thick and a traditional thickness of toppings, sauce and cheese that you find on almost any other style.

Do chuckle at the almost-Canadian accents up there? 

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I thought they called grocery shopping "Meijering" out there!

Well the parties stories always have liquor so...

The Michigan accent, to me, sounds nothing like the Canadians. Michigan is predominantly a nasally sound for A's amd sometimes long O's. One word I make fun of everyone here for is Italian, which sounds something like eye-tal-yan. Hard emphasis on the first A. I routinely travel to Canada for work, so I can pick up the slightest hint of a canadian accent now. It's a curse really. I can't even tell you what the actual accent sounds like, but as soon as they say a few words I know who they really are. :lol:

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I thought they called grocery shopping "Meijering" out there!

Ha never heard of it like that. Meijer is basically a classy Walmart with the s#!tties produce ever. It seriously rots within days everytime. Gotta go to Kroger for the good stuff.

Just now, ZRod said:

Ha never heard of it like that. Meijer is basically a classy Walmart with the s#!tties produce ever. It seriously rots within days everytime. Gotta go to Kroger for the good stuff.

My cousin went to MSU, this was years and years ago...he said the students always called it "Meijeriing"...maybe that was just an MSU thing.

• Liquor stores - "packies"
  • Water cooler - "bubbler"
  • Purse - "pocket book"
  • Jeans - "dungerees"
  • Asphalt - "hot top"
  • Pop - "soda or tonic"
  • Hoagie - "grinder"
  • Sack - "bag"
  • Grocery cart - "carriage"
  • Go downstairs - "down cellar"
  • Damp & cool weather - "raw"
  • Malt (the drink) - "frappe"
  • Sprinkles - "jimmies"

There are hundreds more - New England is weird.  (funnier yet are the actual pronouciations of the above words)

4 minutes ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Aren't loose meat sandwiches and sloppy joes two different things?

I think so. Loose meat (Maid Rites or whatever the Iowegians call them) have no sauce. Sloppy Joes (Taverns) have sauce. At least that's my understanding