What was the best candy to get on Halloween?

I grew up pretty poor, so candy was never, ever in the house. The only time I got candy was Halloween, and I harvested my town for every bit I could get and hoarded it for as long as possible (or until my sister found my stash and raided it).  There were always those houses that gave out great candy, and of course those houses that gave out awful candy.  Today I only give out good stuff, mostly from my "good stuff" list, because I'm not giving some poor kid awful candy if it's their one shot at candy all year. 

The best thing to see in your bag:

Butterfinger

Jolly Rancher

Crunch

Reese's Peanut Butter Cups

Kit-Kat

I didn't even care if these were the original size or "fun size," they were good.

The worst thing to see in your bag:

Licorice of any kind

Those orange/black chewy things (no idea what they're called)

Tootsie Rolls

Mounds coconut disasterbombs

Super cheap/rock hard bubble gum

I would try to trade these when me & my friends got done, but you would always have to do a two-for- or three-for-one deal on this stuff.  Nobody liked any of it, and NOBODY would trade for those orange & black things. You were just stuck with them.

• Plus1 1

For me the best candy was anything chocolate. I have a pretty serious chocolate addiction. Favorites would be Kit Kats, Butterfinger, and Twix.

The worst would be things like Bit O Honey, Mary Janes, or anything that doesn't hold up once it's out of the larger bag that it's packaged in. Also, anything black licorice flavored. Blech.

I was listening to the DJ on the radio last night as he was talking about the top 5 neighborhoods in major cities for Halloween candy as ranked by Zillow.

He got to talking about how he hates those people that drive their van full of kids around to every neighborhood. So now he has 2 buckets of candy each year. Good candy for the kids from his neighborhood that are out putting in the work to go door-to-door and a bucket of "sh*tty" candy (Bit O Honey, etc.) for the kids that get dropped off. :lol: 

Just now, knapplc said:

Yes. What are those things?

You are automatically a bad person if you give those to children on Halloween.

The first thing I found was Mary Jane Peanut Butter Kisses

The description doesn't sound that bad:

Famously classic, Necco's wrapped Kisses are an Autumn favorite that's sure to warm your tummy on a cold and rainy day. Their simply delightful designs makes these munchies perfect for inventive Halloween candy buffet displays. If you can't resist, untwist a shiny wrapper in bold black or frightful orange to reveal a soft, bite-size taffy in a tasty caramel color. A dollop of salty, scrumptious peanut butter hides inside a chewy candy taffy that tastes of sweet, smoky molasses. Delicious!

But I remember throwing them out because they're just not very tasty

I'm not a big candy person but I do like most chocolate bars. Dum Dums are okay but most suckers suck.

The Best

Butterfingers

Snickers

Reeses

Crunch/Krackle

Mr. Goodbar

Tootsie Rolls

The Bad

Yeah, those little hard orange & black cardboard flavored things (there should be a law against these)

Candy Corn (if this is what you handout, feel bad, very bad)

Bubble Gum (The stuff I used to get at the Zesto as a kid was soft & good but bazooka or that stuff you would get with baseball cards, nasty)

Jolly Ranchers (just save the money and leave your lights off)

2 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I'm not a big candy person but I do like most chocolate bars. Dum Dums are okay but most suckers suck.

The Best

Butterfingers

Snickers

Reeses

Crunch/Krackle

Mr. Goodbar

Tootsie Rolls

The Bad

Yeah, those little hard orange & black cardboard flavored things (there should be a law against these)

Candy Corn (if this is what you handout, feel bad, very bad)

Bubble Gum (The stuff I used to get at the Zesto as a kid was soft & good but bazooka or that stuff you would get with baseball cards, nasty)

Jolly Ranchers (just save the money and leave your lights off)

A big ditto on that list.  

• Plus1 1

Heath bars, and the vanilla/cherry flavored tootsie rolls.

I grew up on a farm, but we'd go into town to trick-or-treat when I was a kid. We always went to the same neighborhood, and there was an old lady that handed out 20oz bottles of pop. Always seemed weird/awesome....

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
5 minutes ago, GSG said:

Did anyone ever get money? I remember one house used to hand out nickels :blink:

Yes! There was a lady that gave out $1 bills..... There was also a guy (got me reminiscing now) that would ride around the neighborhood on a bike dressed like the Scream guy, handing out candy.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway