My Country tis of thee, sweet land of sensitivity

I don't get why they didn't leave it at just "we are moving them to a different location in the building so our parishioners can gain a better understanding of our church's history."

making a point to say say people were offended and didn't return for that reason just sounds silly.

3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't get why they didn't leave it at just "we are moving them to a different location in the building so our parishioners can gain a better understanding of our church's history."

making a point to say say people were offended and didn't return for that reason just sounds silly.

My guess would be that the members acted in such a way because they knew that it would get results.  At this point, people are just doing it because they can.

'Coming after Mt. Rushmore next' feels a tad hyperbolic and exotic but, unless you're being completely literal, I think I understand the point you're making.

This seems like an odd decision. On one hand, there's almost no way this church can separate itself from either of those men entirely. Furthermore, those two men are probably the biggest the reason the church has lasted 250 years. Without all the facts, removing the plaques seems like taking a shot at your foundation and not in a good way.

On the other hand, I can understand how memorializing those two men might offend some people or not sit well with some. I imagine Lee, whether it's fair or not, draws more ire than Washington.

My partly unsubstantiated opinion believes this all comes down to money (like many things in life). If the church had an abundant congregation and a lot of money then this wouldn't be an issue in any way. They've clearly identified some sort of problem that hits them in their pocket book and they're trying to correct it.

2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/oct/27/george-washingtons-church-tear-down-memorial-honor/

To put it plainly, this is stupid. They're coming for Mt. Rushmore, and every other historical monument they can deem remotely offensive next.

What a time to be alive....

To put it plainly, your reaction to this and the sensationalized and misleading headline is the real 'sensitivity' you're referring to, and quite stupid.

They're taking plaques out of the sanctuary where they could potentially be a distraction (especially the Lee one) or be confusing, and moving them to a different part of the church.

I imagine the only thing this has to do with George Washington is that his plaque is part of a pair with a pack of Lee (someone who shouldn't be memorialized) and they balance the room. 

Nobody is "tearing down" anything. Nobody is coming for George Washington. Nobody is hiding these or taking out the history - they're moving two physical objects to a different room. 

I got all of this "not a big deal" info from your conservative news source. I didn't even need to look for a different article. But, even so, lol @ this:

7IH4bpD.png

WIyej2k.png

Democrats are bad and corrupt! Our President is being attacked! Here are powerful important famous people who agree with us! Our enemies in the fake news are all sexual miscreants! Take us seriously!

Edited by Landlord
  • Plus1 6
3 hours ago, Landlord said:

To put it plainly, your reaction to this and the sensationalized and misleading headline is the real 'sensitivity' you're referring to, and quite stupid.

They're taking plaques out of the sanctuary where they could potentially be a distraction (especially the Lee one) or be confusing, and moving them to a different part of the church.

I imagine the only thing this has to do with George Washington is that his plaque is part of a pair with a pack of Lee (someone who shouldn't be memorialized) and they balance the room. 

Nobody is "tearing down" anything. Nobody is coming for George Washington. Nobody is hiding these or taking out the history - they're moving two physical objects to a different room. 

I got all of this "not a big deal" info from your conservative news source. I didn't even need to look for a different article. But, even so, lol @ this:

Democrats are bad and corrupt! Our President is being attacked! Here are powerful important famous people who agree with us! Our enemies in the fake news are all sexual miscreants! Take us seriously!

:lol: What the hell does the last half of that s#!tpost have to do with the article? You've never seen me defend conservative news outlets on here. And there has been numerous times I've called them out for their journalism. As Enhance alluded too, my reaction was intentionally hyperbolic, I don't think Mt. Rushmore is in any kind of danger, but I can't say the same for American history.

The headline is sensationalized (oh the irony of you criticizing sensationalism), but no more so than the actions the church is taking in the first place. And where in the article did it say they were moving the plaques (to be clear my issue is with them taking issue with the Washington memorial)I must of missed it if it said so. 

if the memorializing of our Presidents begins to offend you, what does that say about you as a person? Surely people aren't that insecure and weak.... Or could it be, as I alluded too earlier, that they're just taking it to that level of sensitivity because they know that they'll see results,because half the population is a bunch of politcally correct apologists who are terrified of offending somebody.

It would be no different than if I moved to England and demanded they take down all King George memorials, because he mistreated my ancestors. It's ridiculous.

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

You'll be a Trump supporter by New Year's.

When have you ever seen me show an ounce of support for Trump? What an idiotic post.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 1

I mean, if we're going to throw out blank statements related to members of political parties, I guess it's safe for me  to assume that Zoogs & Landlord are currently compiling lists of microaggressions, while burning copies of To Kill a Mocking Bird and The Great Gatsby?

Blanket statements!

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
  • Plus1 2
33 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You realized most of the history you learned in grade school is white washed (pardon the pun), and full of half truths right?

Of course. A lot of dark times in our history. A lot of heroic and worthy times as well. Regardless, it all happened, and imo monuments(or whatever) shouldn't be removed once memorialized. Although, I certainly understand the removing of the Confederate monuments.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

What is it about Trumpian politics you're so opposed to? He speaks to your deepest anxieties. Maybe the man himself is the wrong avatar for the movement.

Why Mockingbird, by the way?

And what anxieties are those? You've misinterpreted the context of my posts, I'm not anxious about any of it. I have opinions, but not political anxieties.