My Country tis of thee, sweet land of sensitivity

It's a fear. Not the Halloween, "boo!" "AHHH!" kind of fear, but the kind of fear that makes you an internet warrior against said liberal wussies, who are all about diversity and inclusion and destroying the white man's world. "White privilege is a fallacy" slogans are a stone's throw away from enlisting in the imaginary culture war. 

https://twitter.com/shortman5427 This guy seems like a real treat. 

9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

He doesn't seem fearful to me. It's more of a disapproving amusement and annoyance at all the wussies taking over the world.

This is pretty close, although I definitely think there's a place for compassion in this world (one of the lacking traits that bothers me most about Trump). I just don't give it out freely or, in my opinion, unnecessarily. Probably a bad trait to have, but I won't hide from who I am. I think the overwhelming sympathy you see can be detrimental to the recipients (we discussed this and we disagree here).

4 minutes ago, zoogs said:

It's a fear. Not the Halloween, "boo!" "AHHH!" kind of fear, but the kind of fear that makes you an internet warrior against said liberal wussies, who are all about diversity and inclusion and destroying the white man's world. "White privilege is a fallacy" slogans are a stone's throw away from enlisting in the imaginary culture war. 

https://twitter.com/shortman5427 This guy seems like a real treat. 

You're so way off on me it's becoming comical, zoogs. I'm an internet warrior? The only place I discuss political topics on the internet is a Midwestern university athletic message board. Yeah, I'm a real radical. 

And as for the Twitter link, not a guy I follow. Don't know who he is. Seen the story on FB, searched "George Washington church" on Twitter to provide a link and that was the first one that popped up....

There's nothing 'radical' about such anxieties. I'm talking about fear and how it plays out. You share this thing that drives people such as the guy who runs that Twitter feed. Kindred spirits, in a sense. That's how this stuff gets shared, passed around, etc. 

I don't think you're in that camp, yet. But you seem to share a lot of the same underlying anxieties. Hopefully you don't get there, but you seem to be moving in that direction. Remember what you say about compassion the next time you sneer at the concerns of people who experience the world very differently from you.

Not handing out compassion for free is a non-sequitur. The whole point of compassion is that people who need it are people who are stricken by misfortune (usually through no fault of their own), and an urge to help alleviate suffering.

Regardless, you posted a news story from a hyper partisan website that amounts to absolutely nothing of importance, and ran with it because it reinforced your fear/disapproval/assumption/whatever that "they" are dismantling the (white dominated, white profiting, whitewashed) history of our great pure nation and why can't we just go back to a time when marginalized and disenfranchised and oppressed folk would just keep their mouths shut about the things that offend and cause pain and know their place in the social heirarchy?

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Landlord said:

Not handing out compassion for free is a non-sequitur. The whole point of compassion is that people who need it are people who are stricken by misfortune (usually through no fault of their own), and an urge to help alleviate suffering.

Regardless, you posted a news story from a hyper partisan website that amounts to absolutely nothing of importance, and ran with it because it reinforced your fear/disapproval/assumption/whatever that "they" are dismantling the (white dominated, white profiting, whitewashed) history of our great pure nation and why can't we just go back to a time when marginalized and disenfranchised and oppressed folk would just keep their mouths shut about the things that offend and cause pain and know their place in the social heirarchy?

Getting a little flamboyant with that description of my intentions don't you think? And the Washington Times is literally the Right's version of the Huffington Post, and I see articles from them on here all the time..... 

But hey, you guys keep coddling, and reaffirming that victim mentality into another generation of minorities; we'll see how far that gets them..... Personally, I'd like to see a minority group persevere, and rise above that mentality and see what happens.... Seems to be working pretty well for Asian-Americans.

" And the Washington Times is literally the Right's version of the Huffington Post"

"you guys keep coddling, and reaffirming that victim mentality into another generation of minorities;"

Unfortunate. And please don't use Asian-Americans as a wedge. 

I apologize for being terse here. Not trying to be brusque; there are longer, worthy conversations to be had here on all three points, but it's a lot to get into at once. The summary is that those perceptions are the some of the exact lines advanced by people with political goals far more sinister than yours, and I plead with people not to buy into this stuff.

Edited by zoogs
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

" And the Washington Times is literally the Right's version of the Huffington Post"

"you guys keep coddling, and reaffirming that victim mentality into another generation of minorities;"

Unfortunate. And please don't use Asian-Americans as a wedge. 

I apologize for being terse here. Not trying to be brusque; there are longer, worthy conversations to be had here on all three points, but it's a lot to get into at once. The summary is that those perceptions are the some of the exact lines advanced by people with political goals far more sinister than yours, and I plead with people not to buy into this stuff.

I have no political goals. No agendas. I really don't. I wish no harm, or ill-will on anybody. The advancement of any minority community in this country doesn't make me feel any sort of way, despite what you might think. 

There is a significant difference between where I stand, and where the people you're trying compare me to stand.... They wish ill-will, they fear what progress minorities have made, and they don't think they belong here. My hat is in neither of those rings.

From where I stand, you and I fundamentally disagree on what is the best emotional approach to take with minority communities, in order for them to individually find success at a higher rate. I feel that the "coddling" mentality has ruined a generation of college students, and has done it's fair share of harm to minorities for decades.... You tell them there is no hope, and that the white man won't let them succeed.... And to this point, they have believed you, and it shows.

Edited by B.B. Hemingway
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Getting a little flamboyant with that description of my intentions don't you think? And the Washington Times is literally the Right's version of the Huffington Post, and I see articles from them on here all the time..... 

But hey, you guys keep coddling, and reaffirming that victim mentality into another generation of minorities; we'll see how far that gets them..... Personally, I'd like to see a minority group persevere, and rise above that mentality and see what happens.... Seems to be working pretty well for Asian-Americans.

Who oddly enough are respected as people and rarely discriminated against. Funny how that works...

19 minutes ago, ZRod said:

But those other minorities have a victim mentality if they point out how they are disrespected and discriminated against?

I've never said they weren't disrespected/discriminated against. I've just suggested that a lot of them haven't done much to help their own situations. 

Anyways, going round n' round about this with everyone has become tiring. Agree to disagree. Have a good night, everyone.

I'm only "trying to compare" in cases where you are showing a wholesale buy-in. It's good, reassuring, and expected that you find this comparison repulsive. It's further to your credit that this buy-in you are demonstrating is probably of the careless variety. Not the deep-seated ones. 

Hopefully your recognition of what they are and what they intend will lead you to examine more critically the swill that they've been propagating so widely.

Edited by zoogs
2 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I've just suggested that a lot of them haven't done much to help their own situations. 

Every time you type out this sort of, "those people" sentence, which you've done a lot, really grosses me out.

And what I'm telling you, as someone who does work trying to mentor and provide opportunities (not coddling, not encouraging them to be victims, but giving them goals and infrastructure and hope to rise ABOVE their circumstances), your suggestion is bulls#!t and isn't based in the reality that I see on the streets of south side Chicago.

All that aside, the fact remains that nobody is going to take you seriously if you link such obviously sensationalized and obviously biased articles about stories that just aren't a big deal, and aren't a part of this completely imaginary idea of PC culture and over-sensitive limp-wristed Americans taking over.

Edited by Landlord
  • Plus1 3