Gun powder needs a spark

Well, I've been mostly quiet on Nebraska football this year, but anyone who had any doubts about our coaching situation just needs to look at what perennial Big 12 bottom feeder Iowa State is doing. 2nd year head coach, two wins over top five teams THIS MONTH, top 25 ranking, 6-2 record and sitting at Number 1 in their conference. That is the power of having the right coach. The head coach is the spark to the players gun powder, and I think Riley is out of flint or electrical current. Given his age, probably flint. This is exactly why another coach, preferably, Scott Frost should be leading the Huskers next year. 

• Plus1 1

Bring on #'s 1,2 and 5!

Here's an idea...maybe watch how ISU is running the 3-4 defense and emulating that?  Seems to be working for them.  Oh...or how about recruiting kids that actually want to play rather than be recruited because they had lots of stars behind their name?  Maybe a coaching staff that game plans an entire game and makes adjustments as the game develops?

Okay, I'm gloating now cuz next year it will be back to the same old crap.  But for now, I am going to enjoy the crap out of two things...

1). Iowa State has managed to remove the Big 12 from the playoffs.  Bwahahaha!

2).  Maybe this is the year for someone else's fan base to watch the Cyclones in a bowl game while they sit at home waiting for next year.

• Plus1 4

3 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

Bring on #'s 1,2 and 5!

Here's an idea...maybe watch how ISU is running the 3-4 defense and emulating that?  Seems to be working for them.  Oh...or how about recruiting kids that actually want to play rather than be recruited because they had lots of stars behind their name?  Maybe a coaching staff that game plans an entire game and makes adjustments as the game develops?

Okay, I'm gloating now cuz next year it will be back to the same old crap.  But for now, I am going to enjoy the crap out of two things...

1). Iowa State has managed to remove the Big 12 from the playoffs.  Bwahahaha!

2).  Maybe this is the year for someone else's fan base to watch the Cyclones in a bowl game while they sit at home waiting for next year.

Awesome win.  Watched the whole game.  What's behind the bolded?  Losing a lot of players through graduation?

5 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Well, I've been mostly quiet on Nebraska football this year, but anyone who had any doubts about our coaching situation just needs to look at what perennial Big 12 bottom feeder Iowa State is doing. 2nd year head coach, two wins over top five teams THIS MONTH, top 25 ranking, 6-2 record and sitting at Number 1 in their conference. That is the power of having the right coach. The head coach is the spark to the players gun powder, and I think Riley is out of flint or electrical current. Given his age, probably flint. This is exactly why another coach, preferably, Scott Frost should be leading the Huskers next year. 

"Out of"???? MR never had any flint or electrical current.!

6 hours ago, LumberJackSker said:

yeah but Riley had to deal with toxins and a brick by brick rebuild

Which is why we can only manage 40 yards on the ground against Purdue with a stable of RBs and O-linemen that never even played a game for Bo. :LOLtartar

Edited by Toe
  • Plus1 1

This is a good year for Iowa State but Campbell is likelier to fade than not. McElwain started 10-2 at Florida, now look at him. Leach was being pined for not long ago, and now maybe it’s a four loss regular season there. Franklin and Petersen are killing it, but they are not the rule. 

2 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Awesome win.  Watched the whole game.  What's behind the bolded?  Losing a lot of players through graduation?

We lose Lazard, though I think Butler may end up better.  We lose Campos along with a couple others on the OL.  We lose most of our DBs and LBs.  We'll be starting year 1 in year 3.  Oh...and we'll have no QBs left unless that head case Park comes back.  Time to reload ala Dan McCarney....

6 hours ago, zoogs said:

This is a good year for Iowa State but Campbell is likelier to fade than not. McElwain started 10-2 at Florida, now look at him. Leach was being pined for not long ago, and now maybe it’s a four loss regular season there. Franklin and Petersen are killing it, but they are not the rule. 

Campbell probably won't be Meyer or Saban. McElwain is in a very toxic situation (Nebraska fans, that is a toxic situation). Leach is Leach and has shown to be what he has been his whole career. 

All that doesn't mean Campbell won't be a very good coach going forward.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, jaws said:

Campbell probably won't be Meyer or Saban. McElwain is in a very toxic situation (Nebraska fans, that is a toxic situation). Leach is Leach and has shown to be what he has been his whole career. 

All that doesn't mean Campbell won't be a very good coach going forward.

Very interesting you mention the toxic environment of Nebraska. I was talking with some of my buddies this week and they mentioned how toxic the fan base is and how difficult it may be to bring in someone big. 

8 hours ago, zoogs said:

So your point here is to do nothing and let the worm hunter continue coaching this team ?

correct? So the evidence that his results next year will improve is based on winning against a bad Purdue team? (I do give the team credit for winning a game they were not suppose to win)

10 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

This is why the Athletic Department shouldn't listen to us. Osborne listened to us and we got Bo. The AD needs to hire the best coach available w/o regard to what the fan base desires.

If this board is any indication the entire fan base will implode if Scott Frost isn't hired.

I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion from Zoogs post.

it was pretty easy for me to conclude that by considering the premise is to poo poo the "hot" coach theory- what does that imply? We should stick with the worm hunter because hey these guys don't always work out- now I admit that is just my take on what he was implying, and of course I could be way off base, but you'd have to agree it has a bit of logic to it.- or not, as I've come to understand that this board and the posts here are not always based in logic