Tanner Lee's Progression

BIG ERN

1 minute ago, BIG ERN said:

Not making this thread to give hope that Riley and co. can turn things around. Just wanted to give a shout out to Lee for hanging in there and improving this season without bitching or calling out teammates. I think the year layoff hampered him more than he thought it would mixed in with some abysmal play calling. He also isn't quite as good as many speculated, but for sure looks pretty good as of late. I said before season and still believe that Nebraska has the best WR core in the B10. AND who knew we have a TE. Yes, they are able to catch the ball in an offense. 

First 4 games:

52% 7 TD 9 INT

898 yards 

Last 4 games:

61% 8 TD 1 INT
1,242 yards 

Agree, Lee is looked pretty good these last 4 games.  Dude is a tough SOB too.  He's the front runner for the Zac Taylor toughness trophy for sure (this should totally be a thing).

I don't know if I can go best WR core simply because Nebraska lacks a deep threat.  I do think it's top 3.  While top 3 is good...not too many other teams really throw the ball too much so it feels like a hollow victory a bit.

• Plus1 1

Myself included I gave up on him and was baffled he wasn't benched after his 6th pick six. But he really has improved and he is the reason we beat Purdue. It isn't his fault the offensive line is terrible and the coaches call upon him to throw 50 times a game. He is doing a fantastic job with what he has to deal with and what the OP said what I highly respect Lee was amidst all the bashing he got and the difficult times, the man kept his head down and just went to work. Thanks for proving me wrong Lee.

• Plus1 1

+1, BIG ERN. Great post.

I was thinking the same thing on Saturday night. And in a scenario where Bryant was 100% healthy, this is a good offense with Lee making good decisions and putting the ball on the money like he did against Purdue.

Also, I didn't know where else to put this comment so I'll put it here - That effort by Ozigbo on the comeback drive when caught the ball, turned, got hit, and refused to let his knee touch the turf was amazing. I remember way back in the bowl game against UCLA him catching a screen pass and having good moves in open space. Not the fastest guy, but that move he put on to stay vertical and then spin to make the next tackler miss was some awesome football to watch.

Lee has been playing very well the past few games, and I was very critical of him early in the season (when he wasn't playing well).  With the run blocking in complete shambles, NU's best chance to win the remaining 4 games is to let Lee throw it 50 times a game.  Now, that's not a recipe for success long-term, but it's really the only thing that might work this season..

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Lee has been playing very well the past few games, and I was very critical of him early in the season (when he wasn't playing well).  With the run blocking in complete shambles, NU's best chance to win the remaining 4 games is to let Lee throw it 50 times a game.  Now, that's not a recipe for success long-term, but it's really the only thing that might work this season..

Agreed, run blocking is still so bad. It was interesting that Langsdorf called some outside zone-ish type of run calls when Bradley came in, wasn't it? He's pretty quick and shifty. I definitely want to see more of him and that in the last four games.

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Agreed, run blocking is still so bad. It was interesting that Langsdorf called some outside zone-ish type of run calls when Bradley came in, wasn't it? He's pretty quick and shifty. I definitely want to see more of him and that in the last four games.

I would like to see more Bradley, as well.  He did a good job of making the first guy miss on a number of his runs and pass catches.  The outside zone runs may have been runs that Bradley cut back and took outside on his own, but yes they were nice plays and gives the run game another dimension.

Lee has definitely been a bright spot the last four games.  And...while he didn't particularly play well the first four, some of the bad stats were not necessarily his fault.  As mentioned, bad play calling, dropped passes, passes bouncing in the air off player's hands on the 10 yard line only to have the defender be there to grab it and run 90 yards for a pick six....etc.

Hopefully, the rest of the team can raise their level of play too.

8 minutes ago, knapplc said:

A guy on Reddit put this together, and I have not fact-checked him, but it would appear as though the claim that Lee is getting better is borne out by stats. 

FMcloT0.png

Here's the thread this came from

I'm glad Lee has been playing better.  Credit to him for rebounding after a rough start.

But those improved numbers have generated a TOTAL of 5 offensive TDs in the last three games.

So we've "improved" to a bend-em but don't break-em offense.

• Plus1 1

One thing that I saw against Purdue is that NU has Lee throwing many of the same deep patterns to the sideline that Armstrong threw.  These passes were thrown against 1-on-1 coverage, and many fans criticized Armstrong for throwing "YOLO bombs".  It's more of a fact that those passes seem to be the staple of Langsdorf's offense.

I will say that Lee is able to make a number of throws that Armstrong wasn't able to, and that's where he is able to to make some difference in the passing offense.  However, he is also a statue, and isn't able to make any plays running the ball, so there is the trade-off.