Offensive line assignments

rolldog

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Who else plays Center - Raridon, Brokop? I liked Conrad last year, but the difference between the line with Decker vs Conrad at Center is huge. Not that it's a great line with Decker, but it's better. I think Conrad has a place on the line, but not making calls when that's something he's never done before.

Conrad is the voice, leader in the locker room.  The problem is that he is DII talent.  I see Cavanaugh players favorites.

Any word on how Raridon is doing? Doesn't sound like Conrad is a long term option at center based on what people are saying. Also, I realize the O-line is hot garbage, but Lee could help himself out some if he'd step up into the pocket rather than running towards the perimeter of the pocket where the pressure is coming from. I noticed one play where he ran to the perimeter of the pocket where the pressure was an ran right into a sack. Had he stepped up that pressure would've ended up behind him and he could've went to his check down. 

4 hours ago, Mavric said:

It's a flawed theory because it's an extreme over-simplification.  

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean you have guys who successfully run-block.

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean that you have an effective running scheme in place.

Just because you're a good passing team doesn't mean that you spend time practicing to become good at running the ball.

And on and on and on.

Your first sentence would be on point if I would have said this is the only thing that is needed to open up our running game.

I'm not sure what in the rest of your post contradicts what I have posted.

I think my post points out that along with a good passing game, you still need a good O line and good running scheme to make it work.....we don't have that.

But...when you have a good O line AND a good running scheme....AND an effective passing attack........you have success.

The run blocking is not good that is not up for debate, but it is not just because the line sucks.  

Re watch the Purdue game, Ozigbo does a lot of dancing in the whole a lot of the time for 0-1 yard gains.  Sometimes you just have to take what you can get.  Some of those 0 gains would have been 2-3 yard gains if he just sticks his nose into the pile and takes what he can get.  

Scheme is not conducive to running the ball considering very well all the time.  DL loves to run lots of bunch formations this leads to lost of 8-9 man boxes.  Tough to run against that. 

Not impossible, but you have to have a real commitment to doing it and DL and MR don't want to commit to it like a Wisconsin or Iowa does.  You have to practice it.  I bet no more than probably 30-35% of offensive practice time is committed to the run game.  Run game requires team practice to be at a high level.  That is where you develop the synchronized blocking needed for run blocking.  You have to do a lot of it live .  It can't be just station work all the time.  Pass blocking in a lot of cases is a individual type thing and is a 1 on 1 thing.  Run blocking is much more of a group thing.   Teams get better at passing with 7 on 7.  

Spreading out the opponent and running against 5 or even 6 in the box would produce better results.  Benning and Sharp were talking about this very thing this morning.  

Was watching a the Detroit/Pittsburgh game last night.  was amazed at how many of the formations they were both running out of were just like what Nebraska runs.  Nebraska is running a pro style offense.  Like any pro style offense they are heavily dependent on good QB play.  All pro teams want to run the ball well.  MR and DL want to run the ball well, but they want to move the ball in a game just like a pro team, and if they can't run the ball they will throw the ball.   

5 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I haven't seen many successful offenses that "use the pass to set up the run", can you point some out for me?

New England Patriots do it . So did the 80's and 90's 49ers. If you watch film Purdue loaded the box to stop the run on 1st down that's why play action killed them in 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Otterpop said:

New England Patriots do it . So did the 80's and 90's 49ers. If you watch film Purdue loaded the box to stop the run on 1st down that's why play action killed them in 2nd half.

I doubt they "loaded up the box to stop the run".  What actually happened is they were properly aligning to us having 9 or 10 guys in tight formation - so they brought their defense in tight and walked safeties down into the box because they (appropriately) anticipated a run out of those formations.

40 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That’s using be run game to set up the pass. Not the other way around. 

No I was talking about using the pass to set up the run . I wasn't talking about Saturday. In Saturday game Purdue was over committing on 1st down to stop the run that it set up for play action in 2nd half that killed them watch the game film it will show you.

31 minutes ago, Otterpop said:

No I was talking about using the pass to set up the run . I wasn't talking about Saturday. In Saturday game Purdue was over committing on 1st down to stop the run that it set up for play action in 2nd half that killed them watch the game film it will show you.

Purdue loading up the box to stop the run and being burned by play action passes isn’t having the pass game set up the run game.  It’s having the run game set up the pass game. 

What New England (and other spread teams) does is spread out the defense and  creates space for their running backs. Now, yes their effective pass game does force defenses to choose to “play the pass” or “play the run”, but their offensive line still has to do well blocking the defense to allow the running backs to get yardage.

10 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

My initial read on the play is that the guard should stay home, then double team?  Not sure I will have to look at it again.  I will tell you this, our guys better start picking up our QB after they get him killed instead of standing there looking stupid.  It shows how many problems that group has to over come.  I thought it was interesting after the game watching our OL coach being the first one out of the locker room and sprinting to the bus.  He was the first one on the bus by at least 15 minutes.  That is when we left.  It looked weird.  

Sounds like a little boy pulling the covers up and pretending to be asleep when Dad comes home. He gone.

12 hours ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

my question is how much is it bad coaching vs bad players because its clearly both.

Bad Players.......I don't believe this is the case.  How is it possible that in the last 3 years we don't have one good O lineman?

It's the same with the D Line.  There are powerful athlete that look like tackling dummies out there.

This program (coaching, scheme, conditioning, leadership) is why these kids are struggling.  They can't coach anyone up and I believe several are worse off with this staff.