Star Wars: Episode VIII ***Speculation & Spoilers***

On 3/21/2018 at 11:09 PM, Mavric said:

Eh, that could have softened the blow.

But I wasn't necessarily looking for more of the same characters.  And I said I was even willing to give TFA a bit of leeway because it's always tough to do a transition - nodding to the past while trying to blaze a new trail.

But then the lack of continuity that plagued TFA was repeated in TLJ.  They were entertaining.  Just not good, coherant stories.

Having different directors/visions is always going to hurt a trilogy, it just will.  As stand alone movies though, they aren't looked at fairly in my opinion.  Many disagree with that, and I'm not going to try to change anyones mind, just my observation.  Judging a SciFi flick and judging a Star Wars movie are two DRASTICALLY different things.

Edited by Redux
  • Plus1 1

16 hours ago, Landlord said:

You can find curiosity questions like this for any movie, good or bad, if you want to. That doesn't speak at all towards the quality of a movie.

1. Where does Anakin and Padme and their forbidden love go from the end of AotC?

2. How does the Senate fall apart and pave the way for the Empire?

3. From what seems like a huge victory, how does the Republic fall?

4. How will Count Dooku play into the growing political unrest? What's his backstory?

5. How will Obi Wan and Anakin's relationship be effected by such a brutal defeat?

6. Will adolescent Boba Fett play an important role after watching his father get killed by the Jedi?

7. How will the Jedi Order react to losing dozens and dozens of warriors?

Attack of the Clones is not just the worst Star Wars movie, but an awful movie in general. You can still generate plenty of "ooh this is a curious thought" questions from watching it.

RedDenver asked, what's there to be curious about?  I didn't realize I had to come up with specific things that excusively apply to Star Wars and nothing else.  

2 hours ago, Making Chimichangas said:

RedDenver asked, what's there to be curious about?  I didn't realize I had to come up with specific things that excusively apply to Star Wars and nothing else.  

You don't. I'm just saying that what's there to be curious about (I guess this goes for @RedDenver as well) is determined by how interested you are in the movie vs how good the movie is. It can be a terrible, awful movie that you're still very interested in and still have plenty to be curious about for you.

I know I should probably move on, but I read another thing that hit me about why, while this is a well made movie, makes it suck as an episodic film in Star Wars.  Take what Johnson was doing with themes and graft them onto original characters away from the main saga, and I don't think you would have nearly as much an internet backlash (though I do feel there are some misogynist and racial issues with the movie).

Bringing up Luke again, but during a behind the scenes documentary or something, they discussed some issues they were having with Hamill (Diva like actions while filming).  Like the fact that they mentioned the Luke wasn't the hero in this movie, he's Obi-Wan.  But Luke really isn't Obi-Wan in TLJ because Obi-Wan never gave up and decided to close himself off to the world so that he could die alone.  Obi-Wan hid himself away so that he could train The New Hope when he (Luke) came of age after experiencing something just as bad if not worse than Luke did with Kylo.  I have no problem believing that Hamill would have been 100% behind the direction of Luke and would have been easier to work with if he was exactly like Obi-Wan in ANH.  Hamill acted the f*** out of what he was given, but I would have loved to see a more Yoda take on Old Luke.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

I just watched the Last Jedi

I liked it.  I have NO idea what is going on and I have no clue who anyone is or who is related to who(m) but it was a fun movie.

Well you're clearly viewing it wrong.  The only way to watch the movie is with 30 years of fan boy day dreams and 10 ideas of how YOU would have written the movie.

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, Redux said:

Well you're clearly viewing it wrong.  The only way to watch the movie is with 30 years of fan boy day dreams and 10 ideas of how YOU would have written the movie.

Redux you boiled it down to why people don't like this movie in one sentence that is a good trick.  

I want it to be new and something I haven't seen before, but I want it to be exactly like the original 3 and be exactly like I have been envisioning in my mind since RoTJ came out.  It didn't meet that criteria and that is why it sucks. :D  

On 1/13/2018 at 10:45 AM, Making Chimichangas said:

And, I found this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1M95njhovw

It's a terrific video that discusses the science and physics behind what the video calls, "The coolest scene" in The Last Jedi.

Disclaimer: I know that actual science and physics get tossed aside in making Star Wars films, I thought the video was great nonetheless.

Also, how do you embed YouTube videos, instead of just having the link?

That's a very interesting video!  It makes me think Light speed or warp speed might not be possible because hitting even a particle of space dust would cause an explosion large enough to destroy any local planets.

2 hours ago, Redux said:

Yeah, why would the ninth movie in a series have any continuity to the ones that have come before.  That's just people trying to find something not to like.

• Plus1 2

Watched it again, really enjoyed the hell out of it.  Here are my issues with the film:

1- Hindsight, they should have had Leia either not survive the explosion on the ship or instead of Admiral Holdo staying behind to kamikaze the First Order Leia could have stayed behind and passed the torch to Holdo.  Granted this was before Carrie's passing so how could they have known.

2- Luke doesn't need to die.  It sucks that he did because we waited 30 years to see him light saber battle the hell out of some bad guys.  We kind of got that.  The scene against Kylo was really great, I love it.  But yeah, now we will never see a true Luke vs whoever battle.  I blame George Lucas for that though for not giving us episodes 7, 8 and 9 in the 90's.

3- The Leia space Mary Poppins was still cringe worthy.

4- Canto Byte (spelling?) was still a pointless side mission that wasted valuable time the Resistance didn't have.  BUT, this time I liked it a little more honestly.  Rose is still a little too much for my taste but not awful.  I still wish that instead of their whole vacation sequence Finn and Rose would have just infiltrated the First Order ship to begin with, would have made way more sense.

5- Phasma was pointless.....again.  No Knights of Ren......again.  Nuff said.

Really, that's about it.  It's far from a perfect entry to the series.  But damn is this movie compelling, honestly it just is.  And visually it was even more stunning the 2nd time around.  I don't care that Snoke died without any real backstory, why does he HAVE to be somebody we should worry a lot about.  Palpatine wasn't someone we cared about until years after ROTJ and books and comics and action figures made us care about him.  I am perfectly fine with Rey being nobody, most Jedi were before getting training.  Just because she doesn't belong to one of the famous bloodlines doesn't ruin anything for me what so ever.  I still LOVE the kamikaze scene, those nitpicking it are just the same who don't like it for prior reasons and want to further crap on the movie.  That scene was awesome in the theater.  And finally I am okay with the fact Luke isolated himself even though many hate it.  Obi Wan did it, Yoda did it, and finally Luke did it.  All failed at something big, all 3 hid themselves away.  Luke could have survived the force projection, but I digress.  The movie is really good and in 20 years will be remembered and revered much more fondly than most want to admit.

• Plus1 1