Keep Riley? ND kept Brian Kelly

tmfr15

This season is horrid and the Huskers seem destined for an 5-7 season. So fire the coach. There are certainly plenty of good reasons.

But maybe, we should think about this angle.

Brian Kelly took over for Charlie Weis in 2010 and recorded back-to-back 8-5 seasons before going on a somewhat magical ride to a 12-0 season. During that year, ND beat quite a few so-so teams just barely, but ended up in the title game, only to get run out of the building by Alabama. Kelly followed that with a 9-4 season and then went back to 8-5. He did get to 10 wins in 2015 but then went 4-8 last year.

Notre Dame chose to keep him and the Irish are in the midst of a one-loss season that could land them in the national title game.

We have a quarterback who seems to be getting better and better. We have a couple of quarterbacks that seem to be really good. Tristian seems to be more than good.

The 3-4 defense is struggling, but Coach Diaco and the squad have been working through growing pains. Maybe this unit could be pretty salty by next year.

I know I am probably crazy for saying this, and I have a hard time thinking that Riley will be there next year, but, what if we keep him and things work out?

Don't know myself. I am just throwing it out there.

• Plus1 7

7 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Brian Kelly took over for Charlie Weis in 2010 and recorded back-to-back 8-5 seasons before going on a somewhat magical ride to a 12-0 season. During that year, ND beat quite a few so-so teams just barely, but ended up in the title game, only to get run out of the building by Alabama. Kelly followed that with a 9-4 season and then went back to 8-5. He did get to 10 wins in 2015 but then went 4-8 last year.

Records hide the truth. The only season that compares to Riley was last year. Those 8 and 9 win years are pretty good 8 and 9 win years whereas Riley's 9 win year was basically the same as his 6 win year, when looking at things like per play differentials and scoring margins.  Kelly vs Pelini is a better comparison, but still well in favor of Kelly. His 2012 and 2015 seasons are better than Pelini's best..

Sometimes when things are bleak, it's hard to see any daylight. I am thinking that Notre Dame fans must have been pretty much on the fire Brian Kelly train as they skidded to a 4-8 record. That's just awful.

There is part of me that fears losing Riley because I fear losing Gebbia. As a true freshman QB, he just looked freaking amazing and I was thinking that he could be that difference making signal caller we have been looking for .... well, since Crouch left us.

1 minute ago, tmfr15 said:

Sometimes when things are bleak, it's hard to see any daylight. I am thinking that Notre Dame fans must have been pretty much on the fire Brian Kelly train as they skidded to a 4-8 record. That's just awful.

There is part of me that fears losing Riley because I fear losing Gebbia. As a true freshman QB, he just looked freaking amazing and I was thinking that he could be that difference making signal caller we have been looking for .... well, since Crouch left us.

You can't fear the overall, long-term success of the program based on the short-term fear of losing a few young players and recruits.  If the right hire is made at head coach, they will be able to replace those guys and make improvements in the current roster.

• Plus1 4

Just possibly some food for thought. I looked up Notre Dame's recruiting rankings from 2009-2013 according to 247sports:

-2009: 15
-2010: 15
-2011: 8
-2012: 17
-2013: 6

We're pretty much nowhere close to the average of those five classes. Pretty huge difference. Couple that with the fact that Brian Kelly's resume (which is maybe a bit subjective, but still) seemingly points to him being a bit better head coach and there's just a pretty obvious gap in the two situations.

But, I still think this was a good post to take stock of things, OP.

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

So, one player is going to make the team great? I would rather lose Gebbia and get some people in here that can actually coach.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

This season is horrid and the Huskers seem destined for an 5-7 season. So fire the coach. There are certainly plenty of good reasons.

Notre Dame chose to keep him and the Irish are in the midst of a one-loss season that could land them in the national title game.

We have a quarterback who seems to be getting better and better. We have a couple of quarterbacks that seem to be really good. Tristian seems to be more than good.

The 3-4 defense is struggling, but Coach Diaco and the squad have been working through growing pains. Maybe this unit could be pretty salty by next year.

I know I am probably crazy for saying this, and I have a hard time thinking that Riley will be there next year, but, what if we keep him and things work out?

Brian Kelly also fired his defensive coordinator and in year 1 that DC has turned them around.  Mike Riley has fired pretty much his entire defensive staff within 2 years of him becoming HC and they still stink.  If we keep him, he will be firing pretty much his entire offensive staff.  That will mean he has had to fire EVERYONE on his staff except Bray.  What does that say about the guy?  Maybe he should have went out and got better people from the get go.  He has used all his life lines, just like BK has now.  If they have another losing season he will be gone.

1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

Players always say they are leaving and then they meet the new coach and get excited again.  Happens with every school that fires a coach.

2 hours ago, tmfr15 said:

well throw it back

• Plus1 2

As a Husker fan who also follows ND, I can vouch for people saying there was a difference immediately with BK.  He kept VanGorder a year too long.  It should have been obvious that step needed to happen a year before it did.  I know I was surprised to see BVG still out there in 2016.  In short, let's not confuse the benefit of having a long-term coach with what's on the field.

On the Riley side of things, though, Kelly wasn't walking into the talent void Nebraska has (speaking relatively).  I know we're fond of talking about star rankings or whatever but we're not sending a lot of guys to the league.  I think it was Adam Carriker who was saying he had no doubt that Riley could be a 9-win coach here given enough time.  I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how much time that is...  I only understand that people would be willing to give it to a former Husker.

p.s. - Run the damn ball guy wasn't happy with BK calling plays either.  Having four senior starters on the OL is awfully nice, too.

Edited by beorach