2017-2018 Nebraska Basketball Preview (Off Tackle Empire)

https://www.offtackleempire.com/2017/10/25/16541210/2017-2018-nebraska-basketball-preview-tim-miles-fired-probably-maybe-i-dont-know-i-like-watson

The 2017-2018 Nebraska basketball journey seems to be following the same arc as it has since that fateful year in 2014 where Nebraska did - in fact - make the NCAA tournament. Despite being bounced by the Baylor Bears, things were looking up. Four years later, and we have as many questions as answers. Why did four players with eligibility transfer out? Why has Nebraska seemingly taken a step back in every aspect of the game? Why, despite mounting evidence that there is talent, is this team finishing at or near the bottom of the Big Ten each year? Why did Tim Miles get another year?

At the end of the 2016-2017 season, you could see it in the faces of the players. You know that they try and block out distractions, but losing is awful, and Nebraska was just not very good. With a somewhat rejuvenated core of players, can the Cornhuskers pull some voodoo magic out of the hat and finish in the top half? Maybe. Let’s look at the pieces that are coming back, the pieces that are new, and the pieces we don’t know much about yet.

Reasonably speaking, Nebraska needs to see progress. The Cornhuskers finished second to last in the Big Ten, barely beating out a historically bad Rutgers basketball team for not-last. Tim Miles has a new boss, Nebraskans are now waiting on their chance to celebrate a NCAA win - thanks to Northwestern leaving them at the party, and if we’re being super honest, it’s time to put up or show up.

I admit that I don’t know a lot about how this season will play out up and down the conference, but I do know Nebraska - picked 13th - is probably not a great pick for anything but awful. Still, it feels like this team has a chance. The transfers out seemed to have driven this group together, and goals can bring a team to greater heights. I’d say this is a lot like 2014, but I’m wondering if we’re not at the cusp of something better.

Of course, it’s like my story at the beginning. Sometimes the other teams are just better. The 2017-2018 season will be interesting to say the least. If I have to give a prediction, I’m saying 10th in the league with 7 conference wins. I’ll defer to the public to figure out how wrong I am.

can't wait to prove people wrong :snacks:

• Plus1 1