sho

Incident in Manhatten

sho    104

There are fatalities after a truck drove the wrong way down the West Side Highway bike path for several blocks Tuesday afternoon, striking several people, according to sources at the New York Police Department.

The driver exited the vehicle with what appeared to be a gun and was shot by police, the sources added. The individual is in police custody and is being taken to the hospital for treatment.
As many as six people are dead, according to two senior law enforcement sources on the scene, They added that it appears to be deliberate act.

Very sad, story just breaking, more details will come out I'm sure.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/31/us/new-york-shots-fired/index.html

Edited by sho

commando    1,626

at first glance this 1 does appear to be terrorism....but that remains to be confirmed.  at least they have the guy in custody.

sho    104

I was thinking it was very similar to the incidents in Spain, driving a truck through a pedestrian area.  My first thought was a terrorist incident.

sho    104
Multiple law enforcement sources say the New York incident is being investigated as terrorism. Separately, four law enforcement sources said witnesses reported the suspect was yelling Allahu Akbar.

One law enforcement source said the FBI's Joint Terrorism Task Force is taking over the lead of the investigation.

Update on the CNN link

knapplc    19,301

How does anyone think they bring glory to a loving god by murdering innocent people?

commando    1,626
9 minutes ago, knapplc said:

How does anyone think they bring glory to a loving god by murdering innocent people?

i think it's called brainwashing.   

BigRedBuster    8,066
13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It's one of the most important questions modern society and religion must face.

Enhance    3,498

A lot of schmucks can figure out how to build a bomb and wreak havoc. But, a lot more schmucks can drive a car and do this at any time. Crowded cities in particular are an important target as we've now see this happen in New York twice in the last year or so (though, I believe the other one was partially due to drug abuse).

ZRod    2,852

CNN reporting the attacker lived has an address in Tampa and originally came from Uzbekistan in 2010. Not a country on the banned list...

Edited by ZRod

commando    1,626
3 minutes ago, ZRod said:

CNN reporting the attacker lived in Tampa for and was originally came from Uzbekistan in 2010. Not a country on the banned list...

don't worry.....that list will grow

jsneb83    1,431
45 minutes ago, commando said:

Which ones have a Trump business located there? You can cross those off from ever appearing on a travel ban

TonyStalloni    607
2 hours ago, jsneb83 said:

Which ones have a Trump business located there? You can cross those off from ever appearing on a travel ban

A little early to start this s#!t isn't it?

TonyStalloni    607
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Hopefully they execute this person if they aren't already dead.

Last I heard he was alive.  There is no chance for the death penalty in New York.

teachercd    3,224
10 minutes ago, TonyStalloni said:

Last I heard he was alive.  There is no chance for the death penalty in New York.

That makes it even worse.  

RedDenver    1,799
11 hours ago, teachercd said:

That makes it even worse.  

I disagree. The religious nuts want to die, be remembered as a martyr, and go to whatever afterlife. Letting them live long enough to be forgotten is a much more fitting penalty.

teachercd    3,224
11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I disagree. The religious nuts want to die, be remembered as a martyr, and go to whatever afterlife. Letting them live long enough to be forgotten is a much more fitting penalty.

Yeah, you have a good point.

Perhaps the middle ground is an execution that no one knows about.  

Fru    868
53 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yeah, you have a good point.

Perhaps the middle ground is an execution that no one knows about.  

How about a lobotomy? Threat is neutralized and he is still alive. 

teachercd    3,224
17 minutes ago, Fru said:

How about a lobotomy? Threat is neutralized and he is still alive. 

I would be more than okay with that.

Fru    868
24 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would be more than okay with that.

Not to derail the thread, but I've had that discussion with friends before, mainly just as a devil's advocate, philosophical, bullsh!ttin around kind of conversation. It usually elicits some pretty interesting discourse. 

teachercd    3,224
4 minutes ago, Fru said:

Not to derail the thread, but I've had that discussion with friends before, mainly just as a devil's advocate, philosophical, bullsh!ttin around kind of conversation. It usually elicits some pretty interesting discourse. 

Shoot, Kennedy Sr had it done to his daughter!

Fru    868
1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Shoot, Kennedy Sr had it done to his daughter!

Lol I meant more as a solution to the death penalty debate. Rosemary's story is pretty devastating and to my knowledge wasn't done as a punishment, but was a fairly popular medical "procedure" at the time.  

Kiyoat Husker    1,508
17 hours ago, commando said:

I wonder how big that list can get?  Here's a list of the countries ISIS fighters are from (as of a year ago according to one academic study):

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/08/foreign-fighters-isis/493622/

1. Tunisia 6,000

2. Saudi Arabia 2,500

3. Russia 2,400

4. Turkey 2,100

5. Jordan 2,000

6. France 1,700

7. Morocco 1,200

8. Lebanon 900

9. Germany 760

10. UK 760

11. Indonesia 700

12. Egypt 600

13. Belgium 470

14. Tajikistan 386

15. Bosnia 330

and this is just the top-15.  There are many more, including most of Europe.

And here is a list of country-of-origin of Terrorists committing attacks in the US:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/trump-immigration-ban-terrorism/514361/

1. Saudi Arabia (2369 murders)

2. UAB (314 murders)

3. Egypt (162)

4. Lebanon (159)

5. Kuwait (6)

6. Cuba/Kyrgyzstan/Pakistan (3)

7. Palestine (2)

8. Armenia/Croatia/Taiwan/Trinidad (1)

9. 30+ other countries (0 murders)

obviously my point is that the travel ban is futile.  We would have to ban half of the earth.

teachercd    3,224
1 minute ago, Fru said:

Lol I meant more as a solution to the death penalty debate. Rosemary's story is pretty devastating and to my knowledge wasn't done as a punishment, but was a fairly popular medical "procedure" at the time.  

Ha...Yeah I know what you meant and I would be fine with it.  I think if you hurt someone...you should be hurt.

And yeah, back then it was pretty normal and of course senior didn't want anything f'ing up the Kennedy name

dudeguyy    3,490
1 minute ago, Kiyoat Husker said:

I wonder how big that list can get?  Here's a list of the countries ISIS fighters are from (as of a year ago according to one academic study):

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2016/08/foreign-fighters-isis/493622/

1. Tunisia 6,000

2. Saudi Arabia 2,500

3. Russia 2,400

4. Turkey 2,100

5. Jordan 2,000

6. France 1,700

7. Morocco 1,200

8. Lebanon 900

9. Germany 760

10. UK 760

11. Indonesia 700

12. Egypt 600

13. Belgium 470

14. Tajikistan 386

15. Bosnia 330

and this is just the top-15.  There are many more, including most of Europe.

And here is a list of country-of-origin of Terrorists committing attacks in the US:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/01/trump-immigration-ban-terrorism/514361/

1. Saudi Arabia (2369 murders)

2. UAB (314 murders)

3. Egypt (162)

4. Lebanon (159)

5. Kuwait (6)

6. Cuba/Kyrgyzstan/Pakistan (3)

7. Palestine (2)

8. Armenia/Croatia/Taiwan/Trinidad (1)

9. 30+ other countries (0 murders)

obviously my point is that the travel ban is futile.  We would have to ban half of the earth.

Regardless, isn't further restricting immigration just going to make the rest of the world dislike us even more?

Practically, building a bubble around the people that are already here isn't going to protect us. It's going to inflame and embolden the people who wish to do us harm. But I guess it will also make some people feel better, until it doesn't...

And since we're apparently governing on the basis of "feels over reals" now... 

Kiyoat Husker    1,508
10 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

Regardless, isn't further restricting immigration just going to make the rest of the world dislike us even more?

Practically, building a bubble around the people that are already here isn't going to protect us. It's going to inflame and embolden the people who wish to do us harm....

Definitely.  In fact, the article I linked identified a "failure of muslim immigrants to integrate in society" as the major factor influencing the high rates of enlistment into ISIS for European countries.

Nordic countries rated high in "percent of muslim population enlisting".  Nordic countries are also highly culturally homogenous, and difficult to integrate into for dark-skinned muslims.

The harder we push the needy (i.e. refugees) of the world away, the worse our problem becomes.

Edited by Kiyoat Husker

Kiyoat Husker    1,508

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-new-york-shooting-uzbekistan/new-york-attack-suspect-an-uzbek-immigrant-turned-to-religion-in-u-s-associate-idUSKBN1D13U0

“He became religious on the spur of the moment,” Mirrakhmat Muminov, a truck driver and Uzbek community activist who lives in Stow, Ohio, told Reuters by phone.

[...]

“He started studying religion in the United States,” said Muminov, adding that Saipov “couldn’t get enough” of the religious freedoms enjoyed in the United States after living in the strict confines of Uzbekistan.

[...]

Muminov [...] painted a picture of a man who was struggling to make it in the United States, had few friends and poor communication and English language skills.

”He was withdrawn, nervous, sometimes aggressive. Because of that he was lonely, he lived in his own world. He was not very popular,” said Muminov. He said Saipov’s English was poor and he did not speak Russian very well. [...]

I know we don't have all the details yet, but it sounds to me like the major problem with this guy was integration into society, like many that ISIS brainwashes with online propaganda.  Not a problem that immigration restrictions will solve IMHO.

BigRedBuster    8,066
42 minutes ago, dudeguyy said:

Pretty sure this is the type of crap that got us the PATRIOT Act.

I saw this and I'm really really confused.  How is the "justice system" so much of a joke that they allowed something like this to happen?  

It's typical of him to pull this out of his ass.

Kiyoat Husker    1,508

I'm guessing that this is coming from frustration over challenges to his travel ban?   Cause.... I'm sure that would have made all the difference in this incident....

teachercd    3,224
3 hours ago, TonyStalloni said:

Find him a tough prison and "cast him down with the sodomites".

I would be fine with that too.

commando    1,626

they should lock him up in a room with a tv that shows only fox news.   24 hours a day.    no off button or mute.   

RedDenver    1,799
15 hours ago, commando said:

they should lock him up in a room with a tv that shows only fox news.   24 hours a day.    no off button or mute.   

Come on now. That's cruel and unusual - we still shouldn't torture people.