RUMOR: Decision on Mike Riley Already Made, Will Be Let Go

16 hours ago, lo country said:

Maybe Riley stays on in some capacity at NU, just not coaching.  Maybe he is selling the University and what it has to offer, but not him as a coach?

Could be a Mack Brown kind of deal. Out of respect for the guy they didn't want to just can him so they got him to step-down with his golden-parachute intact and he kept some affiliation with the school. 

7 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Could be a Mack Brown kind of deal. Out of respect for the guy they didn't want to just can him so they got him to step-down with his golden-parachute intact and he kept some affiliation with the school. 

Mack Brown won a NC there.  Plus, he probably didn't still own his home in North Carolina.  When Riley's time is up, he's headed back to Oregon. 

8 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Except Mack won a National Championship at Texas.... Riley can't even win a rivalry game.

2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Except Mack won a National Championship at Texas.... Riley can't even win a rivalry game.

I agree. Why keep him at UNL? I think it would be a distraction as some players will be upset he’s no longer coach, so why let him hang around. I feel like that would prevent buy in to the new staff

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not remotely comparing Riley to Brown as a coach, just saying since they like Riley personally and he's good with recruits maybe they try to ease the transition rather than just telling him to hit the bricks. 

5 minutes ago, JimmyBuckets said:

I agree. Why keep him at UNL? I think it would be a distraction as some players will be upset he’s no longer coach, so why let him hang around. I feel like that would prevent buy in to the new staff

I'd keep him on as the game/time management coordinator.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I'm not remotely comparing Riley to Brown as a coach, just saying since they like Riley personally and he's good with recruits maybe they try to ease the transition rather than just telling him to hit the bricks. 

Mack earned respect with his 77% winning percentage, 16 years of coaching and a national title. How has Riley earned close to that level of respect? 

And he's good with recruits, how so? 

Edited by Warrior10
54 minutes ago, Warrior10 said:

Mack earned respect with his 77% winning percentage, 16 years of coaching and a national title. How has Riley earned close to that level of respect? 

And he's good with recruits, how so? 

Bro he is not comparing the two he's just saying so it doesn't look like we just s#!tted on Riley after only three years that's all he's saying and you are literally taking offense to this

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, JimmyBuckets said:

I agree 100% with this thought.  Why do people think it's a good idea to keep Riley around?

Edited by ColoradoHusk
10 minutes ago, Frost4NU2018 said:

Bro he is not comparing the two he's just saying so it doesn't look like we just s#!tted on Riley after only three years that's all he's saying and you are literally taking offense to this

It's him getting "s#!tted" on. It's him being hired to do a job and him not doing it at the level required, therefore being fired. That's how the real world works. After the contract is satisfied we don't owe him a thing, he doesn't owe us a thing. No reason to keep him around.