RUMOR: Decision on Mike Riley Already Made, Will Be Let Go

lets just put this out there now- nobody 100% knows anything. "my buddy said" "I have a friend who is close to" etc is ridiculous. The information I got that led me to posting this rumor thread is 3 people removed from the original source. How many possible things could be changed/altered in the story by the time it gets to me? This is why I said "rumor" and didn't go on twitter with 8 followers and look like a jackass. 

I've heard more stuff from the same lineage but that doesn't mean I'm living and dying by it or posting every tidbit I get from it. Only reason I posted the original piece was to see how accurate this may or may not be. Not really looking for "credibility" or to break news. Just wanted to verify whether this avenue of information was worth putting a marginal amount of stock into or not. 

FWIW I heard this evening something similar to what PowerT posted a bit back. But UF worries me still. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Some of the local guys are very, very well-connected, but even their sources can have the wrong information.

There are a few local guys I trust more than others and, so far, they've publicly been mum because they don't get into the rumor game much.

Gary Sharp is one of the guys I hold in really regard. Not saying he's right about Frost to UF, but him hinting at the possibility and saying Moos might have someone in mind we haven't discussed - I'll take that over 2nd hand internet rumors any day. 

What Bill Moos has said

About Riley’s future: "I didn’t come here to go 6 and 6." Reading between the lines - Riley is done

On hearing what the fans are saying: "You have to listen to the fans, and especially these fans, they are very passionate and some are very knowledgeable, especially former players and those who have been involved in the program,"

Reading between the lines - Fans want Frost

On Scott Frost:"He’s got the full package, but the only thing he was missing back then, in my opinion, was actually being a head college coach and all the other responsibilities and obligations that come with that. He has handled that superbly from afar as I look at it."Of course he does have the roots here, raised in the state of Nebraska and playing for the icon that Tom Osborne is. A lot of things very positive. Scott is going to coach in a Power Five (conference) and probably sooner than later. He’s paid his dues and I’ve been quite impressed with that having never met him but just watching his work from afar."

Reading between the lines - Frost is qualified

On the timing of finding a new coach: "Certainly if there is going to be a coaching change, you had better have things lined up," Moos said. "These days of a 45-day search and 22-person search committees, you’re going to be left in the dust. All the good ones are going to be gone."

Reading between the lines - Deal is done!

Rumor (Not from me) 5 years 24 million accepted

• Plus1 1

Not sure if this is really the thread for this but I couldn't find a better place.

Someone asked Sean Callahan if he thought the Williams would stick around under a new head coach.  He said he thought they would be open to it as they are currently the highest-paid position coaches at their respective positions in the country.

I didn't realize that but I wouldn't mind if they stuck around.  They are also not as closely tied to Riley as some of the other assistants - especially Donte.

14 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not sure if this is really the thread for this but I couldn't find a better place.

Someone asked Sean Callahan if he thought the Williams would stick around under a new head coach.  He said he thought they would be open to it as they are currently the highest-paid position coaches at their respective positions in the country.

I didn't realize that but I wouldn't mind if they stuck around.  They are also not as closely tied to Riley as some of the other assistants - especially Donte.

Drops aside, I think KW is a very good WR coach and a very good recruiter

I'm not sure about DW yet.  As bad as this defense has been, I'm not sure if it's his coaching or if it's he is teaching the players the way Diaco wants them taught.  He seems to be an adequate recruiter.

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not sure about DW yet.  As bad as this defense has been, I'm not sure if it's his coaching or if it's he is teaching the players the way Diaco wants them taught.  He seems to be an adequate recruiter.

Word is that DW is the coach that was referred to  (on Sharpe & Benning or somewhere?) as the coach who wouldn't get within 40 yards of Diaco in practice.  Story seems to be that Williams doesn't like how soft Diaco is having our corners play.  That wouldn't be surprising to me and I wouldn't put much blame on any of the position coaches in any case.  They can only do so much within the framework of what the coordinator is wanting to do.  And I think we have below-average coordinators right now (and have since Riley got here).

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is that DW is the coach that was referred to  (on Sharpe & Benning or somewhere?) as the coach who wouldn't get within 40 yards of Diaco in practice.  Story seems to be that Williams doesn't like how soft Diaco is having our corners play.  That wouldn't be surprising to me and I wouldn't put much blame on any of the position coaches in any case.  They can only do so much within the framework of what the coordinator is wanting to do.  And I think we have below-average coordinators right now (and have since Riley got here).

I would agree.  I do think Cavanaugh and Davis are not good position coaches for B1G.  And I'm not 100% sold on Bray either.

20 hours ago, brophog said:

I remember when the Pelini decision was going around how everyone had a source. I got so tired of it I started rumors about sandwiches, and then that spread. 

We could start rumors about cheese fries, but we'd probably all get warnings. 

11 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I would agree.  I do think Cavanaugh and Davis are not good position coaches for B1G.  And I'm not 100% sold on Bray either.

Yeah, Cavanaugh would be the one exception to my above statement.  Although I don't think our scheme is doing the line any favors.

Davis is basically a non-factor in anything as far as I can tell.

I'd like to like Bray more but I really can't find anything to justify that.  Not that he's bad, I just don't have anything to really point to as really good.