Crazy Stuff Trump Supporters Say

This is likely an elaborate troll. He's creating an unhinged caricature of the far left to make some pseudo-Socratic method point about how much the left hates the white man. The above post slips a little too far out of character and into parody. And while he usually hits a number of the right notes, so that you'd almost believe he was actually just a virulently anti-imperialist, anti-war guy who actually considers the US a brutal fascist enterprise, the Marx-Lenin-Maoism stuff is laying it on a bit thick. Then again, who knows. 

• Plus1 3
10 minutes ago, zoogs said:

This is likely an elaborate troll. He's creating an unhinged caricature of the far left to make some pseudo-Socratic method point about how much the left hates the white man. The above post slips a little too far out of character and into parody. And while he usually hits a number of the right notes, so that you'd almost believe he was actually just a virulently anti-imperialist, anti-war guy who actually considers the US a brutal fascist enterprise, the Marx-Lenin-Maoism stuff is laying it on a bit thick. Then again, who knows. 

Definitely a parody account

16 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I thought "Big Red Commie" was just having a bit of irreverent fun with their screen name and avatar, but he or she really talks the talk!

That might be the first Eugene Debs reference I've seen on Huskerboard. 

Large sections of the American population have at least read Zinn`s(RIP)"Peoples History of the Unites States", even many non-Southern high schoolers.

Mao is my biggest hero, though. Guevara a close 2nd.

Maybe "too groovy" for HB, I presume.

Edited by Big Red Commie
1 hour ago, Big Red Commie said:

Large sections of the American population have at least read Zinn`s(RIP)"Peoples History of the Unites States", even many non-Southern high schoolers.

Mao killed more of his own people than any other dictator.  no one else came even close.   stalin is number 2 on the list.  hitler comes in at 3rd.

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Big Red Commie said:

Yeah, It' s really groovy to idolize dictators who torture and murder their own people.

This seems like the thread for this, but it's absolutely serious. Read this: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

All this, perhaps, is not so surprising, considering polling continues to show that—in spite of unprecedented unpopularity—nearly all people who voted for Trump would do it again. [...] Johnstown voters do not intend to hold the president accountable for the nonnegotiable pledges he made to them. It’s not that the people who made Trump president have generously moved the goalposts for him. It’s that they have eliminated the goalposts altogether.

This reality ought to get the attention of anyone who thinks they will win in 2018 or 2020 by running against Trump’s record. His supporters here, it turns out, are energized by his bombast and his animus more than any actual accomplishments. For them, it’s evidently not what he’s doing so much as it is the people he’s fighting. Trump is simply and unceasingly angry on their behalf, battling the people who vex them the worst [...] And they love him for this.

Also, it underscores a larger point: yes, sure, Trump is a loon and so are many of his supporters. There's precious little that is zany or slapstick about this. And there is no sane, good way forward that is built around accommodating, encouraging, or catering to these people. Also, this point was emphasized twice here:

More than anything, what seemed to upset the people I spoke with was the National Football League players who have knelt during the national anthem to protest police brutality and racial inequality.

These are not isolated issues. If nothing else, scroll down and read the last few paragraphs.