Crazy Stuff Trump Supporters Say

10 hours ago, zoogs said:

This seems like the thread for this, but it's absolutely serious. Read this: https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/11/08/donald-trump-johnstown-pennsylvania-supporters-215800

Also, it underscores a larger point: yes, sure, Trump is a loon and so are many of his supporters. There's precious little that is zany or slapstick about this. And there is no sane, good way forward that is built around accommodating, encouraging, or catering to these people. Also, this point was emphasized twice here:

These are not isolated issues. If nothing else, scroll down and read the last few paragraphs. 

Man. That racist digression at the end... just WOW.

The thing that is striking to me is that I didn't understand how powerful the pull of white identity politics is for some of these people. It's clear a lot of these folks are becoming bolder about being explicitly proud of their race and the cultural identity that goes along with it... Trump became an answer to their prayers. When we talk abut the people who are "left behind," it's usually in terms of economic situation, rarely culturally. But these folks are left WAY behind, and it seems it's mostly a cultural issue rather than an economic one.

The key takeaway for me: The folks in this story (and likely lots and lots of other Trump voters nationwide) are more concerned with him getting revenge on their part than anything. His policies and his conduct in office become ancillary afterthoughts. They love Trump because he attacks liberals and anyone else they see as the boogeyman.

• Plus1 2