What did we learn?....Northwestern

6 hours ago, brophog said:

He makes one bad decision after another. Just because he can't recruit doesn't excuse his horrible decision making.

Please gives us examples of Fitz making "one bad decision after another".  I know his clock management was poor towards the end of the first half, but I disagree with him being a bad coach.  As others have said, he does more with less.

Edited by adc7236
16 minutes ago, adc7236 said:

Please gives us examples of Fitz making "one bad decision after another".  I know his clock management was poor towards the end of the first half, but I disagree with him being a bad coach.  As others have said, he does more with less.

I don’t know who’s decision it was for NW to try and have Thorson take over the game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That decision allowed NU to stay in the game and take the lead into the 4th. Both teams tried to give away the game yesterday, of course Riley is just better at finding a way to lose than Fitz. 

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I learned I officially don't care about Husker football right now................and that sucks! Usually after a loss I'm really pi$$ed! Not tonight I was just like "Meh, I knew we'd blow that." I hope like hell we get this next coaching hire correct. 

Hey—you do care, or you wouldn’t be posting on a message board about it, right? 

And I think we’ll do well with Moos in charge and make the right moves. The man is saying and doing all the right things...and that unfortunately includes keeping Riley through the end of the season, much to my dismay. 

26 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

Hey—you do care, or you wouldn’t be posting on a message board about it, right? 

And I think we’ll do well with Moos in charge and make the right moves. The man is saying and doing all the right things...and that unfortunately includes keeping Riley through the end of the season, much to my dismay. 

I think we all care otherwise we wouldn't be on this forum. After the NIU loss I knew we were in for a terrible season. The Northwestern game was very winnable , but this staff finds ways to lose that defies reasoning. I wasn't even very upset after the loss. It was something I expected to happen. Thats been the mindset lately for a lot of fans which is dangerous for this program's future. No doubt in my mind Riley is gone. It will be hard watching the Iowa game and getting beat up by my Iowa friends afterwards. 

Everything is on Moos now. His decisions will determine the long term fate of this football program. If he makes poor coaching choices like the last few AD's, then everything will unravel like our home sellout streak and passion for the program which will lead to apathy. Once apathy sets in it is hard to reverse. See Minnesota as an example when they were a dominant football program up to the 1950's. They have never recovered since. 

4 minutes ago, Norhusker said:

I think we all care otherwise we wouldn't be on this forum. After the NIU loss I knew we were in for a terrible season. The Northwestern game was very winnable , but this staff finds ways to lose that defies reasoning. I wasn't even very upset after the loss. It was something I expected to happen. Thats been the mindset lately for a lot of fans which is dangerous for this program's future. No doubt in my mind Riley is gone. It will be hard watching the Iowa game and getting beat up by my Iowa friends afterwards. 

Everything is on Moos now. His decisions will determine the long term fate of this football program. If he makes poor coaching choices like the last few AD's, then everything will unravel like our home sellout streak and passion for the program which will lead to apathy. Once apathy sets in it is hard to reverse. See Minnesota as an example when they were a dominant football program up to the 1950's. They have never recovered since. 

How did Iowa score 55 points on the team that beat us by about 100? Did everyone at Ohio State get injured?

10 hours ago, adc7236 said:

I think Langs lost the game at the end of the fourth qtr.  We are at mid field with a 1st down.....instead of playing to move the chains by getting a few yards on each down and going for a last second field goal, he wastes a down by going deep down the sidelines.  Now, perhaps that was Tanners decision and there were multiple reads, but I would still blame Langs for giving him that option.  Langs and Cav should have been gone when our not so "special" teams coordinator was let go.

The YOLO-bombs obviously weren't just an Armstrong issue, they are a Langs issue. He and Cav do need to go. Riley's eye for coaching talent needs a monocle, which is bad for any coach but especially a CEO-type.  Folks said he just didn't get what it takes to win at OSU but here SE gave him way more staffing money than he did Bo and we still ended-up with OSU's mediocrity. 

I learned these things...

Whoever is in charge of start times is an idiot.  Who came up with the bright idea of having Nebraska, ISU and Iowa all starting at 2:30?  On Saturday, I just want to watch football...not have to make decisions and stuff.  

West Virgina fans are the worst fans in the Big 12.  Laser pointers and morons with coonskin caps contradict the laws of nature.

If you stand too close to your Iowa State wind sock while having a cigarette on your porch when the wind is blowing, it will inevitably blow your way, become entangled with your head and go up in flames like a torch.

My dog likes beer

Other than that...nothing.

• Plus1 5

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t know who’s decision it was for NW to try and have Thorson take over the game in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. That decision allowed NU to stay in the game and take the lead into the 4th. Both teams tried to give away the game yesterday, of course Riley is just better at finding a way to lose than Fitz. 

He also broke the cardinal rule of overtime.....don't let a FG beat you. That 4th down decision in OT was not bold, it was incredibly stupid. 

32 minutes ago, brophog said:

He also broke the cardinal rule of overtime.....don't let a FG beat you. That 4th down decision in OT was not bold, it was incredibly stupid. 

I agreed 100% with going for the TD.  They were at the 1/2 yard line, you go for the TD.  If they go for a FG, it allows NU to tie it with just a FG.

EDIT:  If NU were in that situation, I would have applauded Riley for having the guts and confidence in his o-line to win the battle at the LOS.  A TD in that situation is a much better result than a FG.  The probability of getting the 1/2 yard and the ensuing probability of getting a win from the TD is the reason to go for it.  Too many coaches go for the "safe" result when the reward is worth going for the risk.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I agreed 100% with going for the TD.  They were at the 1/2 yard line, you go for the TD.  If they go for a FG, it allows NU to tie it with just a FG.

And if they don't get - like they hadn't 3 consecutive plays before that - it allows NU to win it with just a FG.

Just now, RedDenver said:

And if they don't get - like they hadn't 3 consecutive plays before that - it allows NU to win it with just a FG.

Understanding the current situation and knowing the rewards from the risk makes going for the TD the proper call.  It's a 1/2 yard run.  By succeeding in that 1/2 yard run, that forced NU to go 25 yards to tie it.  Achieving that 1/2 yard gave Northwestern the greatest opportunity to win the game right there.  The reward outweighs the risk.

• Plus1 2