Ranking the Riley Hire for a Blue Blood

On 11/4/2017 at 8:43 PM, Pedro Guerrero said:

Gary Gibbs won 65% of his games.  He shouldn’t be on this list.

Rich Rod was 15-22 at Michigan

Charlie Strong was 16-21 at Texas

John Blake was 12-22 at Oklahoma 

Those are all worse than Riley (not giving Riley a pass).  Hackett is on par with Riley though.

Correct - Gibbs was like Solich - both followed a legend.  Both could not fulfill the high expectations.

This all begs another question:

How long can NU be considered a Blue Blood? 

What entitles us to that ?  Being in top 5 all time in wins, 5 NCs all contribute but what have we done since 2001  to be described as a Blue Blood?  At one time Minny was a well thought of program wt NCs.  Do we consider them a blue blood? No not any more. 

So far everything I've heard from Moos, leads me to believe that they are aware of this potential precipitous fall from blue blood status and that they will take the steps needed to reinforce our status as a true college football blue blood.

5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Correct - Gibbs was like Solich - both followed a legend.  Both could not fulfill the high expectations.

What entitles us to that ?  Being in top 5 all time in wins, 5 NCs all contribute but what have we done since 2001  to be described as a Blue Blood?  At one time Minny was a well thought of program wt NCs.  Do we consider them a blue blood? No not any more. 

So far everything I've heard from Moos, leads me to believe that they are aware of this potential precipitous fall from blue blood status and that they will take the steps needed to reinforce our status as a true college football blue blood.

Please.

Michigan hasn't won a title since 1948.

Notre Dame hasn't won one since 1988.

We still draw big on TV,  The national media spent 3 days talking when we fired our AD for cripes sakes. 

We're fine. We just need a real coach and we're right back in the picture. 

56 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Please.

Michigan hasn't won a title since 1948.

Notre Dame hasn't won one since 1988.

We still draw big on TV,  The national media spent 3 days talking when we fired our AD for cripes sakes. 

We're fine. We just need a real coach and we're right back in the picture. 

Michigan is saying what about that 97 split title.  I say, shove it.

I understand your point. 

I don't think Minnesota was ever considered a blue blood, most of their championships were from the '30s and '40s, not the modern era. I think we're at the point where it's a toss up for the average fan whether we're still in that category, but the all time numbers are in our favor. Problem is, the current athletes have only been around about as long as our conference championship drought.

Robinson was all right the first time and did a good job for the Rams in the NFL to boot.  It was his second stint at U$C that you might fairly question.  O'Leary was probably a decent hire for ND at the time but for George's resume issue (such that we'll never know how that may have turned out anyway).

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:55 AM, TGHusker said:

Gibbs followed a legend that produced both NCAA sanctions and probation.  His situation was quite a bit different than Solich's.  This is why I also don't understand why coaches like Shula and DuBose would be on this list.  They were hired into a mess.  DuBose inherited a Bama program that was down 30 schollies because of the Stallings era sanctions and probation.  Franchione left Bama because more were on the way which is how they ended up with Shula. 

On 11/4/2017 at 7:16 PM, teachercd said:

Where does his hire rank as far as worst hires at a blue blood?

Is he worse that Shula at Bama?

Worse than DuBose at Bama?

Better than Gibbs and Blake at OU?

Worse than Robinson but better than Hackett at USC?

I mean...think how bad this really is, right?

How about worse than Schnellenberger at OU?  

And yes, I'm serious. Lots of parallels here, only Howard had the good sense to resign and step aside when he realized the toxic climate was more than he could handle. Howard wasn't a total loser at OU, but he lost to teams he should have beat (Okie Lite), and wasn't competitive with teams that were considered elite (e.g. Colorado, Nebraska). 

Edited by VectorVictor