moos has to be regretting the no mid season firing statement

9 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Riley is just there....the assistants call the plays.......it makes no difference which of the three is in charge. 

agree, i don't get how Riley is not involved with his players on the sideline during the game, he seems completely removed, i am sure this was his style at O, along with being a .500 coach.

during the Bama game last night you could see the kids being coached up all the time....none of this makes any sense. 

At this point, there is no reason to assume that the Moose is not a very professional, reasonable, intelligent and hard working AD who knows what he is doing and why.  Having outsiders on a chat board trying to tell him what to do is foolish at best and dangerous at worst.  Let the man do his job.   He has a hell of a lot of work to do and needs to remain focused squarely on turning the entire athletic department around as there are many within that organization who are no doubt on both sides of many issues as is typical within any functioning body.  

Riley is a very likeable and as far as I am aware well liked man.   Dumping him and as it always goes a bunch of underlings and assistants who have friends, family and so on in the middle of a season makes no sense, absent a major scandal of criminal or like proportion.   There is not one whisper of any such problems at NU.   Let's be careful, smart and prudent, etc.  Line up the ducks in a row and act judiciously.  There are no doubt internal things going on which need to be monitored and administered wisely.  

He has not been on the job long himself and you have to tread carefully and not throw the baby out with the bath water.  Always remember to 'first do no harm" when making major and sudden changes.   There are changes coming, in whatever form and manner, makes the most sense.   There are people being consulted, contacted, advised and considered.   You don't fire the most important employee in the entire State, frankly, without a plan.   We've seen how that works in the past haven't we?

We all want the best darn coach we can get - agreed?    The best coaches are still coaching and presumably will be until after the bowl games, unless we are going after one of those former coaches who are coming out of retirement as a talking head on BTN or some other God foresaken place.  The process is complex and tricky and needs to be done with the utmost care and discretion.   You don't negotiate a multimillion dollar, multi-year career altering job in the news media.        

• Plus1 2

Firing Riley now would get us nowhere.  No good coach is going to leave a team during the season anyway and Scott Frost who hopefully is/will be our leading candidate surely isn't going to do that to UCF.  Just let the season end. 

Riley will most likely be gone at season's end anyway.  Then we'll see if this Bill Moos guy can pull his weight or not.  Now is not the time.

Edited by suh_fan93
  • Plus1 2

These are the positives in firing Riley now to me:

1. Let's everyone know he won't be here next year and we are officially looking for a new coach

2. Doesn't let Florida steal Frost before we even get out the gate

3. Appeases many fans calling for his head

The negatives are:

1. Makes us look bad.  Riley isn't a good coach but he is respected and liked and it will look like we are kicking him when he is down

2. Team probably fully gives up and we go 4-8 for sure.  Look at Florida getting stomped by Mizzou - they didn't even try

3. One of the incompetent assistants Riley has gets named interim head coach

I'm not even going to talk about the money because in my opinion, people who think we will get out of paying Riley every dime his contract states are living in fantasyland. Bizness is bizness and Nebraska and Riley are big boys who signed binding contracts.  If I'm Riley I sure don't let you run me out of town and then let you off the hook of paying me. 

I'm ok either way and I don't think anyone will judge us TOO harshly for firing him now.  I only hope that keeping him doesn't prevent us from getting Frost.  If it does than that is completely unacceptable.  If there is even a 10% chance of that we need to fire Riley today.

• Plus1 2

Guys, you’re overlooking one big reason why Riley won’t be terminated early: as long as Riley is here, it provides a needed smokescreen to allow Moos to do his job unfettered. While we’re focused on Riley and his incompetence, Moos is able to meet multiple folks behind the scenes (e.g. agents, analysts) to get the job done. 

The media narrative is (still, technically) if Riley will be terminated, and there’s no needling Moos or sources about interviews, meeting agents, etc. That narrative changes immediately as soon as Riley is terminated—as soon as Riley is terminated, we’ll be tracking flights, interviewing cable installation techs, and bothering the hell out of both of the salt-water aquarium guys in the Lincoln metropolitan area. Moos knows this, and he’s willing to endure short-term angst for long-term gains.

In short, we have a permanent AD for the first time since $ Bill Byrne that can plan and make moves for the long term. As much as I want Riley gone, I’ll defer to Moos. 

• Plus1 5

20 minutes ago, neepster said:

These are the positives in firing Riley now to me:

1. Let's everyone know he won't be here next year and we are officially looking for a new coach

2. Doesn't let Florida steal Frost before we even get out the gate

3. Appeases many fans calling for his head

The negatives are:

1. Makes us look bad.  Riley isn't a good coach but he is respected and liked and it will look like we are kicking him when he is down

2. Team probably fully gives up and we go 4-8 for sure.  Look at Florida getting stomped by Mizzou - they didn't even try

3. One of the incompetent assistants Riley has gets named interim head coach

I'm not even going to talk about the money because in my opinion, people who think we will get out of paying Riley every dime his contract states are living in fantasyland. Bizness is bizness and Nebraska and Riley are big boys who signed binding contracts.  If I'm Riley I sure don't let you run me out of town and then let you off the hook of paying me. 

I'm ok either way and I don't think anyone will judge us TOO harshly for firing him now.  I only hope that keeping him doesn't prevent us from getting Frost.  If it does than that is completely unacceptable.  If there is even a 10% chance of that we need to fire Riley today.

1 and 2 can be accomplished without a mid-season firing. Literally the only thing a mid-season firing will accomplish is cater to the small group of fans out for blood and need for someone to be fired IMMEDIATELY to make up for the fact a couple husker losses ruined their fall. Florida didn't fire their coach to get a head start on the SF sweepstakes's,  they fired him with cause so they could get out of buying him out. To fans wanting him fired right now - wait like 3 weeks, this can be a win/win for all parties.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Saunders said:

A little part of me thinks (hopes) that there's an agreement in place, and Riley will "retire" after the Iowa game, and the two sides will settle. He doesn't want to be here, and we don't want him to stay. I would hope it's not about the money, and he can do the honorable thing.

Settle on what?   He has a guaranteed buy out on his contract.   After the beating he has taken from Husker Nation (much of it deserved) do you think he is going to settle for anything than a full buy out for his $2 + million a year?   Husker nation is going to get stuck with another big buy out plus paying a ton of money for a new coach.  Time to bite the bullet and move forward.   Only hope is Riley would get a job that allows us to mitigate our contract.  Nobody is going to hire a 65 year old guy has been on the downhill slide in two Power 5 programs.   We are stuck on the money hook.   Even Pelini still collects his paycheck and that was mitigated by the whopping $200,000 a year he makes at Youngstown State against his $2 million roughly he was paid at Nebraska.  So we still end up paying $1.8 million a year net.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, centrust said:

Settle on what?   He has a guaranteed buy out on his contract.   After the beating he has taken from Husker Nation (much of it deserved) do you think he is going to settle for anything than a full buy out for his $2 + million a year?   Husker nation is going to get stuck with another big buy out plus paying a ton of money for a new coach.  Time to bite the bullet and move forward.   Only hope is Riley would get a job that allows us to mitigate our contract.  Nobody is going to hire a 65 year old guy has been on the downhill slide in two Power 5 programs.   We are stuck on the money hook.   Even Pelini still collects his paycheck and that was mitigated by the whopping $200,000 a year he makes at Youngstown State against his $2 million roughly he was paid at Nebraska.  So we still end up paying $1.8 million a year net.

Peanuts. 

13 minutes ago, centrust said:

Only hope is Riley would get a job that allows us to mitigate our contract.  Nobody is going to hire a 65 year old guy has been on the downhill slide in two Power 5 programs.   We are stuck on the money hook.

I've pointed this out before but Eichorst doubly screwed us with an old incompetent coach. At least a younger incompetent coach could probably land at the Sun belt or FCS to help with our buyout.

• Plus1 1

There's ultimately zero advantage to getting rid of Riley now.  It won't give us a jump on any other school looking for a new coach, because nobody is going to get an interview with a coach who's currently employed elsewhere until the season is over.  Now, if Moos wants to have a chat with prospective replacements for Riley behind the scenes, there's nothing saying that can't happen, but if it does (and it likely already is), having Riley on the staff doesn't make any difference at all.  Why make the kids play for someone else, likely with zero head coaching experience (or in Diaco's case, with a terrible history as a head coach) for three weeks when it's either going to be no different or worse?  Plus, if Moos makes a decision now, that cheapens any possible statement he could make about this program from here on out, because he gave his word that he's not going to make a coaching change during the season.  I know the fans are angry, and it's clear at this point that Riley needs to go, but there's absolutely no upside to getting rid of him now.  There's already nothing to salvage from this season, so any drastic changes made at this point will hurt far more than they could possibly help.

Edited by Hammerhead