moos has to be regretting the no mid season firing statement

2 hours ago, Saunders said:

A little part of me thinks (hopes) that there's an agreement in place, and Riley will "retire" after the Iowa game, and the two sides will settle. He doesn't want to be here, and we don't want him to stay. I would hope it's not about the money, and he can do the honorable thing.

I hope that is how it goes down too but can we agree that there is nothing dishonorable at all on Riley’s part if he wants to be paid every dime of his contract? This situation is exactly why these coaches are employed on contract terms. And that is why a lot more care and due diligence should be taken before entering into such a contract. The money we end up on the hook for is Eichorst’s fault and that is the main reason he was let go. The money being paid to Pelini or Riley is not the coaches fault and it is not dishonorable for them to collect it.

• Plus1 2

51 minutes ago, El Diaco said:

I hope that is how it goes down too but can we agree that there is nothing dishonorable at all on Riley’s part if he wants to be paid every dime of his contract? This situation is exactly why these coaches are employed on contract terms. And that is why a lot more care and due diligence should be taken before entering into such a contract. The money we end up on the hook for is Eichorst’s fault and that is the main reason he was let go. The money being paid to Pelini or Riley is not the coaches fault and it is not dishonorable for them to collect it.

Exactly. For the love of Pete people he is entitled to his buyout money. It is not dishonoarable to accept the money you are owed. He is not taking us for anything, he was hired to do a job on contract and failed. There are terms in the contract to fulfill, it's business.

NONE of you would leave that money on the table, nor would I. Stop saying that.

Edited by runningblind
  • Plus1 6
4 hours ago, Hammerhead said:

There's ultimately zero advantage to getting rid of Riley now.  It won't give us a jump on any other school looking for a new coach, because nobody is going to get an interview with a coach who's currently employed elsewhere until the season is over.  Now, if Moos wants to have a chat with prospective replacements for Riley behind the scenes, there's nothing saying that can't happen, but if it does (and it likely already is), having Riley on the staff doesn't make any difference at all.  Why make the kids play for someone else, likely with zero head coaching experience (or in Diaco's case, with a terrible history as a head coach) for three weeks when it's either going to be no different or worse?  Plus, if Moos makes a decision now, that cheapens any possible statement he could make about this program from here on out, because he gave his word that he's not going to make a coaching change during the season.  I know the fans are angry, and it's clear at this point that Riley needs to go, but there's absolutely no upside to getting rid of him now.  There's already nothing to salvage from this season, so any drastic changes made at this point will hurt far more than they could possibly help.

You think Florida is going to wait for an official interview at this point?  I mean, hiring a football coach is not like hiring someone off the street.  You already have a fairly good idea how well the guy can coach and speak and such from the hundreds of hours of video of him and his teams. 

I would not put it past anyone to come to some unofficial deal well before the end of the season.  That may be against some NCAA rule or something but if not, I almost guarantee it occurs.  Waiting for 'official interviews' may be too late.

Just now, alwayshusking said:

Guys UF is going after Frost and so are we, right now.  You don't have to fire your coach publicly to conduct a search. 

Exactly! For all we know Moos and Riley have already had a talk behind closed doors in private. Moos and Riley could've already agreed that it's time to end his coaching tenure here and have chosen to not let the cat out of the bag until after the season is over in the best interest of both parties. This would allow Riley to finish the season with dignity and allow the University to begin looking for replacements behind the scene so they don't fall too far behind this search. What this does is cover up the tracks of the University by providing a little "window dressing" as someone mentioned in either this thread or another thread and makes perfect sense to me. Offenses do window dressing all of the time in football, why couldn't the University do that to cover up what they are really doing? 

22 minutes ago, neepster said:

You think Florida is going to wait for an official interview at this point?  I mean, hiring a football coach is not like hiring someone off the street.  You already have a fairly good idea how well the guy can coach and speak and such from the hundreds of hours of video of him and his teams. 

I would not put it past anyone to come to some unofficial deal well before the end of the season.  That may be against some NCAA rule or something but if not, I almost guarantee it occurs.  Waiting for 'official interviews' may be too late.

That's what I mean, though.  Anything going on behind the scenes can be done just as easily with the current coaching staff still intact.  

• Plus1 1
31 minutes ago, neepster said:

Florida's people, Tennessee's people, our people and probably 4 or 5 other university's "people" have already been in touch with Scott Frost's "people" no doubt.  Only he can sort out if he wants to stay at UCF or take a position somewhere else.  If Lincoln is a good fit for him and his family and he really wants this job then a few weeks is not going to make a difference.  He is pretty high on the "coaching candidate" totem pole so he is going to get paid where ever he goes.  It all depends on where he wants to be and all our angst, hand wringing and begging won't make a shred of difference.  Have patience.  High level coaching hires are like brain surgery.  You don't hire the cheapest, inexperienced surgeon nor the one who can do the 8 hour surgery in 2 hours.  We've been that route too many times now and look where it got us.

• Plus1 1