Thoughts and Prayers!!!

27 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I am so glad I am not a gun dork so that I don't have to sit here and start explaining how my rifle is going to stop the tanks that are coming to try and steal my rights away when the Government turns on us and takes away our freedom.  

i am a bit of a gun dork.   i have my trusty old shotgun that i like to hunt with and maybe shoot some sporting clays (very fun IMO).   but i think we have some very stupid gun laws that need to be looked at.    we won't be able to stop all the nutjobs so i think we have to try to limit the damage they can do.   bump stocks and large capacity magazines need to be banned or seriously controlled.  we can at least try to limit the high body counts the wackos so desperately crave.   

• Plus1 5
The school shooting near Houston on Friday bolstered a stunning statistic: More people have been killed at schools this year than have been killed while serving in the military.

Initial estimates put the number killed at Santa Fe High School at eight. We can compare that to figures for the military compiled from Defense Department news releases, including both combat and noncombat deaths. Even excluding non-students who died in school shootings (for example, teachers) the total still exceeds military casualties.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/05/18/2018-has-been-deadlier-for-schoolchildren-than-service-members/?utm_term=.a3eb049618fe

This article is just full of depressing statistics.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Let me poke the bear here ....

How many of you called your congresspeople today or have reached out to them in the last 3-4 months to ask what they're doing about gun violence?

What exactly are you getting at?  Why should we need to do this?  Is the gun violence problem not obvious enough for congress to realize they need to do something?  How many more dead school children is it going to take for something to happen?  I guess you're asking a fair question, but I seriously doubt my GOP congressman is going to stand up against the NRA.  Especially when our own governor wants the NRA to re-locate to Nebraska (are you freaking kidding me, Pete?).  I reached out to Deb Fischer expressing my frustration after Sandy Hook when she voted against some sort of reasonable gun control measure and all I got was some sort of BS generic "thanks for caring" reply.  Congress has failed miserably on gun control ever since they let the Crime Bill expire during the GW Bush era.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, commando said:

i am a bit of a gun dork.   i have my trusty old shotgun that i like to hunt with and maybe shoot some sporting clays (very fun IMO).   but i think we have some very stupid gun laws that need to be looked at.    we won't be able to stop all the nutjobs so i think we have to try to limit the damage they can do.   bump stocks and large capacity magazines need to be banned or seriously controlled.  we can at least try to limit the high body counts the wackos so desperately crave.   

I worked at Lincoln Trap and Skeet for one day!  

Don't want to make a new topic but the victim of the murder suicide in Nebraska yesterday was someone I knew. She's passed away since the article was written. 

http://kneb.com/regional-news/rural-lyons-woman-had-filed-for-protection-order/

According to a  story by Siouxland News,  Cameron had filed for a protection order against Bogseth in March of 2016 and again in December of 2017, just ahead of his expected release from Prison. Bogseth was released from prison on January 25, 2018 after serving time for domestic assault, violating the 2016 protection order, and DUI.

Siouxland News goes on to report that court records in Nebraska show at least two other women had received protection orders against him dating back to 2005.

Maybe we shouldn't be freeing these people. I mean, he had violated the protection order, then he's freed and allowed to go shoot her. What is the point of protection orders then?

3 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

What exactly are you getting at?  Why should we need to do this?  Is the gun violence problem not obvious enough for congress to realize they need to do something?  How many more dead school children is it going to take for something to happen?  I guess you're asking a fair question, but I seriously doubt my GOP congressman is going to stand up against the NRA.  Especially when our own governor wants the NRA to re-locate to Nebraska (are you freaking kidding me, Pete?).  I reached out to Deb Fischer expressing my frustration after Sandy Hook when she voted against some sort of reasonable gun control measure and all I got was some sort of BS generic "thanks for caring" reply.  Congress has failed miserably on gun control ever since they let the Crime Bill expire during the GW Bush era.

What I'm getting at is that it's easy to come to a chat room and complain about things, but all too often that's where it ends for folks.  It's the same thing as the GOP saying "thoughts and prayers".

I feel sorry for anyone living in a heavy GOP area where your vote doesn't count for as much.  I guess if I didn't think my representatives cared about my views I'd work pretty hard to get them out - or at least make their time miserable. (and I know that there in NE it's easier said than done).   Donate to their competition, canvas for the blue party or independents who whomever you support.  But your voice does make a difference - they do count calls, they do hesitate to come to or schedule town halls when they know there are angry voters in the audience, they do pay attention to marches in their areas etc.  Deb pretty much disappeared a couple times this year, I think during the health care vote (didn't change her vote but she hesitated a bit, and that's moving the needle).  If you can't move your reps you can impact other swing areas so that the bigger picture gets people in seats that can vote your views - www.swingleft.org does some great work and would make you feel like your efforts weren't wasted.

My money today went to Beto O'Rourke who is running against Cruz in TX.  I donate to Planned Parenthood for Iowa/Nebraska and support the ACLU annually.  I marched for science, womens' rights and for gun control.  I subscribe to WaPo and contribute to NPR/PBS.  I attend town halls in person or via FB.  If I don't do something I would go crazy right now.  I have 3 congressmen very well known for their liberal views and they all still heard from me today about the fact that their opinions aren't enough - they need to push their peers to do the right thing.

I agree with you that congress has failed.  We've got to get people there that can help.  I just want to challenge anyone here that has strong opinions on this issue to take a few minutes and let your local reps know about it.  If you don't who will?

(and welcome to P&R btw - nice to see a new face)

• Plus1 1

Still the best summary of the America's gun control debate (or lack thereof):

Ever since then, I watch each one of these tragedies as someone who supports moderate gun control efforts to at least stem the tide of dead children and have to just shrug. 

The problem is there is no amount of gun control that's acceptable to gun enthusiasts & gun rights folks, so what are the rest of us to do? The structure of the House ensures they have more representation that won't budge. :dunno

• Plus1 5
21 hours ago, Red Five said:

100% sure it has already happened.  I would guess theories are already floating around on r/the_donald

yep...lots of links turned up in a search.   here is the first link.    lots of comments from people who agree with him that its all a hoax with crisis actors.   go to it and see if you want to give him the clicks.

https://153news.net/watch_video.php?v=RXN3MUDWH799