Gary Sharp Says On Twitter Frost To UF Is "Close To A Done Deal"

5 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I keep coming back to this when I talk with my friends.  Why hire the student when you can hire the teacher?  You have to pursue Kelly if you're Moos.  Do I think Kelly is probably a little bit prickly?  Yup.  And if I had to cover him in the media that would suck.  But guess what?  I don't.  I don't watch press conferences or anything like that so I frankly don't care if the guy is a raging dic* to the media.  The media will turn on him regardless.  I totally get that Kelly doesn't want to recruit supposedly.  Guess what?  NO coach likes recruiting.  It's absolutely terrible.  Kelly has already lived in a fishbowl when he was the coach of the Eagles so nothing Nebraska can throw at him is going to shake him (I've changed my stance on this.  Philly sports fans are maniacs.)  Plus he's already spent time recruiting to Eugene, OR which is nearly as difficult to get to as Nebraska.  

This. I believe Moos was hired to hire Chip Kelly. Moos wants a proven commodity and no one available is more proven than Kelly

Just now, Pedro Guerrero said:

From what I’ve been told, he always had one on his arm.

I'm not saying you didn't hear this stuff but there have been articles written about Chip Kelly being so private that even his friends and family are sworn to secrecy.  His profiles even said he had never been married until his ex-wife had to prove it.

Mike Bellotti said he barely knew Chip.  People have said that he refuses to talk about family or anything personal.

This doesn't strike me like the type of guy that casually walks around with young women on his arm for everyone to see.

Here is a link to probably the most in depth view about him

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/footballs-most-intriguing-figure-chip-kelly-is-also-its-most-unknown/2015/07/24/e65e4b72-3086-11e5-8353-1215475949f4_story.html

• Plus1 2
38 minutes ago, fire mike said:

I emphatically agree 100%. Kids know who Chip Kelly is  

40 minutes ago, teachercd said:

For sure!

First off they would dominate the division next year.  Secondly, he doesn't like recruiting (I think that is overblown) but I also think he is about the point where he doesn't need to recruit like some brand new guy.  His name and offense is the recruiting.

I emphatically disagree.

I don't care who you are, you have to take recruiting serious and be committed to it.  Even Urban and Nick know how important it is and work hard at it.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I emphatically disagree.

I don't care who you are, you have to take recruiting serious and be committed to it.  Even Urban and Nick know how important it is and work hard at it.

I meant this.

Coach Nobody:  Hi, I am coach nobody and I would like to recruit you to Nobody U

Coach Kelly:  Hi, I am Chip Kelly, here is what my offense looks like

His name, his offense, it gets him in the door of every QB (non-statue) in America, every RB (non huge powerback) in America and every WR in America.  Doesn't mean he will close but the groundwork is done.  The hard part of recruiting, which is being a known quantity or coach...that is done for him.

• Plus1 2

Chip Kelly isn't getting an NFL job and he isn't getting an SEC job. The SEC passed some dumb rule recently that forces a school to get permission from the SEC office to hire a coach if they got in trouble with the NCAA. 

If UCLA opens then I can see him going there, but if that job doesn't open up, where is going to go? Stay in some crap job at ESPN or go out and make a good living competing in life? 

37 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'm not saying you didn't hear this stuff but there have been articles written about Chip Kelly being so private that even his friends and family are sworn to secrecy.

This doesn't strike me like the type of guy that casually walks around with young women on his arm for everyone to see.

I'll have to find out if there was some kind of secrecy swear.  <_<

I suppose Chip could come here and lets be honest that would be a HUGE hire for the program. I know folks are worried about him jumping ship, but what's to say he does? He failed in the NFL, I doubt he goes back there, if he wins here honestly there aren't a lot of "better" programs out there. Look at the revenue, facilities, support, etc. We have all of that in place just like any other program does. All we need is the right coach to bring us back and this program is as big as Ohio State, Notre Dame, Michigan, Texas, Alabama, etc. We're a Top 5 in history winning program. Saban failed in the NFL and never went back, I don't think it's hard to see that Chip may stay in college since he was successful before and can make just as much if not more money than in the NFL. 

Doesn't Chip Kelly's career path look similar to Nick Saban's?

Both had pretty good success in college.  Both tried the NFL and failed.  One went back to college at a program with more successful tradition than where he was before...... and is having great success....and hasn't jumped back to the NFL.

I would be fine hiring Kelly.

Edited by BigRedBuster
  • Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Doesn't Chip Kelly's career path look similar to Nick Saban's?

Both had pretty good success in college.  Both tried the NFL and failed.  One went back to college and had great success....and hasn't jumped back to the NFL.

I would be fine hiring Kelly.

Their paths look similar - their approaches do not. Especially in regards to recruiting rankings.

Saban:

Kelly:

Just now, Landlord said:

Their paths look similar - their approaches do not. Especially in regards to recruiting rankings.

Saban:

Kelly:

I think that top 15 classes at Oregon is pretty darn good.  I know there is the Nike money and the cool unis, but it's not around a huge amount of talent.

Saban is able to select players to come to Alabama.  He's not really "recruiting" at this point.

• Plus1 1