So let's say Riley stays ...

NM11046

8 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

I really don't think @LaunchCode and others are that far off in thinking Riley could do much better next year and going forward. I really really don't think Riley and staff are as bad as they are made out to be. That said, he's gone and we will have a new HC on the sidelines in 2018. Like Riley, don't like Riley it really doesn't matter. He hasn't had full support from the beginning and he hasn't done anything to improve his support, his on field results have done the opposite. It may not be fair but Riley is toast and if we get Frost in here he will be supported much more universally which I think will help.

Any other coach and it really becomes a case by case basis. I'm game to switch Riley for Frost or Campbell, but man I would rather not drop Riley to pick up another bad hire. Keep Riley>hire another bad coach.

Yep. For me, it's only Frost. There's a big difference between taking the opportunity to hire someone and vacating the position so that you can bring him in, and terminating the current era and surveying the field. If Riley can't turn it around on his own, there will /always/ be time to go the latter route, and it will only be an easier and more appealing situation for the next coach.

But there's a pretty strong argument for not missing on Frost if you can help it right now. I do hope they reach out, so that if Frost does choose another HC gig this offseason, it will have been because Frost declined Nebraska.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Exactly!  The fact that the first thing a lot of fans did was make up these "toxins" goes to show that they knew Riley was not the man for the job.

I believe there was a level of toxicity between Bo/program and the fans/Eichorst.  His post firing speech cemented that.

I believe the program became more toxic once Riley was hired because he didn't know how to handle it.

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I believe there was a level of toxicity between Bo/program and the fans/Eichorst.  His post firing speech cemented that.

I believe the program became more toxic once Riley was hired because he didn't know how to handle it.

Maybe but fans don't play in the games so that doesn't matter.

You have an interesting point, maybe in the end the toxin was actually Riley.  Because like you said he didn't know how to handle things.

Just now, teachercd said:

Maybe but fans don't play in the games so that doesn't matter.

You have an interesting point, maybe in the end the toxin was actually Riley.  Because like you said he didn't know how to handle things.

Fans play a part in there being a toxic environment.  They, me included, were tired of hitting the ceiling at 9-4.  We had grown weary of Bo's attitude and performance on the field in big games.

Riley was not a toxin.  He just didn't do what was needed to end it.  He should have cut bait on anyone that wasn't buying what he was selling.

• Plus1 1
Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Fans play a part in there being a toxic environment.  They, me included, were tired of hitting the ceiling at 9-4.  We had grown weary of Bo's attitude and performance on the field in big games.

Riley was not a toxin.  He just didn't do what was needed to end it.  He should have cut bait on anyone that wasn't buying what he was selling.

To me that is a toxin...Riley doing nothing is a toxin to me.

I also never cared about Bo's attitude.  Just like I never cared that Bob Deveney drank like a fish or that TO thinks booze is the devil.  

• Plus1 1