I expect us to go full "Nebraska" and screw this up.

Color me jaded...

Hate to say it, but I've seen nothing which makes me think we are going to right the ship.

the Moos hire has eery shade of the Riley hire, in that it was completely out of left field. For whatever reason, the leadership at our school continuously chooses to make head scratching hires at multiple levels. 

Instead of making moves to hire individuals that Conventional Wisdom says would have a good chance of succeeding, we make these oddball hires, and then the media machine that is the OWH, LJS, Et al. cranks up, and begins to construct a narrative to convince us all why Coach "X" or AD "Y" was a good hire despite many of us knowing in our gut that something smells. They use buzz words/phrases like "sneaky good hire", "under the radar", etc., etc

This is a pattern which repeats itself over, and over, and over. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know what to think about this whole coaching situation. I do know that in the absence of any verifiable detail, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, which makes me think that if Riley were going to fired, it would have happened already. I also don't believe that Eichorst was fired SOLELY because of Riley. Eichorst had many issues, Riley was just one of them, and the blowout loss was the  straw that broke the Camels back.

Whether you want Frost, Campbell, Patterson, Fuentes, whoever your dream candidate is. If Moos truly does intend to hire a new coach, and is playing a figurative Chess game right now, then he made a colossal stupid opening move by     Painting himself into a corner and saying no mid season coaching changes. IMO, he should have been decisive, fired Riley, and given his program the one month lead that Florida now has.

If I had to guess at this point, I think Riley is retained for another year.

Like i said, I expect us to go full "Nebraska", and figure out a way to screw this up. We will either retain Riley, or hire some candidate  out of left field that no one saw coming. It will be interesting to see what the narrative is this time...

Just let the situation play out and judge it when it happens. There is no point in being negative about it when it hasnt happened. Moos was a left field hire because people only want athletic directors they know which is like two or three ADs. Moos seems like a great fit the more you look into it. He has been at places that need to be rebuilt and has done it successfully before. Plus he has a midwestern type of personality. Good fit for Nebraska I think. I trust him. 

Edited by Rike Miley
  • Plus1 4

I don't know what to think at this point.

I was poking around a few different places, and came across some interesting information, none of which is necessarily credible, but appropriate for this area of HB. 

Without getting into too many details out of respect for those who were also present to witness what I heard it appears the plan to get rid of Riley started even before Moos was hired (after Northern Illinois before Eichorst was canned).

I’m a big Frost fan and hope he will be the coach someday down the line but do feel there was somewhat of a sabotage to get Riley out. I can’t say for sure if Frost will take the job or not but can assume it is likely if certain metrics are met. I do know some talks have already been had. Please don’t get me wrong because I know Riley hasn’t helped his cause either.

I feel I’m stating the obvious however considering a verbal or written statement of even the slightest confidence was never provided regarding Riley and staff. Based on that it was only a matter of time before the recruiting class (the one Riley crutch he had) would go into disarray.

I do hope the next coaching hire works out because we seem to be putting a lot of eggs in one basket with this next coach, regardless of who it is.

Hopefully that offers a little something but Riley being gone is about 100% based on what I’ve heard and look for it to happen fairly quickly after the Iowa game.

With all due respect, this is really not plausible.

No one knew how our season would unfold that early in the year....nor UCF's season. Not a knock on OP.....but whatever he heard sounds like a bit of a bar story.

Sure it is because that is exactly what happened. It was never so much about our season as it was Scott Frost. Once he started hot and Green and Bounds got the word through back channels he'd come back, that was the focus. The NIU loss created the opportunity because it tilted the odds heavily in favor of us finishing with at least four losses, but more likely five.

And at that point it’s an easy sell to a portion of the fan base, regents, and boosters that never liked Riley from the start. Just fire the AD to fan the flames of uncertainty, have Hawks the money man get the OWH to start pumping out Frost the native son articles, and then watch the fire grow. Run out the West Coast guy to bring in a homegrown one who knows the Nebraska Way.

This type of stuff has been going on since the Bo era. Twice they stepped in to save him because he was a TO coach, and they never liked Eichorst for canning him and possibly tarnishing that legacy. You think it’s a coincidence that Lee Barfknecht wrote a series of very personal attacks on Eichorst over the last year? It’s not. It was all very well organized by the money men.

Ultimately Shawn deserved what he got because he waited far too long to can Miles and he let the major sports hang up mediocre records. But it was also a certainty that when he got clipped, his lone major coaching hire was going with him. So whether it was 8-4 this year or 5-7, it mattered not so long as Scott was coming home.

What’s sad, though, isn't that Riley will be fired. It’s that there were a ton of ways they could have executed it better while preserving the recruiting class and easing the transition. They also could have shot for the moon with a better coach than Frost. Instead, for the fourth straight coaching search we settled for less than the best, and we compounded that by handing Frost a s#!t sandwich for a recruiting class.

That type of administrative incompetence has become the true Nebraska Way.

Edited by speedtoburn
1 hour ago, speedtoburn said:

Color me jaded...

Hate to say it, but I've seen nothing which makes me think we are going to right the ship.

the Moos hire has eery shade of the Riley hire, in that it was completely out of left field. For whatever reason, the leadership at our school continuously chooses to make head scratching hires at multiple levels. 

Instead of making moves to hire individuals that Conventional Wisdom says would have a good chance of succeeding, we make these oddball hires, and then the media machine that is the OWH, LJS, Et al. cranks up, and begins to construct a narrative to convince us all why Coach "X" or AD "Y" was a good hire despite many of us knowing in our gut that something smells. They use buzz words/phrases like "sneaky good hire", "under the radar", etc., etc

This is a pattern which repeats itself over, and over, and over. Rinse and repeat.

I don't know what to think about this whole coaching situation. I do know that in the absence of any verifiable detail, the shortest distance between two points is a straight line, which makes me think that if Riley were going to fired, it would have happened already. I also don't believe that Eichorst was fired SOLELY because of Riley. Eichorst had many issues, Riley was just one of them, and the blowout loss was the  straw that broke the Camels back.

Whether you want Frost, Campbell, Patterson, Fuentes, whoever your dream candidate is. If Moos truly does intend to hire a new coach, and is playing a figurative Chess game right now, then he made a colossal stupid opening move by     Painting himself into a corner and saying no mid season coaching changes. IMO, he should have been decisive, fired Riley, and given his program the one month lead that Florida now has.

If I had to guess at this point, I think Riley is retained for another year.

Like i said, I expect us to go full "Nebraska", and figure out a way to screw this up. We will either retain Riley, or hire some candidate  out of left field that no one saw coming. It will be interesting to see what the narrative is this time...

Don't let speculation get the best of you. Just because media people didn't know who the AD was before it was announced doesn't mean it was a bad process. There were only two people who did the actual interviews so the chance for real leaks was minimized a great deal. None of the USA Today, CBS Sports, ESPN, etc, people knew who was actually interviewed

SE made an incompetent hire. 

Edited by jessica0

13 minutes ago, jessica0 said:

Don't let speculation get the best of you. Just because media people didn't know who the AD was before it was announced doesn't mean it was a bad process. There were only two people who did the actual interviews so the chance for real leaks was minimized a great deal. None of the USA Today, CBS Sports, ESPN, etc, people knew who was actually hired. 

SE made an incompetent hire. 

Jessica,

I just want us to get this thing right, that's all I ask...that's all that so many of us ask.

I don't want A long time loyal assistant who has no HC experience orA fired NFL coach who's players wanted to kill him the season before or A mediocre DC and certified nutball or A nice guy in his 60s with barely a .500 record and clear weak talent assessment skills.

We are up against a history of incompetence that is staggering. Maybe the better question here, is in spite of all the above, beyond a "feeling", what makes you think we will not bungle this situation like we have done with EVERY previous coach?

Edited by speedtoburn

It doesn't make any difference that Riley is finishing the season. No sitting coach will talk to anyone officially til after the season anyway.  Either way you are reliant on back-channel communications.  Riley gives the program a friendly face  and is still getting recruits in, there is little point in canning him now. Him finishing the season hardly implies we plan on keeping him.

As far as Moos goes he wasn't the common rumor-mill guy but he does have a legit resume. Did good things at Oregon, only left because he refused to be Phil Knight's puppet. At Wazzu he sold Leach on taking that job when the guy did have other options. He's a football guy that knows what he was brought in here to do.

Yes, we've totally screwed the pooch on some things.  There is no getting around that. But a different administration doing it doesn't mean this one will.

10 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

If Florida gets Frost somehow, people will panic. After Frost Moos has a short list of 5 coaches, and I don't know the others but this is rumorville so why not speculate.

In no particular order

Matt Campbell

Les Miles

Brent Venables

Chip Kelly 

Justin Fuente

Left Field hire

Jason Candle 

Don't think we can get Fuente or Kelly. Don't want Miles. My list is:

Campbell

Chad Morris

Mullen

Norvell

Neal Brown

3 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

I hope we don't screw this up, if we do, there is no returning from it! :(

That is debatable. Are you talking if we don't get this one right we will not return for good? If we don't get Scott now we can get him later. Doubt he can take down Saban fast enough for Florida boosters to be happy- they probably give him 4 years. I like are chances of getting Scott and it will be interesting to see how well he will do here. Lots of points will be scored for the Scarlet and Cream if he does come here.

26 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Don't think we can get Fuente or Kelly. Don't want Miles. My list is:

Campbell

Chad Morris

Mullen

Norvell

Neal Brown

Yea that is your short list and it has some solid hires on it, but Moos would have a way more aggressive list than that. Chad is going to TAMU and Mullen has a large buyout for mediocrity, Neal Brown still has some things to shore up before I would hire him. The other two- Norvell and Campbell I would not mind either of them coming to Lincoln. Another guy to watch out for is the Army coach Jeff Monken, especially if he wins out. The only FCS coach I would want is Chris Kleiman, but he is set at NDSU and I don't think boosters or Moos wants to risk it. 

To the OP- it would be pretty hard to screw up the hire if we fired Mikes as there are plenty of candidates who could do better than him. Doubt we keep him, unless Moos wants to go 4-8 next year...

Edited by HuskermanMike
14 minutes ago, HuskermanMike said:

That is debatable. Are you talking if we don't get this one right we will not return for good? If we don't get Scott now we can get him later. Doubt he can take down Saban fast enough for Florida boosters to be happy- they probably give him 4 years. I like are chances of getting Scott and it will be interesting to see how well he will do here. Lots of points will be scored for the Scarlet and Cream if he does come here.

No, it really has nothing to do with Frost, it has to do with getting this hire right in general. We've made so many damn poor highers over the years this is probably the most important as we are completely irrelevant at this point. We screw this up we're probably looking at another 10 to 15 years of crappy football. 

2 minutes ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

No, it really has nothing to do with Frost, it has to do with getting this hire right in general. We've made so many damn poor highers over the years this is probably the most important as we are completely irrelevant at this point. We screw this up we're probably looking at another 10 to 15 years of crappy football. 

Ok gotcha. I agree this hire is extremely crucial, but I doubt if we hire the wrong guy we are stuck in 9 win land(mediocrity) or worse for 10 years. We have to eventually get over the proverbial hump that is winning a CCG, we got one taken away, one where we should have put OU away and another where the team left the defense in Lincoln. We have been so close and yet so far away it is like mind games are being played on us. Anyway, it may take a great football coach 4 years to right the ship, I think if any coach can get 9 wins with that brutal 2018 schedule in year one that would be a great start(as long as it is not someone named Bo or Carl). 

4 hours ago, speedtoburn said:

Jessica,

I just want us to get this thing right, that's all I ask...that's all that so many of us ask.

I don't want A long time loyal assistant who has no HC experience orA fired NFL coach who's players wanted to kill him the season before or A mediocre DC and certified nutball or A nice guy in his 60s with barely a .500 record and clear weak talent assessment skills.

We are up against a history of incompetence that is staggering. Maybe the better question here, is in spite of all the above, beyond a "feeling", what makes you think we will not bungle this situation like we have done with EVERY previous coach?

I think it's less that there isn't a chance we don't bungle the whole thing, and more that your logic for why we will doesn't make an ounce of sense.

In what way did the Moos hire reflect the Riley hire other than most of us didn't know his name before hand? How many athletic director's names do you know off the top of your head? Do you have a single source of credible information that it was a bad hire? Or are you taking your own lack of knowledge of the guy and, instead of admitting that you don't know, accusing him of being a bad hire?

• Plus1 1