khaake

Football and Militarism

BigRedBuster    8,064
On 11/11/2017 at 8:57 PM, GBR0988 said:

How specific do you want me to be? I could just go broad and say the left, the media, and academia. Not letting the past be the past and trying to move forward together. Many of these people would rather we be Europe.

You’re going to have to be more specific than that. 

Fru    868
On 11/11/2017 at 8:57 PM, GBR0988 said:

How specific do you want me to be? I could just go broad and say the left, the media, and academia. Not letting the past be the past and trying to move forward together. Many of these people would rather we be Europe.

Does attacking war widows and POW's count as being anti-American? 

BigRedBuster    8,064

Does endorsing and befriending brutal dictators count as unamerican?

edit to add:  while ignoring and angering our most loyal and long time ally. One that values freedom and human rights. 

Edited by BigRedBuster

TGHusker    1,335
On 11/7/2017 at 2:41 PM, knapplc said:

This probably belongs in Politics & Religion more than Husker Football, but I see why you put it here.  The conversation is going to be heavily politicized.

I am very uncomfortable with the militarization of football, especially at the college (amateur) level.  It is deliberate, and it's been noticed by a lot of people.

Football Shaped by Military

Pentagon Paid Up To $6.8 Million Of Taxpayer Money To Pro Sports Teams For Military Tributes

There's a difference between patriotism and jingoism. One is a healthy love and respect for your country - which we should all have (and if you don't have it, you have to work to make your country worth having it).  The other, jingoism, is an extremist love of country, often characterized by aggression.  Jingoism is a tool used by governments to control the people - and ours uses it to control us.  

Learned a new word today - thanks Knapp.   Jingoism sounds a bit too much like some of the stuff we are seeing in the USA today with the rise of Trumpism - the extreme nation first rhetoric, extreme anti-immigration view points that has emboldened the alt right groups.