Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

23 hours ago, BoneyardHusker said:

If we don't get Frost I would like to see Nebraska at least look at Chip Kelly. Between Frost and Kelly I would prefer Frost because I think Frost would be here for many years, while I think Chip Kelly would be successful and leave for either another NFL gig in 4 years.

Chip Kelly isn't the right personality at Nebraska, he would win the Cornhuskers many games no doubt, but he is not a likeable guy and he would rather be left alone and do strictly football coaching rather then cater to the boosters, fans, recruits.

He is  a great football coach, and would win Nebraska a lot of games, but I don't see his personality fitting here and I also don't see him sticking around long term.

agree with this.  Scott is the best long term solution.

9 hours ago, Pedro Guerrero said:

Plan B will only be underwhelming to the "Frost or Bust" folks that won't give anyone else a chance. 

Unless will settle again for a Billy C, Pelini or Riley type.

Plan B has always worked out really well for me. I've been totally thrilled with it the 8-10 times I've needed it. 

• Plus1 1

I don't see the fascination of Chip Kelly.  He inherited a successful Oregon program from Mike Bellotti and yes, he sustained the program's winning ways.  But I was shocked he could not hang with Auburn in the NC.  IMHO, Nebraska needs a coach with a little fire in his belly.  Not Pelini belly fire, but a vocal coach.  Not an argument, just an opinion.

• Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, Huskerboxerpapa said:

I don't see the fascination of Chip Kelly.  He inherited a successful Oregon program from Mike Bellotti and yes, he sustained the program's winning ways.  But I was shocked he could not hang with Auburn in the NC.  IMHO, Nebraska needs a coach with a little fire in his belly.  Not Pelini belly fire, but a vocal coach.  Not an argument, just an opinion.

I'm not a fan of hiring Chip Kelly, but his Oregon team DID hang with Auburn. Auburn kicked a FG as time expired to win 22-19.

25 minutes ago, Huskerboxerpapa said:

Ok it was not that successful under Bellotti and he did a lot more than sustaining winning ways.  He brought them to the top, which they had never been.  When he left how did Mark H do at sustaining that winning culture?  How about Taggart now?  Oregon was what they were because of Chip. 

On 11/7/2017 at 6:40 PM, Nebhawk said:

His system works?  He hasn't won anything any where yet.  He was a bust in the NFL.  Look at what Doug Pederson is doing at Philly.

Sure his system worked to go to the Natty title game, but his teams are not rugged enough for B1G football.  He is a Pac 12 coach, and I think we by now should be done with that.

So was Nick Saban. 

• Plus1 1
20 hours ago, Throw Dem Bones said:

While no one would turn that record or winning away there’s no promise that’ll happen at Nebraska. Google Rich Rodriguez... similar offenses, not identical but similar styles. Rich Rod did big things at WVU and even at Arizona but that trip to Michigan was a rough ride.

Its all about the fit of the coach for a program and the conference. What works in the pac12 or big12 may not work here.

You know who else runs a similar offense? 

32 minutes ago, Huskerboxerpapa said:

WHAT??  That was a great title game and Auburn literally scored at the end to win the game, if my memory serves me right.  Not to mention that Auburn squad featured one of the best college QBs in recent memory in Cam Newton.  Your uneducated statement is simply wrong or you were under the influence of something illegal during that game as clearly we were watching different games.

I honestly don't get the expectations of a lot of you on this board.  Yeah Scott Frost is ideal- he's a Nebraska guy, would get the culture, and has proven to be successful at all of his stops but if he isn't in the cards, who else could you possibly come up with that is a clear upgrade over Chip Kelly?  I think all of you are overlooking the fact that Oregon is very similar to Nebraska's situation (small state population wise, couple of big population centers) and he was able to get athletes to come play for (1 of which happened to win the Heisman that his staff recruited).  Yeah, he had Nike behind him but he clearly proved that not only could he get athletes for his system but that he could also develop them.  This isn't the 90's folks, we're not ripping away urban meyer or nick saban.  For those posters on their high horse saying Chip's college resume isn't that great, please prove me wrong and name a few other coaches that would be a better option.

Chip would be a home run of a hire and I guarantee you Florida, Tennessee, and UCLA will be gunning for him.  Do I think he ends up here?  Definitely not, I think he's got UCLA written all over him.  But if we were to land him?!?! ITS AWN

7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

You would actually have to not like Chip as a person (because you still have Bo-shock) to not think he would be an amazing hire.

Some people really need to get "over Bo"

I don't think CK is an amazing hire. I think he's got an off-putting personality that may not fit well in Nebraska and that he previously caught lightning in a bottle at Oregon and am not sure he'll be able to replicate that here.

Having said that, I don't think he's a bad hire and I'd certainly be excited to see what he could do if he's hired.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

I don't think CK is an amazing hire. I think he's got an off-putting personality that may not fit well in Nebraska and that he previously caught lightning in a bottle at Oregon and am not sure he'll be able to replicate that here.

Having said that, I don't think he's a bad hire and I'd certainly be excited to see what he could do if he's hired.

I think the off-putting personality is on our end.  Fans suck...we are annoying and we want more and more and more.  Basically we (myself included) are super annoying.  Mike Riley literally gets made fun of for being too nice!  Think about that!

• Plus1 1
Just now, teachercd said:

I think the off-putting personality is on our end.  Fans suck...we are annoying and we want more and more and more.  Basically we (myself included) are super annoying.  Mike Riley literally gets made fun of for being too nice!  Think about that!

Chip Kelly's personality has nothing to do with the fans. Nor does Mike Riley's or Bo Pelini's or Tom Osborne's or etc. etc. I think Nebraska's HC needs to be open with the fanbase regardless of if he's nice or surly or whatever, and I don't think CK will be a good fit.

Just now, RedDenver said:

Chip Kelly's personality has nothing to do with the fans. Nor does Mike Riley's or Bo Pelini's or Tom Osborne's or etc. etc. I think Nebraska's HC needs to be open with the fanbase regardless of if he's nice or surly or whatever, and I don't think CK will be a good fit.

I didn't say it did.  I said our personalities suck.

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA