Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

Just now, RedDenver said:

Ok.

That won't change no matter who's the next HC, so does that matter to whether he should hire CK?

No, that is my point.  Kelly is a great hire and it doesn't matter if we think he will share enough with us.  We suck, fans suck, we are annoying.  Riley used to have open practices(for the fans)...he got here and that stopped.

The only thing that matters to me and all fans (you too) is if the coach wins a lot of games.  I don't need tweets and smiles and handshakes, I don't need open practices and cute sound bites.  All I want...

A Spring Game

12 regular season games where the team plays well and wins about 9 or 10 of during a bad season and 11 or more during a great year.

I don't care at all about the rest of it.  Just like the the NU coach doesn't care what I do and how I act.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No, that is my point.  Kelly is a great hire and it doesn't matter if we think he will share enough with us.  We suck, fans suck, we are annoying.  Riley used to have open practices(for the fans)...he got here and that stopped.

The only thing that matters to me and all fans (you too) is if the coach wins a lot of games.  I don't need tweets and smiles and handshakes, I don't need open practices and cute sound bites.  All I want...

A Spring Game

12 regular season games where the team plays well and wins about 9 or 10 of during a bad season and 11 or more during a great year.

I don't care at all about the rest of it.  Just like the the NU coach doesn't care what I do and how I act.

Yes, if he's winning at a level like Saban is, then you're right. But when the eventual merely good or mediocre years come, or not winning a championship, then his personality and relationship to the fans is going to matter. It's a big part of what sunk Pelini. Once the fanbase is divided, it's hard to recover from that.

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Yes, if he's winning at a level like Saban is, then you're right. But when the eventual merely good or mediocre years come, or not winning a championship, then his personality and relationship to the fans is going to matter. It's a big part of what sunk Pelini. Once the fanbase is divided, it's hard to recover from that.

I don't think it was divided...people wanted a change with Bo and couldn't find ENOUGH so they went with "he is mean" okay, great.

We got Mike and people were like "Hey, as long as he is nice and represents the school the right way that is all that matters" and well, it didn't.  We turned on him.

So it doesn't actually matter HOW they act...it just matters how they win

6 minutes ago, huskerfan69 said:

are there seriously people who would not want kelly? yea he struggled in the nfl but so did saban.

Again, What did Kelly do in College football?  Played for one NC.  Sure in 4 years he did really good things.  He also had a Heisman front runner, and some really good offensive players.  Saban didn't do great in NFL, but had won a title already before he left.  Besides, there is only one Saban, like there was only one Tom Osborne.  They don't grow these coaches on trees.  Its time we find that fit for Nebraska, not the fit the looks the part.  Would I reject Chipster getting hired here, Heck no.  He would be a huge improvement over what has been since 97'!  He is not a Husker and would basically use this place for about 3 years, and bolt either back to the NFL or to the Pac 12.  That is my big down side on him, more than his coaching ability.  

Listened to 590am today and they were ranking (Severe) the Nebraska program.   18-20 was the overwhelming consensus.  Thats looking at jobs right now, not based on something that happened 20 years ago.  So, that is about fair and right if your open minded.  Our coaching staff ranks in the bottom of the power 5 schools.  We have lowballed our way for the last 20 years.  This is why we hired Riley and Bo.  Well in my opinion, you get what you pay for.  

On 11/7/2017 at 6:49 PM, jessica0 said:

I am stunned that people would turn this away:

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°
Oregon Ducks (Pac-10/Pac-12 Conference) (2009–present)
2009 Oregon 10–3 8–1 1st L Rose 11 11
2010 Oregon 12–1 9–0 1st L BCS NCG 3 3
2011 Oregon 12–2 8–1 T–1st (North) W Rose 4 4
2012 Oregon 12–1 8–1 T–1st (North) W Fiesta 2 2
Oregon: 46–7 33–3  
Total: 46–7  
      National championship         Conference title         Conference division title

Well you see, they want a splash hire. Someone who is........Nick Saban.

Chip would be a great get if NU can't get Frost. Fans won't care about the alienation. Boosters might, but why? After all this time...no one in Nebraska cares about anything except being competitive and relevant. NU program is the state's life. Nebraska has literally NOTHING else but Nebraska football. 

College World Series I guess....but that's not something people hold on to like NU football

14 minutes ago, Coach Power'T said:

Well you see, they want a splash hire. Someone who is........Nick Saban.

Chip would be a great get if NU can't get Frost. Fans won't care about the alienation. Boosters might, but why? After all this time...no one in Nebraska cares about anything except being competitive and relevant. NU program is the state's life. Nebraska has literally NOTHING else but Nebraska football. 

College World Series I guess....but that's not something people hold on to like NU football

Henry Doorly Zoo says "Hi!":D

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

Again, What did Kelly do in College football?  Played for one NC.  Sure in 4 years he did really good things.  He also had a Heisman front runner, and some really good offensive players.  Saban didn't do great in NFL, but had won a title already before he left.  Besides, there is only one Saban, like there was only one Tom Osborne.  They don't grow these coaches on trees.  Its time we find that fit for Nebraska, not the fit the looks the part.  Would I reject Chipster getting hired here, Heck no.  He would be a huge improvement over what has been since 97'!  He is not a Husker and would basically use this place for about 3 years, and bolt either back to the NFL or to the Pac 12.  That is my big down side on him, more than his coaching ability.  

Listened to 590am today and they were ranking (Severe) the Nebraska program.   18-20 was the overwhelming consensus.  Thats looking at jobs right now, not based on something that happened 20 years ago.  So, that is about fair and right if your open minded.  Our coaching staff ranks in the bottom of the power 5 schools.  We have lowballed our way for the last 20 years.  This is why we hired Riley and Bo.  Well in my opinion, you get what you pay for.  

What has Frost done as an HC? 

2 hours ago, Blackshirts007 said:

Ok it was not that successful under Bellotti and he did a lot more than sustaining winning ways.  He brought them to the top, which they had never been.  When he left how did Mark H do at sustaining that winning culture?  How about Taggart now?  Oregon was what they were because of Chip. 

Bellotti's team thoroughly dominated CU in the Fiesta Bowl for a 12-1 season.  I don't think Chip ever produced a better finish. 

Kelly inherited a 10 win team, had the full backing of Nike's money and marketing behind him, then found a Texas street agent to help recruit for him and land the key players to his success. 

Everything I've read about him says he doesn't like to recruit or deal with fans, boosters, and the media.  That's a formula for success in Lincoln(sarc). When he landed at Orgone his system was novel and none of the pac-ten defenses were geared to stop it.  The college landscape has changed dramatically ever since, similar offenses have sprung up everywhere and defenses have changed, adapted, and are much more prepared now.  Also, Stanford, the only power team in the pac-ten gave him losses.  How's that going to work in a conference with multiple power teams?

Also unlike his Orgone run, he's not inheriting the hottest team in the conference, his system wouldn't be taking anyone by surprise, Orgone actually recruits at a higher level according to rankings than Nebraska and if he doesn't like to recruit how's that going to change?  Then there's the fact none of our QB's are Marrioda like and will all fare better in MR's system. 

• Plus1 3
On 11/7/2017 at 4:53 PM, RedNebraskan said:

Why the hate on Chip Kelly?  The scandal right?

One of the major complaints with Callahan and Pelini to some degree was their lack of interest in Husker history and past players.  We can agree or disagree on the importance of that issue.  Chip Kelly would have little interest in Husker lore.  Can he coach.....yes.  Can he run a clean program.....debatable.  Would he be an improvement over Riley and staff....yes.  One thing I remember about Oregon teams.  They didn't always do well vs Big Ten teams in the playoffs.  

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA