Chip Kelly to UCLA

Chadhusker

8 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

What has Frost done as an HC? 

No  one will say that Frostys resume is better than Chipsters.  Frost was a part of those teams as well...........hum...........Its not about being a great football coach, its about being a great football coach at Nebraska.  You can hire a butt load of coaches with great profiles and resumes(which would be first here!) but I truly feel that its going to take more than that for this program to re-establish whats been gone.  B1G has top notch coaching names.  Harbaugh and Meyer are headliners followed by James Franklin and Paul Chrsyt and Dantoni.  So that right there is enoough for some ego coaches to pass on this league right now.  We can't compete in there recruiting grounds.  Were not from that tradition yet.  We have to go and find our own 4 and 5 star players from a different region.  We can't recruit Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and other eastern areas.  We have to go and get Texas, Florida, and maybe some California guys to come here.  Thats already one knock against us.  Maybe someday OU will go to the B1G, and then we might have some form of tradition reinstated.  Right now, our recruiting footprint can't be big enough.  We have to recruit the whole nation looking for those players that can be difference makers.  

How many big name coaches are willing to put that kind of work into a team?  I am guessing that not many are.  Tom Osborne was maybe the greatest football coach of all time in college football.  He got great talent, but not always the greatest talented teams and won.  He won games on a consistent nature.  His players loved him and would run thru those brick walls.  They came here for him and his legacy.  Its time that everyone accepts that.  Finding that next T.O. is the greatest task that faces this program.  Maybe it will never get done.

• Plus1 2

I admit that I have not read every comment in this entire area of Scott Frost as our next coach (there are too many frankly).   So I am sorry if this question, which I have posed more than  aonce already, has been answered in some detail, but?       What exactly makes Frost the next Tom Osborne or Bob Devaney or Saban or Meyer or Bryant or Parseg or you fill in the blank inhistorically 'great' college coaches?   What makes him better than Riley besides a lack of 25 years of coaching experience with a .500 lifetime win/loss record?   How many titles has Frost been the H.C. for?   I think we can all agree that being a coordinator or assistant under a great coach doesn't mean that you are aassuredly going to be a great H.C.   Pelini, Callahan, Bohl, Gill, and go on and on have all tutored for many years under excellent coaches and have loads of experience beyond Frost.   We really DON"T have enough evidence on Scott Frost to make the entire future of Husker football his to save/rebuild/resurrect, etc.   

This is the most important hire in Husker football history really as the sands of time are taking a toll.   Four previous hires by people with lots of knowledge and connections to college football and, Nebraska have not been successful and all of them have far more experience and reputation than Frost.   He is young and some would say he is ambitious and certainly has some Husker history. (albeit 'mixed' in some ways).   I remain very uneasy about this 'mob' mentality that is so determined and decided that Frost is our savior.     

He is cocky to the point of arrogance (some would say that is a virtue in coaching).   The question is how well will he relate to his staff?   Can he boss successfully assistants with 10 or 15 years of superiority on him in the business?   We need a staff that he can guide and lead and instruct and boss and will not question or doubt when the going gets tough.

Will the same mob that is so anxious to see him crowned the new king be patient, understanding and supportive without question when things don't go right?   He might lose 10 games next fall and 8 more in year two?   What say you Frost backers when we suffer several blow outs in fall of 2019?   What will people say if his first recruiting class comes in a number 67?

His second one is only number 39 and lacks the key ingredients needed to rebuild on the line of scrimmage and RB and QB spots.     

2 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I admit that I have not read every comment in this entire area of Scott Frost as our next coach (there are too many frankly).   So I am sorry if this question, which I have posed more than  aonce already, has been answered in some detail, but?       What exactly makes Frost the next Tom Osborne or Bob Devaney or Saban or Meyer or Bryant or Parseg or you fill in the blank inhistorically 'great' college coaches?   What makes him better than Riley besides a lack of 25 years of coaching experience with a .500 lifetime win/loss record?   How many titles has Frost been the H.C. for?   I think we can all agree that being a coordinator or assistant under a great coach doesn't mean that you are aassuredly going to be a great H.C.   Pelini, Callahan, Bohl, Gill, and go on and on have all tutored for many years under excellent coaches and have loads of experience beyond Frost.   We really DON"T have enough evidence on Scott Frost to make the entire future of Husker football his to save/rebuild/resurrect, etc.   

This is the most important hire in Husker football history really as the sands of time are taking a toll.   Four previous hires by people with lots of knowledge and connections to college football and, Nebraska have not been successful and all of them have far more experience and reputation than Frost.   He is young and some would say he is ambitious and certainly has some Husker history. (albeit 'mixed' in some ways).   I remain very uneasy about this 'mob' mentality that is so determined and decided that Frost is our savior.     

He is cocky to the point of arrogance (some would say that is a virtue in coaching).   The question is how well will he relate to his staff?   Can he boss successfully assistants with 10 or 15 years of superiority on him in the business?   We need a staff that he can guide and lead and instruct and boss and will not question or doubt when the going gets tough.

Will the same mob that is so anxious to see him crowned the new king be patient, understanding and supportive without question when things don't go right?   He might lose 10 games next fall and 8 more in year two?   What say you Frost backers when we suffer several blow outs in fall of 2019?   What will people say if his first recruiting class comes in a number 67?

His second one is only number 39 and lacks the key ingredients needed to rebuild on the line of scrimmage and RB and QB spots.     

Lol... too many to read, yet you write a book and no one will read it now.

I just don't see Kelly as a fit in Lincoln. Not to mention it wasn't that long ago he claims he has been yet to be contacted by any college since he left Oregon.  Sure he had the show clause and was in the NFL but it just seems colleges aren't as eager to deal with him as some of the fanbases are. 

Personally there are many coaches I would want in front of him when it came to  the Nebraska job. 

• Plus1 4
10 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

I just don't see Kelly as a fit in Lincoln. Not to mention it wasn't that long ago he claims he has been yet to be contacted by any college since he left Oregon.  Sure he had the show clause and was in the NFL but it just seems colleges aren't as eager to deal with him as some of the fanbases are. 

Personally there are many coaches I would want in front of him when it came to  the Nebraska job. 

Winning solves everything.  Sure.  It does.  At the same time yeah...his personality.  He's been with 7 different teams total since he began his coaching career and just doesn't strike me as the most loyal of guys for some reason.  He also has a NCAA probation (Oregon was placed on 3 years probation for their use of football scouting services) on his resume during his time at Oregon which of course he bailed to the NFL just as that was handed down.  Then there were his crazy personnel decisions he made at the end of his Eagles tenure that Eagles fans will never forget.

All things that look bright and shiny aren't always as such.  

Hard pass.

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Bellotti's team thoroughly dominated CU in the Fiesta Bowl for a 12-1 season.  I don't think Chip ever produced a better finish. 

Kelly inherited a 10 win team, had the full backing of Nike's money and marketing behind him, then found a Texas street agent to help recruit for him and land the key players to his success. 

Everything I've read about him says he doesn't like to recruit or deal with fans, boosters, and the media.  That's a formula for success in Lincoln(sarc). When he landed at Orgone his system was novel and none of the pac-ten defenses were geared to stop it.  The college landscape has changed dramatically ever since, similar offenses have sprung up everywhere and defenses have changed, adapted, and are much more prepared now.  Also, Stanford, the only power team in the pac-ten gave him losses.  How's that going to work in a conference with multiple power teams?

Also unlike his Orgone run, he's not inheriting the hottest team in the conference, his system wouldn't be taking anyone by surprise, Orgone actually recruits at a higher level according to rankings than Nebraska and if he doesn't like to recruit how's that going to change?  Then there's the fact none of our QB's are Marrioda like and will all fare better in MR's system. 

Yes, Bellotti's team dominated CU in 2001 and went 11-1 but Chip went 12-1 TWICE as the HC,  2010 & 2012.

After that 11-1 team of Bellotti's,  Oregon went:

2002: 7-6

2003: 8-5

2004: 5-6

2005: 10-2

2006: 7-6

2007: 9-4 ( First year with Kelly as OC )

2008: 10-3

2009: 10-3 ( First year with Kelly as HC )

2010: 12-1

2011: 12-2

2012: 12-1 ( Last year with Kelly as HC )

Just looking at that tells me that Kelly was a big upgrade to Bellotti's team starting in '07.   Those 5-6 years that Kelly was apart of that team,  they became A LOT better.

I would not be upset one bit if he came here and had that success. 

• Plus1 1

41 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

It's not so much his overall coaching ability but it is his fit. In my opinion many of our problems have stem from the fact we have brought in people that did not fit Lincoln or what this program was built on. It takes a certain type of coach and personality to succeed here imo. 

You know what that certain type of coach is?  A winning one.

• Plus1 3
52 minutes ago, BartonHusker said:

It's not so much his overall coaching ability but it is his fit. In my opinion many of our problems have stem from the fact we have brought in people that did not fit Lincoln or what this program was built on. It takes a certain type of coach and personality to succeed here imo. 

I don't understand this statement. Osborne didn't have much of a personality, so if we are looking for someone in that mold it might be tough. Just get a good coach. Stop putting these parameters on how they should do it with the obvious exception of doing it within the rules. So many people want the next coach to win at a high level but only if they "fit" the Nebraska culture/mold that isn't even all that identifiable. What exactly is the mold that Nebraska coaches need to fit that differs from what every other college coaching job requires?

• Mavric changed the title to Chip Kelly to UCLA