Diaco sounding off against Rugby Tackling

Oh and classy move by Sam Mckewon to call Banker for an interview.... Way to throw gasoline on an already extremely volatile situation. I just don;t understand why this was necessary to interview Banker, all it does is make Riley's job more tumultuous than it already is. Which reflects poorly on our football program. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, famoustitles said:

Here's what a Notre Dame poster had to say about Diaco on another board:

In short, get used to extremely vanilla zone schemes where your defense will beg the opposing offense to flat out out-execute them. Most college offenses won't as long as you have talent on D. When you get out-talented and out-schemed though, whoa those floodgates rip wide open

Seems to be the way it goes with these bend-don't-break defenses. How many times did we hear Bo say "we just didn't execute"? And I think somewhere in his word soup, Diaco said something about the strain on players of trying not to be out-executed.

Edited by Toe
42 minutes ago, timmytbro said:

Oh and classy move by Sam Mckewon to call Banker for an interview.... Way to throw gasoline on an already extremely volatile situation. I just don;t understand why this was necessary to interview Banker, all it does is make Riley's job more tumultuous than it already is. Which reflects poorly on our football program. 

It's not Sam's job to be classy or to look out for Riley. He called Banker bc Diaco said that the decision to go to rugby tackling came from above Riley. Banker gave his thoughts on the matter.

As a guy who has just been too damn busy to follow Football like I used to and getting my Husker news and info from here; it’s a circus. 

I stop in here once a week or so to get the score, “what did we learn” info, and maybe stop by recruiting to see how the class is shaping up. 

This is bad. I don’t even care who is to blame. If i was Reilly I’d fire Diaco tonight for public comments subversive to the team. And If i was Diaco I’d start speaking my gut about the program. 

And if I’m Moos, I’m firing them all on Saturday evening.  This is insane and I’m not embarrassed to be a Husker fan, but I’m ready for the adults to take over. 

• Plus1 9

1 hour ago, timmytbro said:

Lol seriously? Sam did his job. Diaco attacked Banker, he deserves a chance to respond

• Plus1 3
41 minutes ago, huskerfan92 said:

Lol seriously? Sam did his job. Diaco attacked Banker, he deserves a chance to respond

LOL, while I agree that a person has a constitutional right to confront his accusers, this is not a court of law and all this does is reflect poorly on our football program. F Diaco. All I am saying is that this interview implies that hey if you coach at Nebraska, we will call the previous staff and have them undermine your prowess as a coach. Very childish from Diaco, to Banker, to Sam Mckewon.

51 minutes ago, I am I said:

As a guy who has just been too damn busy to follow Football like I used to and getting my Husker news and info from here; it’s a circus. 

I stop in here once a week or so to get the score, “what did we learn” info, and maybe stop by recruiting to see how the class is shaping up. 

This is bad. I don’t even care who is to blame. If i was Reilly I’d fire Diaco tonight for public comments subversive to the team. And If i was Diaco I’d start speaking my gut about the program. 

And if I’m Moos, I’m firing them all on Saturday evening.  This is insane and I’m not embarrassed to be a Husker fan, but I’m ready for the adults to take over. 

BOOM! this is actually a very compelling thought. 

Just like Riley's lack of institutional control of his players, this lack of control transcends to his coaches as well. 

It is Diaco's job to fix our defense, not blame others for the current performances. 

6 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

There were some things Bob said that were true. It came from above, rugby tackling has been the problem AND it does take time to remove that crap from the players.... reinstalling the proper way to tackle.

Now you know what Shawn was fired!

It may all be factual but the way he is approaching it is still pretty unprofessional and that should be noted. This isn't the first situation he has handled in this way. Even if in all of these situations he makes valid points which I think he does he is very quick to say the problem is all on someone else and take zero responsibility. He may not feel a sense of responsibility, but that is a childish way to approach these things. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
Run on sentences
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

It may all be factual but the way he is approaching it is still pretty unprofessional and that should be noted because this isn't the first situation he has handled in this way, even if in all of these situations he makes valid points which I think he does. But he is very quick to say the problem is all on someone else and takes zero responsibility. He may not feel a sense of responsibility, but that is a childish way to approach these things. 

Oh, I don't disagree one bit.. but don't forget he is fighting for his job. He had no idea this was the crap that was being taught when he agreed to come here.. Still, he should be saying this to ADBM, not the media.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

Oh, I don't disagree one bit.. but don't forget he is fighting for his job. He had no idea this was the crap that was being taught when he agreed to come here.. Still, he should be saying this to ADBM, not the media.

Completely understand that. I think he thought he was going to come here and be able to give up 25 PPG in year 1 and still win alot of games with an explosive offense. I do think he thinks it will take a little more time to make it all work which I don't think is wrong. Our defense hasn't played well but we would look alot better if our offense was more efficient and consistent. We needed our offense to be much better this year. Diaco would thrive if we were scoring touchdowns and they were kicking field goals. That's Diacos formula and it works if your offense scores the touchdowns. It can work with an average offense if the defense is really talented with the right body types, but we don't have that right now. So I don't think the position we are in is really about Diaco and he knows that, but yeah, you just can't openly complain about that to the media. It really hurts the perception of the state of the program, though it obviously couldn't get much worse anyway. 

Edited by Nebfanatic
  • Plus1 1