Diaco sounding off against Rugby Tackling

Pretty soon Nebraska is going to run out of good coaches to hire and then fire!  Then what the heck are we gonna do?

This is seeming like a place where coaching careers go to die.  Pelini, Norvell, Watson, Bohl, Frank, Gill etc etc.  

It seems like these guys look back and they are like, "glad the Nebraska days are over"  Like their career at NU was like living through a 500 year flood or something.

Point being, get the heck off Diaco's back.  He obviously knows more about defense than he has been able to get a across to his team at this point.  I don't believe in indefinite tenure, but he may need a couple years to get this thing in place.

And he was right!  The tackling before he got here was horrible!  Well Jamie, if sprinkles are for winners, rugby tackling is for losers! 

10 minutes ago, Bornhusker said:

I want to add.. posters attacking Bob is pathetic. Bob said he isn't good with talking to the media like that, he apologized in advance, he isn't good at it.

Man, I hope some of you never get put in that situation.

He’s a grown man who has been in coaching for years, even as a HC who is expected to talk to the media A LOT.  He should know better than to just spew s#!t to the media for the whole state of Nebraska to see.  It’s not a good look.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Football Guy Bob said:

He’s a grown man who has been in coaching for years, even as a HC who is expected to talk to the media A LOT.  He should know better than to just spew s#!t to the media for the whole state of Nebraska to see.  It’s not a good look.

Correct, already agreed he shouldn't have talked about this with the media.

Do you think that gives people the right to trash/attack the guy?

Edited by Bornhusker
1 minute ago, Bornhusker said:

Correct, already agreed he shouldn't have talked about this with the media.

Do you think that gives people the right to trash/attack the guy?

Depends on your definition of “trash”.  I’ve seen nothing in this thread that I would call inappropriate.

• Plus1 2

I have heard several rumblings about Rileys lack of player accountability since last season. I also know for a fact Banker and Riley got heated over Nate Gerry. Banker wanted to hold him accountable for skipping class and failing and Riley said No. 

I don't think Riley has a clue on how to establish a culture that breeds excellence. I also think Diaco who has worked for Brian Kelly realizes Riley is a pushover. 

• Plus1 2

At least Diaco defense is multiple and could give offenses fits.  We just are young and not very good at running it yet.  Bankers was a HS defense.  His defense was great against the run, until we needed some stops in the 4th quarter and we get gashed.  It gave up big plays and made every Qb look like Tom Brady.  

Although I don't think it will happen, Diaco's defense could be pretty darn good in a couple years if given the time.  

43 minutes ago, Hedley Lamarr said:

I have heard several rumblings about Rileys lack of player accountability since last season. I also know for a fact Banker and Riley got heated over Nate Gerry. Banker wanted to hold him accountable for skipping class and failing and Riley said No. 

I don't think Riley has a clue on how to establish a culture that breeds excellence. I also think Diaco who has worked for Brian Kelly realizes Riley is a pushover. 

(Sounds like MR is toxic, shhhhh)

I have heard that as well, I don't know if it is true or not but I do think MR is very much a "well, if you want to skip class that is your problem" type of guy.  If I was a college coach I think I would be the same exact way.  I think I would put the responsibility back on the players.  That might be a really bad idea but I think that is how I would do it.  If I noticed it wasn't working I would have my assistants be in charge of that stuff, honestly it is just not something that I am organized enough to do and I also would rather have my best players playing.   

Man it seems like people are missing the bigger story here.  Our coaches were being forced by people above HCMR on how and what to coach, even though the coaches themselves hadn't bought into it.  The chain of command was in complete disarray.  How can we expect the players to buy in to philosophy when our own coaches were against it?

Edited by epocSoN
  • Plus1 5

1 minute ago, epocSoN said:

Man it seems like people are missing the bigger story here.  Our coaches were being forced by people above HCMR on how and what to coach, even though the coaches themselves hadn't bought into it.  The chain of command was in complete disarray.  How can we expect the players to buy in to philosophy when our own coaches we against it?

this-guy-gets-11xabx.jpg

56 minutes ago, Judoka said:

Let's be honest, Diaco undermines his coaching prowess just fine all on his own.

This is just an attack right here. 

Let me ask you: If Sullenberger was riding the controls down to the Hudson, would you be there in his ear screaming "Well Chesney, you're really doing a great job getting us to 30,000 feet today!"

35 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

This is just an attack right here. 

Let me ask you: If Sullenberger was riding the controls down to the Hudson, would you be there in his ear screaming "Well Chesney, you're really doing a great job getting us to 30,000 feet today!"

If a Mod notifies me what I posted is unacceptable I will defer to their judgment.  As it is, I'll just apologize to you for my opinion/statement hurting your feelings.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, epocSoN said:

Man it seems like people are missing the bigger story here.  Our coaches were being forced by people above HCMR on how and what to coach, even though the coaches themselves hadn't bought into it.  The chain of command was in complete disarray.  How can we expect the players to buy in to philosophy when our own coaches were against it?

Did  you read Banker's part of the story? He said that's not how it happened. And Diaco wasn't even here when it supposedly happened, so it's not like he's a first-hand witness. To me, it feels more like Diaco trying to deflect blame away from himself and Riley.

• Plus1 1