A decision could be made sooner than we thought

Vince R.

1 hour ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

With the early signing period this year this makes this hiring/firing different than years past. There's no way to keep the class together right? I'm not into recruiting as much as I was. I just know that's unique to this season. Can someone who's a recruiting guru give me their thoughts on this? 

Early signing period is Dec 20.  With that, I believe that it is imperative to hire a new coach ASAP so that he can try to a) keep as many current commits in the fold as possible and b) convince kids on the fence not to sign w/ another program.

Also, there are just going to be less kids out there for a new coach to go after in January.  It will be interesting to see what happens.  Say you are a kid committed to a MAC/Sun Belt school, but big programs start sniffing around in December, but have not offered. Do you sign with the MAC/Sun Belt school or do you hold out until Feb knowing that you might not have a spot left at the school you are committed to?

Edited by Red Five
  • Plus1 1

I am completely disgusted with the product we've seen on the field this year and I want it to change now. However, the truth of this horrid situation is that there are almost no good reasons to remove Coach Riley with two losses remaining on the schedule. Stack up the rationale on both sides...

Reasons to fire Riley with 2 games left...

1. It will make fans feel like something is being done.

Reasons not to fire Riley until after Black Friday...

1. It isn't going to improve the product on the field for the final 2 games.

2. The players get to finish the season with their coach (many of them like and respect the man).

3. It is a show of respect to a coach that is highly respected among his peers. This matters.

4. Finishing with the worst record since 1961 makes it even more clear to other coaches, recruits, current players, and families of players why it had to be done.

5. It will not speed up the process of hiring a new coach or the ability of the new coach to begin recruiting.

6. It doesn't improve our team for the future.

I hate that Nebraska is in this position. But no part of the cure will be found in firing a coach with 2 games left. The Nebraska football team is not going to improve in the short term or the long term by firing Mike Riley before he ends his third season (even though it will be spectacularly terrible).

Some media members will be encouraging an immediate firing because it gets them more attention (viewers).  They may say that it will show the players that the current product (including mood and effort) is entirely unacceptable. Honestly, if the kids don't know that already, they aren't going to learn it in 2 weeks with a new coach.

Some will say that donations are going to dry up if a change isn't made now. That's BS. If the big money has been coming in for the last three years with the product that's been placed on the field, it isn't going to stop because the AD waited 13 more days to fire the coach. If the new coaching hire isn't a home run the donations may start drying up, but those that wanted to stop giving $$ because of Riley have already made their move.

In the end, this comes down to whether a desperate quick fix is going to make a difference. I'd be the first in line if I thought it would... It won't.

• Plus1 8

6 minutes ago, Kernel Red said:

I am completely disgusted with the product we've seen on the field this year and I want it to change now. However, the truth of this horrid situation is that there are almost no good reasons to remove Coach Riley with two losses remaining on the schedule. Stack up the rationale on both sides...

2. The players get to finish the season with their coach (many of them like and respect the man).

3. It is a show of respect to a coach that is highly respected among his peers. This matters.

4. Finishing with the worst record since 1961 makes it even more clear to other coaches, recruits, current players, and families of players why it had to be done.

5. It will not speed up the process of hiring a new coach or the ability of the new coach to begin recruiting.

I hate that Nebraska is in this position. But no part of the cure will be found in firing a coach with 2 games left. The Nebraska football team is not going to improve in the short term or the long term by firing Mike Riley before he ends his third season (even though it will be spectacularly terrible).

Some media members will be encouraging an immediate firing because it gets them more attention (viewers).  They may say that it will show the players that the current product (including mood and effort) is entirely unacceptable. Honestly, if the kids don't know that already, they aren't going to learn it in 2 weeks with a new coach.

Some will say that donations are going to dry up if a change isn't made now. That's BS. If the big money has been coming in for the last three years with the product that's been placed on the field, it isn't going to stop because the AD waited 13 more days to fire the coach. If the new coaching hire isn't a home run the donations may start drying up, but those that wanted to stop giving $$ because of Riley have already made their move.

In the end, this comes down to whether a desperate quick fix is going to make a difference. I'd be the first in line if I thought it would... It won't.

Excellent first post!

6 minutes ago, Kernel Red said:

firing riley now would simply be symbolic.........ugh

There is a way to split the difference here. Announce he is not coming back after the season. Let this staff coach the last 2 games.

1. Tells the fan base what they want.
  2. Makes it clear to candidates we have an opening
  3. Maybe the players rally for the staff and give some effort in the next 2 weeks.

To not make the announcement in the hopes we can trick recruits into staying committed is dishonest. They are making a big life decision and they deserve to know what we are doing.

Member of the media said it best. A bad recruiting class doesn't sink a program. A bad coaching hires sinks a program.

• Plus1 2