Attending the MN game. Tips?

I have been to:

Illinois

Northwesteren

Wisconsin

Purdue

Minny

Minny was by far the blandest.  The stadium is in a spot where it seems sort of hard to have the closeness of fun.  Hit up Stub and Herbs, it is close to the stadium, it is a bar that is like 50 years old (maybe more) and has a big beer garden with a tunes going.

Other than that, when we got there people told us that a cool spot is the Buffalo Wild Wings right by the stadium.  

1 hour ago, Thurston from Pender said:

Paces to go before and after the game? Parking spots? 

And can we crash your tailgate?

Parking is terrible if you try to show up on gameday expecting to park somewhere w/o planning ahead.  If you can, go online intermediately and try to buy a parking pass at a lot/ramp on campus.  I am a fan of the Oak Street Ramp.  Its about 4 blocks south of the stadium w/ easy access to I-94.  Also, try stubhub for parking passes if the U of MN is sold out.  If you can't get parking on campus, there is a lot a few miles away that you can park at and they will bus you to the stadium.  Also newish is a light rail line you can take.  If you are staying around the Mall of America (like many out of towners), you can just take that (need to connect at US Bank Stadium).

There are a handful of bars a couple blocks south of the stadium.  There is a BWW right across the street w/ and outdoor patio that gets pretty full.  Most of the tailgating happens north of the stadium in a couple surface lots.  Its a fun place to hang out and wander through.

Being an 11 am game, cold, and having both teams stink, there will be a pretty bland atmosphere before hand I imagine.  And I am guessing not even close to a full house.  I hope your tickets are on the north side (where the sun hits) of the stadium.  If not, dress super warm because it gets cold and can be windy w/ the open endzone.

14 minutes ago, huskrmo said:

Fried Cheese Curds in the stadium!

Yes, do this.  And they serve beer inside too, so grab a Summit or Grain Belt to keep you warm on the inside.  Although it may get a bit icy inside the can.

Story time - I had friends who were at the Vikes/Seahawks playoff game a few years ago when it was about 0.  They had to drink the beer fairly quickly to keep it from freezing solid in the can, and even then they were drinking slushy beer.

Edited by Red Five

I'll start off by saying that I didn't do this the last couple of times I've gone to a game there but there is a place a couple of blocks from the stadium called The leaning Tower of Pizza.  They used to charge $20 to park in their parking area but would then give you a $20 gift certificate to use in the bar.  I don't know if they still do it but it was a great deal.

Otherwise, park at the State Fairgrounds.  Plenty of places to tailgate and there is a free shuttle to the game

For tailgating, I usually go to the Gold Lot.  Good people there.  Then again, I know a few of them so it's more fun.

If you want to party before/after the game.  Stay to the east side of the cities.  Like St Paul.  Great breweries.  Lowertown is really fun.  Plus you can ride the lightrail for like $3 and parking is $5.

WHATEVER YOU DO--DO NOT LET MINNESOTA HUSKER CONVINCE YOU TO GO TO THAT GHETTO ASS AREA THAT IS KNOWN AS DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS!!!

Edited by StPaulHusker
9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I'll start off by saying that I didn't do this the last couple of times I've gone to a game there but there is a place a couple of blocks from the stadium called The leaning Tower of Pizza.  They used to charge $20 to park in their parking area but would then give you a $20 gift certificate to use in the bar.

Otherwise, park at the State Fairgrounds.  Plenty of places to tailgate and there is a free shuttle to the game

For tailgating, I usually go to the Gold Lot.  Good people there.  Then again, I know a few of them so it's more fun.

If you want to party before/after the game.  Stay to the east side of the cities.  Like St Paul.  Great breweries.  Lowertown is really fun.  Plus you can ride the lightrail for like $3 and parking is $5.

WHATEVER YOU DO--DO NOT LET MINNESOTA HUSKER CONVINCE YOU TO GO TO THAT GHETTO ASS AREA THAT IS KNOWN AS DOWNTOWN MINNEAPOLIS!!!

Teach, a group of friends, and I went to Minnesota in 2013, and we stayed in an area just off downtown Minneapolis.  It wasn't terrible, just wasn't great. On Friday night, we hit the Pourhouse first, where the NU Alumni Association was having a party.  We hung out with Mitch Sherman (who went to high school with most of us).  After the Pourhouse, one guy had a great idea to hit a strip club.  He found one a couple blocks away.  We walked in and weren't quite the same demographic as the rest of the clientele.  We ordered beers, stood around for about 15 minutes, and then quietly left.  I was talking to a friend at work a couple months later who is from Minnesota.  He told me how there was a murder at that strip club just a few weeks later.  It was so funny.

Edited by ColoradoHusk