Has This Stat Happened Before?

Through 9 games the leading receiver Stanley Morgan has 690 yards. Ozigbo, the leading rusher, has 431 yards. If this holds true through the end of the season, when was the last time the leading receiver had more yards than the leading rusher at Nebraska for the entire season? Has this ever happened before??  

• Plus1 1

I don't think having a WR with more yards than an RB is inherently a problem, but definitely a shift from the previous philosophy. Surprisingly never happened with Callahan, although you can give him some of the credit for it happening in '08 as well. Obviously more likely to happen with RB rotations, but in this case the run game just sucks as well.

In 2015 the top 4 rushers had 765, 444, 400, and 265 yards. In 2008 they had 803, 517, 467, and 258 yards. So 1,800-2,000 between the top 4 rushers, which I would be fine with. This year it's 431, 299, 259, 65. We do have 3 games left (and likely no bowl game, where the other years did have to boost the stats), but we're not running for 800 yards in the next 3 games anyway. It's not the rotation, it's just a pathetic running game.

5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't think having a WR with more yards than an RB is inherently a problem, but definitely a shift from the previous philosophy. Surprisingly never happened with Callahan, although you can give him some of the credit for it happening in '08 as well. Obviously more likely to happen with RB rotations, but in this case the run game just sucks as well.

In 2015 the top 4 rushers had 765, 444, 400, and 265 yards. In 2008 they had 803, 517, 467, and 258 yards. So 1,800-2,000 between the top 4 rushers, which I would be fine with. This year it's 431, 299, 259, 65. We do have 3 games left (and likely no bowl game, where the other years did have to boost the stats), but we're not running for 800 yards in the next 3 games anyway. It's not the rotation, it's just a pathetic running game.

In a vacuum, I agree that having a WR with more yards than a RB is not an indictment on the OC.  I am sure there are a lot of great offenses that spread the carries to the QB and 2-3 RB's, and still get a lot of rushing yards, and that same offense may have 1 or 2 stud WR's who get a ton of yards.

It's just something that hasn't happened very often at NU, and like you point out, this year is mainly due to the running game being a complete joke.

11 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Our team is averaging 3.8 ypc - that's the problem. Would be the lowest since 2005. I don't want to give this staff a pass, but Bryant getting hurt was a major loss. 

"His knee is older than his age," Riley said. "We have from the beginning of camp managed Tre in a way we don't overwork him."  Bryant ran 31 times for a career-high 192 yards in the opener against Arkansas State , and Riley said in retrospect that number of carries "might be at the high end of what he should do."

3 minutes ago, worldsworstoutdoorsman said:

"His knee is older than his age," Riley said. "We have from the beginning of camp managed Tre in a way we don't overwork him."  Bryant ran 31 times for a career-high 192 yards in the opener against Arkansas State , and Riley said in retrospect that number of carries "might be at the high end of what he should do."

Yeah I'm aware. They over worked him when knowing not to. Just stating that he was productive for us before he went down. I think his skills made the offensive line look respectable 

21 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Through 9 games the leading receiver Stanley Morgan has 690 yards. Ozigbo, the leading rusher, has 431 yards. If this holds true through the end of the season, when was the last time the leading receiver had more yards than the leading rusher at Nebraska for the entire season? Has this ever happened before??  

The second and third leading receivers also have more yards than the leading rusher.  Spielman has 593 and Pierson-El has 467.

Edited by worldsworstoutdoorsman
12 minutes ago, It'sNotAFakeID said:

When was the last time Nebraska had a 1000 yard rusher?

Ameer did it 3 times, 2012, 2013, and 2014.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ameer-abdullah-1.html

Rex did it in 2011 and was close in 2010.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/rex-burkhead-1.html

Roy Helu, Jr. did it in 2009 and 2010.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/roy-helu-jr-1.html

Taylor Martinez did it in 2012, and was close in 2010 and 2011.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/taylor-martinez-1.html

The running game wasn't an issue under Bo/Beck.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 3