Gary Patterson

jessica0

15 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

When it comes down to sports, it's mainly about the wins & losses. It goes for the players, coaches, and fans.  While many of us will always support the team and the players, we also want "our teams" to win.  If you think Nebraska fans are different, you are fooling yourself.  Yes, Tom Osborne wrote a book titled "More Than Winning" in 1985, but that book is a lot easier to write coming from a football coach who won National Championships as an assistant coach, and had spent the last 10 years as a fairly successful football coach at Nebraska, and had just missed out on the National Championship in 1981, 1982, and 1983.  It's also a lot easier to clap for the other team when they are walking off the field at Memorial Stadium dejected after losing a game.  Nebraskans were able to say they cared about more than just wins or losses when NU had the highest win percentage in college football for over 30 years (after 1970).

I agree. I wish it weren't true, though. We haven't been able to take pride in elite football teams for some time but the respect everyone has for Husker fans is near universal. That's precious, and not something that should be taken for granted. That reputation, it's something we have to live up to if we want to keep it. 

If we sell out for winning, we might find the same results that most schools that do so find: usually, not very good ones anyways. It turns out that eliteness is hard to catch in a bottle.

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Looking at it from a different perspective, would Nebraska fans/administration accepted Patterson having 2 losing seasons like he does at TCU since they joined the Big 12?

He would have been fired along with the AD that brought him here.

15 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

Looking at it from a different perspective, would Nebraska fans/administration accepted Patterson having 2 losing seasons like he does at TCU since they joined the Big 12?

All things being equal with him being here, absolutely. 

5 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Husker fans are respected because most of us are not a$$hole$ towards other teams or their fans.

Yep, Husker fans are just condescending "nice guys" who like to tell people how great NU has been in the past 50 years and they need to "educate" other fans on how great the Nebraska fan base is.

Just now, Cdog923 said:

All things being equal with him being here, absolutely. 

All things being equal, Nebraska fans would accept 2 losing seasons from Patterson?

I don't buy it.  

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep, Husker fans are just condescending "nice guys" who like to tell people how great NU has been in the past 50 years and they need to "educate" other fans on how great the Nebraska fan base is.

We're nice to other fans, teams, and each other.  But we loathe the coaches

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

At the time of Pelini's hiring, I don't think there were too many people who were "against the hire".  He was the hottest coordinator in the country, leading LSU's defense as they won the national championship.  Also, while Patterson had been doing a very good job at TCU, taking over the program from Dennis Franchione (remember, he was the one who led the TCU rebirth), this was Patterson was taking TCU to BCS bowl games as part of the Mountain West, and getting TCU into the Big 12.  While Patterson has become one of the best coaches in the country over the last decade, it wasn't apparent that he would hit the heights he was going to at TCU.

I was against it because I thought we should be getting a seasoned head coach (like Patterson or Johnson at the time - wasn't too impressed with Grobe).  I thought we should grab up Charlie Strong if we were going to get a DC from the SEC and felt it was stupid to value a Husker connection to the extent we did.  With that said, I supported Bo as our head coach and only started to get disappointed when we lost to UCLA.  Mora was in his first season and his team looked better than Bo's in what was his fifth.  p.s. - I wonder how diminished our bargaining power is now relative to then.

Edited by beorach
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I agree. I wish it weren't true, though. We haven't been able to take pride in elite football teams for some time but the respect everyone has for Husker fans is near universal. That's precious, and not something that should be taken for granted. That reputation, it's something we have to live up to if we want to keep it. 

If we sell out for winning, we might find the same results that most schools that do so find: usually, not very good ones anyways. It turns out that eliteness is hard to catch in a bottle.

NU fans haven't always been "respected" as you think.  NU fans have chanted "Sal is dead, Go Big Red!" at CU.  NU fans have thrown frozen oranges on the field against Oklahoma (a number of times).  Nebraska fans HATED Oklahoma in the 70s and 80s.  It didn't become a "respected rivalry" until NU started winning regularly in the 90s, and OU sucked during that decade.  NU fans have mainly started talking up how "respected we are" because NU isn't winning at the same clip we were in the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  NU fans can't boast about a winning program, so NU fans start to boast about "intangible things".  It's very similar how people like to boast about Mike Riley's intangibles, when his team struggles in the wins and losses department.

Edited by ColoradoHusk
  • Plus1 3