Gary Patterson

jessica0

Like I pointed out in the Diaco thread, Osborne was a hell of a head coach...but did a poor job of setting us up for future success by making some truly bone-headed coaching hires. Patterson would have been a thousand times better than Pelini, but Osborne was fixated on Pelini. As long as we’re reminiscing, if we had done a legitimate national search in 1998 for a head coach, how many better candidates were out there than Frank “I define mediocre” Solich?

• Plus1 1

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

Don't get me wrong.  I, personally would accept it.  I can just imagine the number of new posters creating threads on this board during the 4-8 season 5 years in.

That's a good point.

It'd be good for the board's numbers, though. 

4 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Like I pointed out in the Diaco thread, Osborne was a hell of a head coach...but did a poor job of setting us up for future success by making some truly bone-headed coaching hires. Patterson would have been a thousand times better than Pelini, but Osborne was fixated on Pelini. As long as we’re reminiscing, if we had done a legitimate national search in 1998 for a head coach, how many better candidates were out there than Frank “I define mediocre” Solich?

Bob Stoops

Gary Patterson

Nick Saban

Mark Richt

Frank Beamer

Someone from Wisconsin

Edited by StPaulHusker
  • Plus1 2

9 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

if we had done a legitimate national search in 1998 for a head coach, how many better candidates were out there than Frank “I define mediocre” Solich?

I don't know that I'd go that far.  I don't think Frank was cut out for the job but am sure he gave it all he had while some coaches on his staff were effectively retired in place.

1 hour ago, zoogs said:

I agree. I wish it weren't true, though. We haven't been able to take pride in elite football teams for some time but the respect everyone has for Husker fans is near universal. That's precious, and not something that should be taken for granted. That reputation, it's something we have to live up to if we want to keep it. 

If we sell out for winning, we might find the same results that most schools that do so find: usually, not very good ones anyways. It turns out that eliteness is hard to catch in a bottle.

You might think that Nebraska isn't all about winning, but the patch on the football team's jersey doesn't say "Nebraska football, we have everyone's respect."

0001516_nebraska-80-replica-football-jer

• Plus1 2

13 minutes ago, tfree32 said:

Why?  Because we did such a bang up job in 03' and 07'?  From everything I've ever been told about then when I was more connected with the program, there wasn't going to be a legitimate national search.  Byrne wanted to offer the job to Bob Stoops, TO pulled rank, and the rest is history.  We all know Stoops went on to have a great career at OU.  However, I have always wondered if he'd have been successful here.  The reason Bob Stoops left KState and Snyder for the exact same job at Florida and Spurrier was because he hated the long hours Snyder expected out of his assistants.  At Florida, the hours were short and the tee times were a many.  While his work ethic worked at OU with talent rich Texas at his feet, I question if it would have worked here.  I've always felt a coach like Snyder would have far better success here than a coach like Spurrier.   

That's interesting about BS, Junior.  I have wondered about someone like Snyder, too.  That would have been the Riley hire that made sense (a coach who has done more with less).  Would the fanbase accept an old enemy?  What about the mullet that is Gundy?  ;)  p.s. - I'd like to think we'd insist on a new defensive staff in that circumstance, of course.

Edited by beorach