Louis CK

A bombshell dropped about Louis:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/roseanne-barr-calls-out-louis-ck-ive-heard-so-many-stories

Oh, that was from June 2016.

The new story: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/09/arts/television/louis-ck-sexual-misconduct.html?_r=0

The crazy thing is this was not a secret. Gawker first ran the story now reported in the Times in 2012, without naming him, but it was widely known that it was about him. They confirmed that it was about him in 2015. Within the industry, this was known. And yet Louis was about to release a movie and stump for it on The Late Show until both were canceled. 

It makes me wonder about the football coaches, including some here in Nebraska's past, that we've all heard vague but positively wild rumors about. 

Relevant tweet:

Edited by zoogs

14 hours ago, El Diaco said:

Sick bastard, who does that? I guess I’ve heard of worse sexual assaults but dang that guy needs some help. I’m really beginning to think anybody who spends much time at all in that Hollywood cesspool doesn’t stand a chance at being normal.

We've seen this from media figures and politicians just in the past few months. It's about power. Why is the interpretation of this "Hollywood problems"? 

Louis does say a lot of the 'right' things in that statement. It suggests, perhaps unsurprisingly, that he knew what was 'right' all along. However, he chose to go the 'wrong' route up until the NYT story broke and the career he is graciously putting on pause was forcibly taken from him.

So that's also an interesting choice, and one he's not really owning up to.

I am profoundly disappointed in Louis. I have been a fan for a long time, and went to his show in Omaha last year. He always seemed like a guy who told hard truths that nobody else would. I admire a lot of his quotes and insight into human activities he's said over the years.

It's clear he knew he was doing something wrong. It's clear his apology is only happening because it's been forced on him. He could continue to deny it - there were no witnesses, it would be he said/she said, so at least saying "all these stories are true" may help the women start to work past this. 

It's just awful when people you respect have secretly been very bad.

Bill Cosby was "America's Dad."  Turns out he was a rapist.

Lawrence Phillips was (maybe) the best running back in Nebraska history. Turns out he was a felon who assaulted people.

Louis CK was a fantastic comedian. Turns out he sexually assaulted several women.

You're left wondering what to do about the time before you knew what these people did.  Do you bury them and forget you ever loved their work? I grew up listening to Bill Cosby records. I remember those jokes - they were great.  But how do you listen to that now without thinking about the women he's raped? 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, zoogs said:

We've seen this from media figures and politicians just in the past few months. It's about power. Why is the interpretation of this "Hollywood problems"? 

People in power have been using that power for their own benefit (especially sexual) since the dawn of time.  It goes for both men and women (although you see fewer women in power).  It goes beyond media figures, actors, politicians, etc.  If you go back to cavemen days, the "leader of the pack" was probably having sex with all of the women in that pack.  I am not defending these actions, but it's not a shock that these types of things happen.

• Plus1 1

We truly do live in an era of amazement.  We elect a President who is a sexual predator himself.  He's caught on tape bragging about it.  There was multiple accusations of it...even with minors...before the election.

Now, less than a year later, thanks to a very strong woman who came public about a man in Hollywood, we have an explosion of accusations flying around and men being exposed.

Most of these have been in the entertainment business.  I know it happens or can happen in any work place anywhere, but, I believe the entertainment business has to completely be infested with guys like this.

It's going to be interesting to see long term how this changes the entertainment industry.  I don't see how it can't.  The women in the industry are empowered by this and I would think they are not going to let loose of that power now.  

One strange side result I'm interested in seeing.......I wonder if hollywood marriages will tend to last longer if the men aren't allowed to be slobbering pigs without being exposed.

I know it happens or can happen in any work place anywhere, but, I believe the entertainment business has to completely be infested with guys like this.

I think it's abundantly clear that this happens everywhere. However, there are powerful, recognized women in media who have been willing to go public, and that's what has finally gotten the ball rolling. Nobody likes or enjoys coming forward. Big name actors had an ability to do this that others do not share. It costs a lot more to you when you aren't a well known actor like Rose McGowan (among others), which isn't to diminish at all her bravery. 

3 hours ago, zoogs said:

I'm not claiming it's exclusive to Hollywood, just that the incidence in the Hollywood/entertainment industry seems to be extremely high. Possibly it's that high throughout society and we just don't notice when it's not celebrity. But I will stand by calling Hollywood a cesspool of thus type of rot. And I have no problem at all including Washington or politics or the media industry with that assessment. Bunch of sex preoccupied sickos IMO.

Yeah, I've seen that discussed, too -- and the point I wanted to make is that it's not incidence we are observing, but publicized incidence. Usually, victims do not come forward or are ignored when they do (take the open secret about Louis CK, for example. Publicly suggested in detail and in no uncertain terms. Louis was allowed to kept on because collectively we shrugged at it). It often takes a position of strength to begin with. If you're a famous pop star like Taylor Swift, for example. Or a multiple gold medal-winning Olympic gymnast like Aly Raisman. (Shall we suggest a similar cesspool in athletics, yet?)

In general, I think it is a mistake to look at these events and sweep them away as belonging to an utterly foreign set of people. This happens all around us, to people you know and to people I know. Read this from Aziz Ansari, for example. This is from 2015. He's talking about polling an audience at a show. 

If you want to talk about "sex preoccupied sickos", take a scroll through our Daily Skin forum. 

Edited by zoogs