Turn Around - How long?

22 minutes ago, moveitforward said:

Top athletes do not want to lose - regardless of who is coaching. Our turnaround will require much more than the next coach willing to jump on the merry-go-round.

You are right, it has nothing to do with game planning, play calling, and instilling in kids the desire to be better than they ever thought possible.

You just don't understand sports today or athletes in general and couldn't be more uninformed on this matter.

8 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

You are right, it has nothing to do with game planning, play calling, and instilling in kids the desire to be better than they ever thought possible.

You just don't understand sports today or athletes in general and couldn't be more uninformed on this matter.

Wow, don’t even know where to begin with that one. I will say, though, I don’t live in the past.

After Bo was fired I would not have been shocked to see a number of stumbles in the first few years. That remains true today. Let's not put a number on "how long". I do think we have some nice things going on here with the young talent, but it's really hard to project across new systems, with yet-unknown attrition, etc.

Edited by zoogs

I feel whoever the new coach is, is going to have a rough first year. The 2018 schedule is a beast. We may see progress in the way we play, but the record will probably be in the range of 4-6 wins. I believe we have to give the next guy at least 4-5 years to get us back to competing for B1G titles.

1 hour ago, timtim1981 said:

You may never Know, because of all the pressure that is put on a coach at Nebraska to win. Look at Solich and Poleni, they were holding a steady course but the expectations placed on the program from the fan base was way too high. The way Nebraska goes through coaches don't expect top level coaches to be lining up to get the job unless they are just wanting to pad their retirement plans. Might be that Nebraska's glory days are gone for good. Also a classless move calling time-out with less than 20 seconds left to play.

Think you are selling NU short here - A top coach will be coming and a young QB had a chance to score a TD in live action.  There are lot's of learning opportunities during a game no matter what the score is.

1 hour ago, billdozer15 said:

The Riley experiment buried us. It's going to take a minimum of 5 years to recover and in the back of my mind we may never recover from this one. Apathy has set in and we have lost everything we once stood for which took decades to build. 

OU says hello and there is no way we will be dead - NU is well known for its history and it's always easier to regain something that you have had compared to someone that never had it.

Edited by GBRFAN
Just now, billdozer15 said:

We are going to find out......

My post was being edited as you replied (not that it matters) we will see and it will be an interesting ride.  No matter what percentage of our fan base stops coming to games whether it is 1% or 20% we will still have something that most programs don't - it is only a matter of time before we get the right staff on board and we will see results.  To what level? - only time will tell

the lines are not being (and have not been) developed properly. Someone needs to step in and completely re-boot the way we develop our lineman and the way they play. THAT, alone, is probably gonna be a 3 year process, minimum, just to get the lines to be "competitive" at a B1G level; probably need another 2 years or so to get a dominant line in B1G play.

I say the 'turnaround' is 3 years (since we have pieces in place; lines just need to be scraped, then re-built); but it'll take at least 5 years to become dominant, if we were to ever get to that point.

37 minutes ago, bbaum11 said:

I feel whoever the new coach is, is going to have a rough first year. The 2018 schedule is a beast. We may see progress in the way we play, but the record will probably be in the range of 4-6 wins. I believe we have to give the next guy at least 4-5 years to get us back to competing for B1G titles.

Sucking this bad might be  blessing for Frost or the who ever the next coach is.  Our expectations have been battered so badly that any sign of improvement, even if it is just effort and attitude, will be a positive.  Taking over if this team had somehow managed to go 7-5 or 8-4 would be brutal.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

OU says hello and there is no way we will be dead - NU is well known for its history and it's always easier to regain something that you have had compared to someone that never had it.

Easier than if you never had history yes. People keep bringing up OU but they border one of the top 2 states in the country for talent. That is very different than bordering KS, IA, SD and WY.

There is a very good chance we are already dead, especially if we fail another hire. 

Hit the hire out of the park though...different story.