Turn Around - How long?

3 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

The fans didn't want to give Osborne plenty of time simply because he couldn't beat Oklahoma. I don't hold out any hope for the fans or this board being any more patient with The Prodigal Son than they have been with Riley if Frost isn't winning right out of the gate.

Yep.  The State of the Program when Osborne took over is almost identical to what it is now.

• Plus1 1

These coaches produced 9 wins and about as close to a 10th as you can come in the OT thriller vs the division champ last year.

New QB this year, a lot of freshman playing all over the field.  All will be vastly improved next year.  9 wins should be the bare minimum otherwise we've gone backwards and hired a less competent coach.

On 11/12/2017 at 2:16 PM, jessica0 said:

IMO, what is important in the first year is to gain control of the culture, teach the kids what good football is, and recruit to the system and not let star ratings dictate who starts when they get to campus. 

Pretty much agree with this.  Year 1 is setting the culture and system.  I actually don't think we'll lose many of the current recruits on offense.  With Frost you get to still play at Nebraska with a major upgrade on offense.  From what I know about Chinander he likes to attack so I want recruits to fit that defensive system and bring some swagger back to the Blackshirts.  My biggest concern is we are leaving the OL and DL cupboard bare with really no depth in recruiting these positions right now for 2018.  That is going to take some fixing.  We need to build the trenches and I think Frost is smart enough to know that...if you can't dominate the LOS in the BIG, then you can't play for all the marbles.  This isn't the Pac 12 or Big 12.  I'd be looking for some stud OL and RB's to start to create that identity. Need to desperately find some playmakers on defense.  Parsons would be a great fit.      

Edited by chamrocck

2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

These coaches produced 9 wins and about as close to a 10th as you can come in the OT thriller vs the division champ last year.

New QB this year, a lot of freshman playing all over the field.  All will be vastly improved next year.  9 wins should be the bare minimum otherwise we've gone backwards and hired a less competent coach.

9 wins with a road schedule of at Michigan, at Wisconsin, at NW, at Iowa, at Ohio State. Michigan State at home.

1st year coach with new schemes on both sides. I think 9 wins coming of a 4-8 season is unlikely. Better product yes, 9+ wins asking a lot. 

The S&C needs to be revamped as well. 

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

Nah. The only reason freshman played is because they were promised (Lamar Jackson) or somebody got injured.  Riley's staff has created a culture of softness around the program (See Aarom Semm's anecdote on Cav and Farmer), and lack of accountability. They took a steady program, and made it worse. Plus, you have to counteract all of the behind the scenes garbage that Eichorst was responsible for.

Next year truly is a year zero situation, and whoever takes over has to create a culture of toughness.

• Plus1 3

If SF or whoever the next coach is goes 7-5 next year he will probably be B1G coach of the year.  I can't believe all the people on this thread that think 9-3 or 10-2.  Who is Nebraska for sure going to beat next year out of Ohio St., Michigan, Wisonsin, Michigan St, and Iowa?  Tell me the sure wins in that group.  Now throw in NW and Minnesota that will be better next year.  The lack of respect for other programs by Nebraska fans in maddening to me.  

It is not just about a better coach, there is a lot wrong with this team.  The whole culture has to be changed.  I would be completely happy with a bowl game and playing hard all year.  

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, NUinID said:

If SF or whoever the next coach is goes 7-5 next year he will probably be B1G coach of the year.  I can't believe all the people on this thread that think 9-3 or 10-2.  Who is Nebraska for sure going to beat next year out of Ohio St., Michigan, Wisonsin, Michigan St, and Iowa?  Tell me the sure wins in that group.  Now throw in NW and Minnesota that will be better next year.  The lack of respect for other programs by Nebraska fans in maddening to me.  

It is not just about a better coach, there is a lot wrong with this team.  The whole culture has to be changed.  I would be completely happy with a bowl game and playing hard all year.  

I think Michigan State and Iowa are definitely winnable.  They have been much better than NU as of late, but let's not act like they are world beaters.  

9 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

That's what happened when NU hired Riley, and a lot of people seemed to give Riley a free pass in his first year.  Many of the same people wanted to give Riley a pass on this year.

• Plus1 3