Turn Around - How long?

12 minutes ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

MY comment had nothing to do with it. Any association is manufactured by you.

You might not want it to.  But when you're talking about how much time Frost - or whoever the next coach is - will be given, the current state of the program as everything to do with that.

You compared it to Osborne taking over.  There is literally no comparison other than they are both Nebraska coaching jobs.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker_Bohunk said:

No, I didn't. Again, that's you manufacturing what you want to see.

I've said all I have to say on this.

On 11/13/2017 at 1:31 PM, Husker_Bohunk said:

The fans didn't want to give Osborne plenty of time simply because he couldn't beat Oklahoma. I don't hold out any hope for the fans or this board being any more patient with The Prodigal Son than they have been with Riley if Frost isn't winning right out of the gate.

:dunno

• Plus1 2

The right coach can take a losing program, and have a quick turnaround. Jason Peter was
correct when he said their was no accountability on the team.

Submitted for your approval (I love my Twilight Zone)

Head coach of Arkansas Lou Holtz decided to suspend 3 players, (2 starters) before the 1977 Orange
Bowl against #2 Oklahoma, African-American players wanted to boycott playing . Gov. Bill Clinton pleaded

with Holtz to reconsider. Arkansas won as a large dog.

No. Carolina St. in 1971  went 3-8
1972 first year coach Holtz coached them to 8-3-1, took them to and won Peach Bowl vs. West Virginia

Arkansas in 1977  went 5-5-1
1978  first year coach Holtz went to 10-1, took them to and won Orange Bowl vs. #2 Oklahoma

Minnesota in 1983 went 1-10
1984  first year coach Holtz went 4-7, in second year, 1985, went 7-5 and won Independence Bowl

Notre Dame in 1985 went 5-6
1986 first year coach Holtz went 5-6, in second year 1987 went 8-4, going to Cotton Bowl

South Carolina in 1998 went 1-10
1999 first year coach Holtz went 0-11, second year 2000, went 8-4 going to Outback Bowl, beating Ohio St.

14 hours ago, Saunders said:

Nah. The only reason freshman played is because they were promised (Lamar Jackson) or somebody got injured.  Riley's staff has created a culture of softness around the program (See Aarom Semm's anecdote on Cav and Farmer), and lack of accountability. They took a steady program, and made it worse. Plus, you have to counteract all of the behind the scenes garbage that Eichorst was responsible for.

Next year truly is a year zero situation, and whoever takes over has to create a culture of toughness.

Ehh, not buying it.  Cav's put several offensive linemen in the league who were low rated recruits coming into college.  Either Oregon State had more talent yet vastly underrated, or Cav knows what he's doing.

I watched on youtube MR's OSU team beat Wisconsin and do it by being more physical, running the ball better, and playing tougher defense.  If that's the kind of "soft culture" he builds then we need more of it around here. 

I'm resigned to the fact this fan base is too emotionally invested in Husker football to ever allow a coach to come here and build a winner before he's run out of town during the building process.  I've read on this board alone dozens of false rumors, dozens of "mark my words this will happen" only to find out later the rumors weren't true, and the things that were promised to happen by posters claiming to have inside info, didn't happen.   That really leaves only one logical possibility, there are either Husker fans willing to actively attempt to undermine their own team and coaching staff during a season, or people pretending to be Husker fans who are doing it.  Either way, why moderators are willing to let so many unsubstantiated claims, rumors, and false "inside scoops" go unchallenged is beyond me. 

I read the new board rules that were posted recently and think there's room for one more that would make this board a better place.  Require anyone who wants to post alleged "inside info" , or rumors to sign their real and verified name to the post when they do it. 

2 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

Ehh, not buying it.  Cav's put several offensive linemen in the league who were low rated recruits coming into college.  Either Oregon State had more talent yet vastly underrated, or Cav knows what he's doing.

I watched on youtube MR's OSU team beat Wisconsin and do it by being more physical, running the ball better, and playing tougher defense.  If that's the kind of "soft culture" he builds then we need more of it around here. 

I'm resigned to the fact this fan base is too emotionally invested in Husker football to ever allow a coach to come here and build a winner before he's run out of town during the building process.  I've read on this board alone dozens of false rumors, dozens of "mark my words this will happen" only to find out later the rumors weren't true, and the things that were promised to happen by posters claiming to have inside info, didn't happen.   That really leaves only one logical possibility, there are either Husker fans willing to actively attempt to undermine their own team and coaching staff during a season, or people pretending to be Husker fans who are doing it.  Either way, why moderators are willing to let so many unsubstantiated claims, rumors, and false "inside scoops" go unchallenged is beyond me. 

I read the new board rules that were posted recently and think there's room for one more that would make this board a better place.  Require anyone who wants to post alleged "inside info" , or rumors to sign their real and verified name to the post when they do it. 

Not at Nebraska, and that's all I care about.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

So, why hasn't Cav been able to do that here I wonder?  He's been here all three years, seems like long enough to establish his mark on the offensive line by now.  Interesting input, thanks

Cav and Riley may have built a tough culture at Oregon State, and they did have some successful years of running the ball and winning 9-10 games a season. However, I don’t really care what they did there, nearly a decade ago.

I have seen 36 games at NU where the offensive line play has been very poor overall, the running game hasn’t been effective, and the team has played soft. That’s what Riley and his stuff have done at NU, and that’s a big reason they have been so unsuccessful at NU. 

• Plus1 3
42 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

During Riley's second stint they sent 4 total OL to the draft in twelve years. 0 in the final five years.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Cav and Riley may have built a tough culture at Oregon State, and they did have some successful years of running the ball and winning 9-10 games a season. However, I don’t really care what they did there, nearly a decade ago.

I have seen 36 games at NU where the offensive line play has been very poor overall, the running game hasn’t been effective, and the team has played soft. That’s what Riley and his stuff have done at NU, and that’s a big reason they have been so unsuccessful at NU. 

Their win over Wisconsin was only 5 years ago. 

I understand your concern with the lack of success this season and you're obviously not alone.  We all see the insufficient play at times and suffer the pain of losses.  It's so easy out of anger and frustration to want to place blame on someone and the coaches are the easiest place to point the finger.  In some cases that may even be the right place to point the finger.  But it's lazy to immediately conclude it has to be coaching without knowing a lot more than the vast majority of fans know.  I've given several examples similar to this season where coaches at other programs in their third year did worse.  Fans of those schools were convinced the coaching was the problem.  In those examples the same coaches came back and in year four things clicked, you couldn't tell it was mostly the same players and team and their seasons blasted off  9 wins or more. 

All I'm saying is, while it can appear so crystal clear right now, the difference between 4 wins and 9 wins can be a much smaller margin that what it appears.  Sometimes you're a lot closer to success than you'd ever dare to imagine even though it can feel or seem like you're so far away.

5 minutes ago, LaunchCode said:

I understand your concern with the lack of success this season and you're obviously not alone.  We all see the insufficient play at times and suffer the pain of losses.  It's so easy out of anger and frustration to want to place blame on someone and the coaches are the easiest place to point the finger.  In some cases that may even be the right place to point the finger.  But it's lazy to immediately conclude it has to be coaching without knowing a lot more than the vast majority of fans know.  I've given several examples similar to this season where coaches at other programs in their third year did worse.  Fans of those schools were convinced the coaching was the problem.  In those examples the same coaches came back and in year four things clicked, you couldn't tell it was mostly the same players and team and their seasons blasted off  9 wins or more. 

All I'm saying is, while it can appear so crystal clear right now, the difference between 4 wins and 9 wins can be a much smaller margin that what it appears.  Sometimes you're a lot closer to success than you'd ever dare to imagine even though it can feel or seem like you're so far away.

The guy isn't that good of a coach. I mean, if you have to go back to a Wisconsin win 5 years ago while he was at Oregon State, you aren't making a point. 

• Plus1 4
2 hours ago, LaunchCode said:

AffectionateGleefulHarborporpoise-max-1mb.gif

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, LaunchCode said:

You are living in Banana land if you think there is a small margin between this team winning 4 games or winning 9.  This isn't Mike Riley year 1 with heart breaking losses at the end of the game.  This is getting taken behind the woodshed and physically beaten up type losses at the hands of bad teams.  Riley took over a program that had won 9 games 7 straight years in a row.  I was in the camp that anyone could win 9 games at Nebraska, but ole Hip Hip Hooray Mike proved that incorrect.  I'm all for whomever we bring in next getting more than 3 years to build back up the program no matter what but a 61 year old .500 coach isn't going to get it done here.  He's a turd that needs to be flushed.

• Plus1 2