What did we learn?....Minnesota

13 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

With some of those defensive series, I think we just ran a break defense. There was no bend, we just broke. 

Some?  They scored on all but one drive.  11 of our guys are on the field when the other team is on offense.  We do not have a defense.  Am I the only one seeing this?

• Plus1 1

Learned that some people, despite 6 weeks of bashing the coaching staff and the team's record, like to pretend the team should still come out and storm Minnesota- as if the players don't read and hear all of it.  I watched with very little interest and wasn't a bit surprised by any of it.  Nor do I believe there's a single thing to be learned from dissecting the game.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Some?  They scored on all but one drive.  11 of our guys are on the field when the other team is on offense.  We do not have a defense.  Am I the only one seeing this?

Ok, most. They only two drives with more than 10 plays. The rest, there was no resistance against them, no bend. We just broke. I have no idea how many chunk plays they had.

17 minutes ago, jsneb83 said:

Ok, most. They only two drives with more than 10 plays. The rest, there was no resistance against them, no bend. We just broke. I have no idea how many chunk plays they had.

When your defense is giving up scores on almost every drive it's does nothing to help you win field position.  It doesn't matter much how many plays the opponent takes to score.  If we played no defense and let them score on the first play of every drive the result would be the same.  Since there would be more possessions for each team the score would be 80 - 35, but we were blown out anyway.  We essentially have no defense.

1 hour ago, Kernal said:

Learned that some people, despite 6 weeks of bashing the coaching staff and the team's record, like to pretend the team should still come out and storm Minnesota- as if the players don't read and hear all of it.  I watched with very little interest and wasn't a bit surprised by any of it. 

Nebraska has a three game stretch against teams similar in performance to them, with small point spreads. 

1 point win

OT loss

Fall off a cliff

No one should have been surprised.

What I Learned From the 54-21 Loss to Minnesota

- Football players must be put into a position to succeed by their coaches. The Nebraska coaches don't put their players in a position to succeed. 

- When a Defensive Coordinator goes to the airwaves and basically says his players aren't yet good enough to win, they won't win.

- When a quarterback is repeatedly hit by unblocked defenders, he may suffer an "impact migraine".

- When down by 33 points with under a minute to go, offensive linemen don't appreciate it when the head coach takes 3 time outs to prolong the misery.

- Despite being surrounded by others that have given up, it is possible for some to remain focused and driven (see also: J.D. Spielman).

- Being a huge fan of a team that is closing in on its worst record in 56 years absolutely sucks!