Mike Riley coins his own Husker epitaph

knapplc

I felt so much better about this program after 2015 and the bowl win.  Even though several games went wrong, we were finally on an upward trend instead of the stalemate purgatory.  No more blowouts, recruiting was going to be better, and all was good.

Then 2016 happened.  We were 7-0 and it didn't even feel good.  Then Wisconsin....then Ohio State.....then Iowa.  I didn't watch the bowl game, hoenstly forgot it was on and had to work.  My interest was at a low it hadn't been at in a long long time.

Then this year.  I again convinced myself that we had made the right adjustments.  Then we started playing football and I immediately lost most of my optimism...again.  I shoved it down, wins a win.  Then we lost to Oregon.  Then to NIU.  That's when I gave up, it was too much.  Since then it's just gotten worse and worse every week.

I don't know who our next coach will be, I just know it needs to be a quality hire we can all be proud of.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, Redux said:

I felt so much better about this program after 2015 and the bowl win.  Even though several games went wrong, we were finally on an upward trend instead of the stalemate purgatory.  No more blowouts, recruiting was going to be better, and all was good.

Then 2016 happened.  We were 7-0 and it didn't even feel good.  Then Wisconsin....then Ohio State.....then Iowa.  I didn't watch the bowl game, hoenstly forgot it was on and had to work.  My interest was at a low it hadn't been at in a long long time.

Then this year.  I again convinced myself that we had made the right adjustments.  Then we started playing football and I immediately lost most of my optimism...again.  I shoved it down, wins a win.  Then we lost to Oregon.  Then to NIU.  That's when I gave up, it was too much.  Since then it's just gotten worse and worse every week.

I don't know who our next coach will be, I just know it needs to be a quality hire we can all be proud of.

don't worry, seems 90% of this board was duped- not sure how because the evidence was always there from the start- Riley was and is exactly who we got - all the hoping and emotional bluster in the world doesn't change the fact that he is a loser. predictable

3 minutes ago, Whistlepig said:

don't worry, seems 90% of this board was duped- not sure how because the evidence was always there from the start- Riley was and is exactly who we got - all the hoping and emotional bluster in the world doesn't change the fact that he is a loser. predictable

I wanted to give Riley a chance, took a wait and see attitude, and hoped the best because he's the NU coach. I doubt too many people were "duped" and thinking he was the next Saban.  My guess is that if you gave a list of potential candidates that were available, MR would have been low on the list among posters/fans. I didn't love the hire (at the time) and wont miss him when they can his rear on Friday. 

• Plus1 1

If 90% of the fans were duped, then so was the press and Riley’s coaching peers.

The narrative when he was hired was how Riley always did more with less and the majority opinion was that if he was put in a place that had all of the tools to win, then he would .   There was hardly a negative word to be said about him from anyone.  

We’ve seen the result, and yeah.. 

many were fooled.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, secretasianman said:

If 90% of the fans were duped, then so was the press and Riley’s coaching peers.

The narrative when he was hired was how Riley always did more with less and the majority opinion was that if he was put in a place that had all of the tools to win, then he would .   There was hardly a negative word to be said about him from anyone.  

many were fooled.

That was during his good years.  He quit during his final three years at OSU and it continued and DONU.  He needs to go.  Personally, I think he should be ashamed of the coaching job he's done at DONU.  He should have retired 6 years ago instead of just hanging around.

3 hours ago, secretasianman said:

many were fooled.

The "press" are mostly fools with an agenda or just plain ignorant of facts- i.e. the Nebraska Media on this hire and what about the National sports media that still believe we gave out county Scholarships in the 80-90s? Riley was a nice guy so what coach wouldn't go along with the "false" narrative- Erickson actually was the one that did more with less in beaverville- but that doesn't fit the narrative to point that out.

Regardless, I wasn't buying it because I knew the facts- not saying I didn't hope he'd win- but my hopes were a lot like playing the lottery, I knew they wouldn't come true- so it was only a matter of time, and in that respect, Riley exceeded my expectations, because I thought he could sell this snake-oil into 2018