Shatel: Parrella for Interim DC

Mavric

I do not think the bad D is Diaco's fault.  I do not think the players are trying.  

I do not think you have seen a group of players on the field committing 100%, and picking up what coach is laying down.

I think the fact that he is history here is a foregone conclusion.

But to me this is akin to hiring a mechanic to fix your car, then firing him just as he finishes laying out your disassembled heads on the bench..

How much upside does he have?  That is the only sticking point for me.  Maybe not as much as I would like. 

Edited by dvdcrr
  • Plus1 1

1 hour ago, dvdcrr said:

I do not think the bad D is Diaco's fault.  I do not think the players are trying.  

I do not think you have seen a group of players on the field committing 100%, and picking up what coach is laying down.

I think the fact that he is history here is a foregone conclusion.

But to me this is akin to hiring a mechanic to fix your car, then firing him just as he finishes laying out your disassembled heads on the bench..

How much upside does he have?  That is the only sticking point for me.  Maybe not as much as I would like. 

Don't fool yourself.  The D is absolutely Diaco's fault.  No fire in any of the players and the scheme is absolute garbage.  Both of those fall strongly on the DC... the 2nd more than the first, but they both are coach-able.  The fact he is not doing it is absolutely 100% his fault.  Not sure why people want to give him a pass.  He's not that good, he's never been that good, and here he is a just godawful.  Maybe he can tell his alien friends about it and get them to commiserate.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, zoogs said:

Why not Bray, the guy who turned down a DC job this past offseason and is likely to make the jump soon enough, somewhere?

Because he's not a Nebraska alum?

No.  Bray played for Riley and most of his coaching experience is under Riley so he is automatically disqualified.  No.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Pasadena Husker said:

no way.  Parrella is just as culpable as the rest of the coaches for this sh$$ty season.  he needs to be shown the door with the rest of them.  

Did you see the video of the interview of the dline after I believe the NW game? To me it was very telling. After the film study Dickoh graded them out well. They are are doing what the DC wants them to do. No DT is going to win every play. The D line is not the problem. They are playing the scam they are being told to do 

Thinking MR needs to stay for the last 2 games and Diaco needs to leave.  Somebody internally not named MR (probably bonds or green) needs to decide which defensive coach has the best chance to get the D players to play aggressively and go with it.   

Edited by GBRFAN

I would like someone calling defensive plays  to realize that sending more than 3 or 4 guys is allowed and encouraged sometimes.  These extra defenders rushing the QB sometimes results in sacks, which are negative yard plays.  I know it has been a while since we have seen those, but might be worth trying every now and then.  I've never coached football though so I guess sitting back in coverage and hoping the QB makes a bad throw or the WR drops it might be the better approach.  I think lost in the atrocious rushing defense yesterday is that we allowed a like a 30% passer to complete at like a 65% clip when Minnesota decided that running for 8 yards at a time wasn't getting it done.

Edited by dspanther05

I say send Riley and the 2 coordinators packing. Put Parella in charge of the D (with the stipulation that it needs to be sellout aggressive) and let Tanner call the offensive plays. Put some 4th string kid in charge of who plays. Tell them to have fun and do whatever the hell they want. Practice how they want, draw plays up in the dirt, Statue of Liberty, annexation of Puerto Rico, whatever. Dollars to donuts it would be a better result than what we’ve been getting. And more interesting to watch too.

Edited by Comfortably Numb
  • Plus1 2