Miami as a model moving forward

lo country

Miami is tangible proof that a program can be turned around in a couple of seasons. Jeff Kinney and others on this board are flat out wrong when they say it isn't possible at Nebraska. Frost turned an 0-12 UCF team into a top 20 team in 2 years for gods sake.

"We can't recruit to Nebraska location wise"
-Proven wrong by MR. It depends on who the coaches are

"It's not the 90's anymore"
-Tell that to Mark Richt's squad

"But the fans are undermining the players and the team by not always being supportive"
-The day we start celebrating/settling on mediocrity is the day you lose half the fan base. It comes with the territory of a blue blood program.

• Plus1 2

I think alot of people are overlooking the talent in South Florida, and how easy it is to recruit and have a team on the national picture in 2 years.  This is why I think if it took Richt 1 1/2 to get things rolling in the Hurricane nation, were at least a 3 year build.

Miami is in fertile recruiting ground.  Bama is in fertile recruiting ground.  Ohio St is the same.  USC..............Michigan and Nebraska would be in similiar situations.  I still think that Harbaugh will get things back into title contention soon.  NOt sure he can't beat Ohio St this season yet, and taht game matters more than winning the east!  

Takes time to implement a system, recruit players, and get those players to show what they have learned in practice.  2-3 years is the time frame for getting things going. Over an 18 year span, Miami had 4 different HC's win National titles.  So, tell me that things there are similiar to things here.  We can't find one guy after TO yet.  Can't compare us to Miami.

13 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think alot of people are overlooking the talent in South Florida, and how easy it is to recruit and have a team on the national picture in 2 years.  This is why I think if it took Richt 1 1/2 to get things rolling in the Hurricane nation, were at least a 3 year build.

Miami is in fertile recruiting ground.  Bama is in fertile recruiting ground.  Ohio St is the same.  USC..............Michigan and Nebraska would be in similiar situations.  I still think that Harbaugh will get things back into title contention soon.  NOt sure he can't beat Ohio St this season yet, and taht game matters more than winning the east!  

Takes time to implement a system, recruit players, and get those players to show what they have learned in practice.  2-3 years is the time frame for getting things going. Over an 18 year span, Miami had 4 different HC's win National titles.  So, tell me that things there are similiar to things here.  We can't find one guy after TO yet.  Can't compare us to Miami.

Meh...that Miami team isn't blowing people away with amazing athletes, they are just playing confident football and are not beating themselves. Good, sound football. 

1 hour ago, jessica0 said:

Meh...that Miami team isn't blowing people away with amazing athletes, they are just playing confident football and are not beating themselves. Good, sound football. 

Yes, in year 2 of Richt.  Notre Dame has basically pushed around every team they have played this season.  Miami just plainly beat them to the spot on the field last night.  I don't think Miami is national title material this season, but they are basically one game, Clemson, from playing for a spot in the playoffs.   They sure are closer than we are or a bunch of other teams out there.

On 11/11/2017 at 7:25 PM, lo country said:

Watching sports center this morning and they were talking about Miami returning to the top.  They talked a lot about the past culture of Miami.  The swag, the hard physical style of play and the championships.....They talked about Miami being down for years and finally appear to have rounded the corner with Richts.  They talked about him being a former Cane and understanding the culture.  Understood what they needed to do to become on top again.  

They interviewed Jimmy Johnson and asked if Miami was back.  He simply replied, they're not back until they're winning championships.  That's a winners mentality.  That's the Miami culture.  It used to be ours until Cally IMHO.  

Their path seems similar to ours.  A once dominant program that has met hard times.  Multiple coaches with the same results....

Richt comes in and in year 2, they're top 10, undefeated and should win their division and play Clemson for the ACC.....

Miami went out and went back to what they know and what they were.  A Miami kid who was part of the culture, good, bad and ugly. 

Richt also went out and actively recruited the great Miami players to come back and talk to and interact with the players.  Give them a front row seat to the greatness that was "The U"...

Seems  like NU has the opportunity to do the same in Frost.....

mods, feel free to merge if needed.  Just thought ESPN game day could've been talking about NU (hopefully they will be in year 2)

Turning a program around is quite a bit easier when the homegrown talent is plentiful.

The idea makes me sick.  We're still Nebraska.  Should we channel 2LC jumping around with gold chains on the sideline, too?  I get that we want to rationalize our SF fantasies but this is going too far.

Miami hadn't looked like they did last weekend all season.  The toughest teams they had played were Georgia Tech and Syracuse.  Notre Dame hasn't had a truly great power running game under Kelly but, now that he had given up OC duty, it appeared they might have one.  Wimbush is not a pocket passer, however, and ND's passing numbers have been pretty lousy.  There's not much for balance, in other words.  The bigger surprise was Elko's defense to me.

p.s. - The ND fans seem to think BK's fingerprints are all over that offensive playcalling.  The running plays were slow-developing ones that played to the strength of the Hurricons.  Take the first drive by ND for another kind of example.  They got to Miami's 35 before running three passing plays.  That does seem more like Kelly...

Edited by beorach
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 7:05 PM, zoogs said:

I guess Mark Richt would have been a pretty good hire.

I'm sure you were saying the same thing about Riley last year when we were in the top 10.  Shouldn't we let the season play out first?  Richt is similar to Mack Brown.  He gets great recruits and then does very little with them.  How do you suppose a coach like that would do at Nebraska?  It's one thing to post a losing season.  It's completely another doing it with a team composed of top 15 recruiting classes.