Non-Scott Frost Coaching Options

Roger Dorn

How do people feel about Strong?

I would have taken him in a heartbeat during our last coaching search.  I also think Texas was maybe an anomaly. He had a lot of work to clean up the culture that Mack Brown created, and I have a strong feeling that he was not wanted by a lot of people around the program(sound familiar?). He also had Shawn Watson which couldn't have helped. Having similar success to Frost this season even though he took over a much better team. 

3 minutes ago, Blackshirts014 said:

I would have taken him in a heartbeat during our last coaching search.  I also think Texas was maybe an anomaly. He had a lot of work to clean up the culture that Mack Brown created, and I have a strong feeling that he was not wanted by a lot of people around the program(sound familiar?). He also had Shawn Watson which couldn't have helped. Having similar success to Frost this season even though he took over a much better team. 

No. 

• Plus1 2

On 11/16/2017 at 0:01 AM, Big red surfers said:

Ken Niumatalolo.  Back to the 80/90's offense.

It's really not what we ran in the 80's and 90's, and I think a Georgia Tech-level of success is the best you can hope for with it. We ran power football with a solid dose of options thrown in, not mostly triple option with some gimmicks. The Navy/GT offense is a couple different formations, a few different motions, and a set of plays off of each motion. I think Niumatalolo (and Johnson) are good coaches, but you're settling for a peak of consistent 8-9 win seasons and occasionally contending for B1G West titles if we find a great QB. I will be very disappointed if that's the route we go, I just think it limits our ceiling.

I wouldn't mind Shaw or Patterson, but it seems like the Patterson ship has sailed - he has TCU positioned to be a perennial top-20 team with playoff potential. Why leave, especially when that means recruiting Texas would be much harder? I also don't know if we're considered a step up from Stanford, we'd have to pay Shaw a lot.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Blackshirts014 said:

As a USF alum, no....just no. He took over the most talented squad in team history and we've almost lost to Tulsa, Stony Brook and Tulane. He would bring Sterling Gilbert over as a playcaller who is just as bad as Langsdorf

• Plus1 3

There are no other options, it must be Scott Frost.  

However, I'm almost to the point where I would rather just grab an option guy and go back to the good old days.  Niumatalolo or Johnson type, with Paul Johnson being probably too old.  If we are going to be mediocre, I wouldn't be opposed to going back to the good ole days.  It is at least fun to watch and something different rather than be a mediocre spread team. 

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, famoustitles said:

Not a coach I want now but Will Healy - Austin Peay coach will be a hot commodity in a couple years. Took over in ‘16 and record isn’t great now but team plays well and trending in right direction. 

Austin Peay records

’12 2-9

’13 0-12

’14 1-11

’15 0-11

’16 0-11

’17 7-4

• Plus1 1