Tenn fires coach and we still have our giant failure

jauken

I do not know what firing a guy mid-season will do... I was not overly confident in our assistant head coaches.  Hindsight is 20/20- with our situation, it worked about as well as one could hope for.  .. I will rehash for a moment- I am listening to the TN podcast from the Frost mega-thread right now... we are pretty lucky that situation down there makes Peterson stuff look sane.  The villagers have pitchforks and it is not pretty.

Emotionally, hell yes, lets not let him get on the bus from the Oregon game.  But firing CMR would have been a bad mistake.  I think it is ok to float the idea a coach will not be back, and the momentum will catch the "rumor" pretty quick. CMR deserved the treatment he received.  It is pretty rare that an outgoing coach would have the opportunity to conduct a press conference right after their firing and proceeding the AD who let him go.. Speaks volumes of the people involved in the process and something we can be proud of --  in the end, how important is the sport of football?

12 minutes ago, FlipPhone said:

I just wanted to resurrect this thread and ask (in hindsight) if anyone still thinks we should have let Riley go mid-season.  Florida got a solid guy, but not really who they wanted.  TN -- no need to rehash what's happening there.  UCLA may have made out pretty good, but there really wasn't much of a season left anyway by then.

In Moos you should trust.

I do not think they should have done it.  Players are struggling enough with the change now.  There is no way Frost or any other sitting coach was changing until after the season.

4 minutes ago, FlipPhone said:

I just wanted to resurrect this thread and ask (in hindsight) if anyone still thinks we should have let Riley go mid-season.  Florida got a solid guy, but not really who they wanted.  TN -- no need to rehash what's happening there.  UCLA may have made out pretty good, but there really wasn't much of a season left anyway by then.

In Moos you should trust.

No. Both for Nebraska and Scott Frost. Respecting Mike Riley and his support helps to later unite the fan base and respects relationships

players have with their coach.  A sensible, long game approach. Nothing would have been achieved in this instance other than more

distractions and bad feelings being generated.        

I still don't think you accomplish much by firing a head coach mid-to-late season. It appeases the fans and that's about it. Most of what you're saying to the team is 'we've given up on this season and we're looking forward to next.' All of the attention is also put on the coaching search.

But, if you disagree with that, let's be real - Moos has been in head coaching search mode since November 12th. He's been using the same methods of communication places like Florida and Tennessee have been using for weeks. It's all done through agents and representatives, for the most part.

I think it was the right route to go. It allowed his people to work without 100% of the attention being on their work and 'who is next.'

9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I still don't think you accomplish much by firing a head coach mid-to-late season. It appeases the fans and that's about it. Most of what you're saying to the team is 'we've given up on this season and we're looking forward to next.' All of the attention is also put on the coaching search.

But, if you disagree with that, let's be real - Moos has been in head coaching search mode since November 12th. He's been using the same methods of communication places like Florida and Tennessee have been using for weeks. It's all done through agents and representatives, for the most part.

I think it was the right route to go. It allowed his people to work without 100% of the attention being on their work and 'who is next.'

I don't necessarily disagree with that....but how was it any different in function to Nebraska? Was this not a lame duck season? I couldn't say if the players quit, but we can say with some certainty that the longer the season went, the more fans/media quit. By the end of the season, we weren't even talking about the games, and it was that way on every site.

How would things have really changed if we fired him with 5 games to go, or 3 or 1. It's practically impossible for the losses to have been worse down the stretch, with nearly every team, regardless of offensive ineptitude, hanging fifty and getting POTW. 

@brophog I think the biggest difference is focus for the players. Firing a coach mid-season makes everything about the next coach. The players will constantly be questioned about it. The fans and national media will almost exclusively focus on the hiring. Although most people realized change was coming, particularly after the Minnesota game, the players were still able to keep their routine and worry about their play first and foremost. I admit a substantial amount of focus did become about a new coach, but not all of it, and I think that can be impactful in some ways.

That's just my perspective, though. I see both sides of the argument. I can understand why someone thinks firing him mid season would've been better.

1 hour ago, Vizsla1 said:

I do not know what firing a guy mid-season will do... I was not overly confident in our assistant head coaches.  Hindsight is 20/20- with our situation, it worked about as well as one could hope for.  .. I will rehash for a moment- I am listening to the TN podcast from the Frost mega-thread right now... we are pretty lucky that situation down there makes Peterson stuff look sane.  The villagers have pitchforks and it is not pretty.

Emotionally, hell yes, lets not let him get on the bus from the Oregon game.  But firing CMR would have been a bad mistake.  I think it is ok to float the idea a coach will not be back, and the momentum will catch the "rumor" pretty quick. CMR deserved the treatment he received.  It is pretty rare that an outgoing coach would have the opportunity to conduct a press conference right after their firing and proceeding the AD who let him go.. Speaks volumes of the people involved in the process and something we can be proud of --  in the end, how important is the sport of football?

NU turns out looking pretty good at this point assuming SF is hired.  There was no frantic looking @ day 40 of the search like there was wt Peterson.  There are no negativity of firing a 9 win coach as happened wt Bo and Frank.  There was no knee jerk reaction as we've seen in Florida, Tn, and UCLA (who had to do so because their eyes were on Kelly).  In the end, we end up finally with the hottest coach in football.  So I think we can finally bury the negativity around the previous firing/hires going all the way back to Frank.  The way Moos has handled this situation is all top notch by a mature professional.  I believe we will finally have a united fan base, an  exciting young, visionary coach that great recruits will want to play for and hope that we will return to the Nebraska way, relevance, and become a part of the national conversation once again. :restore  Go Big Red

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I didn't see any benefit to fire Riley until the end of the season. I do wish Moos had spoke with Riley a month ago about making immediate changes on defense.  Firing Diaco and making Bray or somebody else DC couldn't have been worse than what we got. 

I can't agree more with this statement. Once SE was toast, Riley had no reason not to "try" to win some games.

5 minutes ago, Vols1891 said:

I know you guys are just jealous of how smoothly our coaching search is going !

We've been through this a few times now, too.  Nothing terribly smooth about the previous ones at all, really.  But, thankfully nothing like what's going on with TN right now.  I feel bad for you guys.  I hope this turns out to be a blessing in disguise for the Vol's.