Defensive Coaching Question

2 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I'd be interested to know  how much is not getting off blocks and how much is being expected to hold the line and take-up blockers for LB's to make plays(that don't end-up getting made). . 

I think that’s a characteristic of Diaco’s defense, but Banker’s was supposedly a more attacking style.

Neither one was dominant even though I think we have reasonable talent on the d-line.  

The thing is, when a safety or LB has a clear 1 on 1 shot at a RB at or before the LOS, then the DLine did its job. That happened over and over in the Minnesota game where guys just whiffed on tackles. I wouldn’t say the DLine is lighting the world on fire, and they’ve had many bad moments as well, but I think they’re doing their jobs decently and that they’ve been really impactful in our wins. I understand not wanting to keep him though or thinking that’s up to the next coach.

The Nebraska twitter posted a short video of D Williams back in camp where he was running a DB drill and he didn’t seem very good at communicating in my opinion. Not that one small clip tells the whole story or anything, but I’ve had my doubts about his coaching acumen since we hired him. I do think he deserves more than one year and would be on board with retaining him if the new coach is as well though.

My red flag with Parrella is that he really didn't have any high level coaching experience when we brought him into the fold - 1 year at Chabot College (best I can tell is a community college in Cali) and 2 years at Northern Michigan (Div 2).  If his name has John Smith and never played at NU we would have been howling at Riley for hiring him.

• Plus1 2

On 11/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, fire mike said:

Agree!

On 11/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, Mavric said:

Obviously the new coach can choose whoever he wants. I just think Parrella and the two Williams would be worth consideration.

Pretty much this. The Williams in the secondary worries me a bit due to the lack of improvement from lamar Jackson, Lee, and Anderson. But on the flip I'm impressed with Bootle and his progression. So I don't know, it's a hard read to get on him.

• Plus1 1

Some stability would be nice. Parrellas guys have been ok in my opinion. Williams even though it has taken a bit longer has 21 playing decent as of late. I feel for a guy who has never played corner, we have seen more progress this season from him than last year. Mind you this includes a scheme change. Throw in Williams’ ability to recruit and I’d say he’s worth more time. A little stability In the secondary couldn’t hurt. Some of these guys have had a new guy every year they were here practically.

To put it bluntly, I don't have the information to even form an opinion.  So much of what we see on the field gets blamed on a position coach but we have no way to know if their hands are tied in one form or another.  Whoever we hire will get to make the decision and I surely won't lose any sleep over it.