Mike Riley

HIHusker

He is a widely respected and well liked guy. I’m sure he did the job to the best of his capabilities. Didn’t really like his football systems or the results but he represented the university with class and dignity and I don’t believe we’ll have to worry about him undermining the program as he leaves. I feel sorry for him, I’m sure he is even more dissatisfied with the results than we were. I wish him and his family the best.

• Plus1 2

He has the best attitude I’ve ever seen. His wife Dee has those medical issues (not starting a rumor, there was an article about it from a couple years ago.), apparently she reacts to industrial products poorly, but it was the first I’d heard of it when I read the article. You’d never known he had outside issues...: he also seems to genuinely love the game of football.

• Plus1 3

Just got home from surfing and relaxing at the beach on this fine Sunday.  I am stoked to see so many respond with encouraging/positive posts.  Thank you everyone who replied for making my day that much better, you are all legends.  This is a brutal season but I'm sure we are going to look back on this as a stepping stone to great things.  Be it SF or whoever, we have nowhere to go but up.  Me Ke Aloha!

• Plus1 1

He did a fantastic job of honoring Sam Foltz after the accident. That could not have been an easy position to be put in, having a team leader pass away like that. But Coach Riley handled that with the utmost respect and class possible. That alone showed the kind of mentor he was and the kind of example he set for these young men who he coached. I wanted it to work for him so badly (and I will for the next coach also) but unfortunately it did not. Lets show Riley the same class and respect that he has shown us on his way out. 

• Plus1 5

I believe Mike came here to calm Husker Nation down after the drama left by Bo’s departure. He did that. He also brought some dignity back to the football program. No, he didn’t pan out as a coach, but it was nice to not be embarrassed by our coach’s behavior on the sidelines (yeah, I know rather be embarrassed by the crappy coaching of our team on national tv) but you can bet the officials like Mike better than our previous coach (although I did like Bo’s fire, I didn’t like it out of control which it was on several occasions!) Anyway, thanks for bringing a modicum of respect and dignity back to the game of football here at Nebraska.  Best wishes on your further endeavors. 

Edited by ladyhawke
  • Plus1 1

Mike showed that nice guys don't finish last, kinda. I've said that his character is better suited for the underdog. The major step up to Nebraska was too big to handle, and not in his deck of cards. The hoorah approach doesn't work at a program like ours. I wish him well. Him and his $170k per month for the next 4 years...

• Plus1 2